GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FREEOLA - formmail script changes!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/07 at 19:42
Regular
On your status page you have just added:

"Resolving PHP/CGI email issues on the server.: We are in the process of correcting a minor misconfiguration on the web servers which allowed mail to be sent without correctly specifying who the mail was sent from. If you are currently making use of a Formmail script or PHP email, please make sure that any emails your script tries to send are configured to be sent as coming from a Freeola Hosted email address."

Can Freeola say if this means you now MUST use the 'from' field in your forms?

The Freeola help pages say:

"From:You can also set the from field; this will be reflected in the "From:" field in your mail client, i.e. the sender of the email. So if you have more than one form you can easily see which is which.
"

I don't use this field - but if it is now to become mandatory then can you say how much notice you are giving before the changes take affect?

The formmail issues have been going on for quite a while so I hope if this field is now mandatory you don't suddenly introduce it without proper notice!

Thanks in advance from a slightly worried user!
Tue 27/03/07 at 14:56
Regular
My forms are here within mins so no probs at my end time 3pm ish
Tue 27/03/07 at 09:42
Regular
I've just tested a form using the Freeola script and one using a custom script and they both came through within a couple of minutes.

Have you still got the problem this morning?
Mon 26/03/07 at 21:11
Regular
I am trying to update the script for the form on my website but emails are taking 4hrs to come through. Can you please explain?
Sun 25/03/07 at 17:20
Regular
Hi Bob
just a thought if you are re writing the form script again, is there anyway that when some one uses the FORM to Mail process that once the message is sent that they (the sender) gets the autoresponder if one is set up? at present if some one emials and its set up they get the autoresponder but its dosent work on form to mail. Hope that makes sense?

Kev

Bob wrote:
> Hi guys, just so you know I'm planning on making a new version of
> this script which will have both a Reply To option and the
> ability to put some kind of security verification in place to
> stop spammers, not sure which method I'll use yet but there will
> be something. Unfortunatly I'm rather busy with the end of our
> billing system transfer and some other new projects so I cannot
> tell you when these will be up just yet, just wanted to let you
> know they are on the way.
Sat 24/03/07 at 14:55
Regular
I've been 'fine tuning' my latest sites Tectite formmail script most of today! Responses have been under 10 minutes most of the day, which is fine.

In the last hour things have slowed to around 40 minutes - no doubt down to the amount of people revamping and testing their forms!
Sat 24/03/07 at 13:05
Regular
"Gravity always wins"
My forms are coming through ok within 10 mins.
Am I right in thinking that the recent changes won't stop YOU being spammed with your own form but will stop your form being hijacked and used to spam others.
Bob has mentioned adding a CAPTCHA ("Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart") security feature to the Freeola script to foil spambots.
Sat 24/03/07 at 11:53
Regular
Just tried one of my forms and it arrived almost immediately and have been receiving genuine messages from other forms today so cant say I am having any problems

Kev
Sat 24/03/07 at 10:38
Regular
"Why me?"
It's started again. Ten spammed and hi-jacked form to mail this morning and ten yesterday with none of the legitimate ones coming through. Is anyone else suffering?
Fri 23/03/07 at 17:50
Regular
Thanks for the info Bob.

Can you (or someone who understands this more than me) take another look at my problem code: [URL]http://www.gwd.freeola.net/form/[/URL]
I've abandoned BFormmail. It did what I wanted but I was wasting too much time resolving the redirect problem. I've installed the Tectite script - which allows me to send the email and update text file. I can also format the email with HTML so it looks much better. It allows CAPTCHA, but I'm only going to use that if the SPAM situation should get worse.

I've found out that the problem is connected with the 'redirect' option.
If I don't use the redirect form field to send the visitor to my 'thankyou' page then the message arrives as quick as a Freeola script one; but when I use the redirect option (which successfully does the redirect) the text file gets updated but the email never arrives!?

I've just started testing my favourite formmail from TECTITE, but the BFormMail one is much quicker to set up.

NB. Or as Garin mentioned elsewhere you could provide an option to log messages in a text file as well as create an email.
I'm a 'belt-n-braces' sort of person so want both in case there is another 'sendmail' problem as this recent experience has been very painful for me!
Fri 23/03/07 at 17:15
Regular
Hi guys, just so you know I'm planning on making a new version of this script which will have both a Reply To option and the ability to put some kind of security verification in place to stop spammers, not sure which method I'll use yet but there will be something. Unfortunatly I'm rather busy with the end of our billing system transfer and some other new projects so I cannot tell you when these will be up just yet, just wanted to let you know they are on the way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.