GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The True Crime demo is..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'True Crime: Streets of LA'.
Tue 09/09/03 at 18:57
Regular
Awful to say the very least. He dances like a t*t when you go to shoot and the controls are very poorly laid out. Graphically its a step back from the GTA series and the driving sections are on a par with Enter the Matrix. I was shocked at how poor it was all round and considering the amount of hype surrounding it I wasn't surprised to see it turn out to be way below average. Its a shame to be honest as they couldn't have picked two worse levels to show the game off. The other huge disappointment was Rugby 2004 which is nothing like the original and no where near as good. Companies seem to be taking steps backwards these days and the word "progression" is something that EA are yet to comprehend with in any way shape or form.

On a good note I enjoyed the Colin McRae and Freedom Fighters demo but Soul Calibur 2 for me was just an upgrade of the first one and not a touch on Dead or Alive 3. I will have a bash on the Amplitude demo later along with the Zone of Enders and Formula One demos. Not a bad mag this month though and the demo disc rocks muchos!

Your views on the games on offer?
Wed 10/09/03 at 13:51
Regular
He has appeared in John Woo films before and then of course Romeo Must Die. He sounds like a girl on the demo and I am still struggling to find something good to sy about it...
Wed 10/09/03 at 13:49
Regular
"A man with a stick"
So they hired an actor for his voice over? He's no credit to his acting abilities then, it's no wonder I haven't heard of him before.
Wed 10/09/03 at 13:43
Regular
Its the guy from Romeo Must Die. Russel Wong I believe.
Wed 10/09/03 at 12:18
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I think the game could be quite good if it lives up to it's big ambitions. 250 miles of LA to explore, 120 missions as well as random generated missions to avoid the boredom of games like GTA who have you mindlessly collecting boxes all day, but I'll wait for reviews first, The Getaway wasn't exactly a stellar game, enjoyable but hardly groundbreaking.

Also, the demo was pants, lasted about three minutes tops and didn't give you a feel for the game. Another reason why I'll be waiting for the reviews, since I can't trust the demo. And, is it me or is the guy you control have one of the most annoying voice overs ever? Christ he got on my nerves with his stupid one liners and childish squeelings.
Wed 10/09/03 at 12:07
Regular
On the slowdown note Colin McRae runs into considerable slowdown but I guess thats because its only 80% complete. Either way I will get the Xbox version for Dolby Digital so hopefully it won't be there in the final code of any of ther versions.

I am off to have a bash on ZOE2 and a few others before I go to College for one mesely bloody 1 and a half :)
Wed 10/09/03 at 01:36
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Ghost Recon is coming out for the PS2 but I've already got the first one and didn't like it (too many glitches). CDS2 agreed, too samey, didn't really enjoy the first one that much anyhow, don't know why, but it just didn't do anything for me.

SOCOM 2 is probably the best one out there for me personally as I like the gameplay.

I thought Freedom Fighters was great, a lot better than I expected it to be and a wholly surprising graphical style, I didn't realise the demo was timed because I completed it so quickly I guess.

The worst thing they did was put a timer on the Fire Warrior demo. On the early code we got in beta there was no timer and the difficulty was a lot easier, so a lot of people won't get as far as the best bits inside the complex like getting the right key-cards, frying some of the guards with force fields at doors nor get to take down the harrier-type dropship boss at the end, which is a prime example of some of this game's set-pieces, it's truly a great game.

Same with the Amplitude demo. Though I guess it's a good thing they put a timer on it or I'd be playing it all day :)

True Crime truly sucked, I hated it. Finding Nemo on the other hand, although a kiddies game, I still enjoy, so does my nephew so I might get it for him for Chrimbo.

ZOE 2 is just incredible, some people reported slowdown but I haven't had any yet, and Sphinx was a nice surprise although the genre is starting to get done to death now. It's a shame I've already got so many fighting games or I'd have pre-ordered Soul Calibur 2 by now but I just can't justify it. Colin McRae I GADded as soon as I discovered the 'trash your suspension' section, that was just too much fun :)

The rest of the games on there aren't worth mentioning because they're either horrible, not me or done to death by other previous titles already.
Tue 09/09/03 at 23:48
Regular
I am going back to the demo disk now and I will trawl through the other games and have another bash on Freedom Fighters. With 3 consoles to support I don't want to make a stupid decision by buying this if its not for me.
Tue 09/09/03 at 23:45
Regular
Freedom Fighters is puzzling me. I will opt for the Xbox version for the Dolby Digital and smoother visuals if I decide to get it however I'm not entirely convinced. I love the idea and I like the execution of it. Maybe a timed demo isn't the best way to decide whether to get a game or not. I have read reviews ranging from 7 - 9/10 so its definitley a decent game. Anything from 7 upwards is worthy of a look in my opinion, the chances are I will buy it and then take it back before the 10 day period is up and swap it for something else.

Anyone else stuck with this predicament? I have Conflict Desert Storm but I want something different and CDS2 is apparently identical to the first which is a major bummer.
Tue 09/09/03 at 22:10
Regular
I just can't honestly see how every one rated the game (OPS2 etc) when they had actually played the game themselves. From the demo i would think that 6/10 is a fair score for the game.
Tue 09/09/03 at 21:52
Regular
Graphics don't make a game though and thats why I was willing to over look them providing there was some Max Payne meets Hitman 2 style gameplay. I knew it wouldn't happen though...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.