GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone got Raw 2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'WWE Raw 2'.
Fri 03/10/03 at 11:14
Regular
"Touched!"
Not seen anyone mention it and its out today, is anyone bothering? it looks ok but i'm still not 100% sure, any thoughts would be nice, thanks!
Tue 07/10/03 at 21:41
Regular
"8==="
When the CPU opponents go into 'repetitive pinning mode' every couple of matches that's frustrating but it is sweet to finally get up and explode a barrage of moves at them!

I just won King of the Ring which was quite tough, on the next day I managed to totally beat my enemies through surprise attacks so on the next match I had after that day they came in an helped during a tag team match.

So there's me (Test) and Billy Kidman and I've tagged Kidman in so he's hammering the Rock and incomes Steiner and Scott Dudley to give us extra help. Six people (including Rock's team partner, whose name I've forgotten) all having a massive brawl! I'm expecting my enemies to pounce on Kidman but they're helping me out instead! So I think that the match'll end in DQ and the Rock + other guy'll win but they don't.

Then it comes up with a little cut scene showing Stacey Kiebler (who's on my side) chatting to Bubba Ray (enemy) and it comes up with a caption of 'respect'!

So it looks like my enemies have decided it's not worth taking me on!

Gob-smackingly crazy! :D

It's gonna be fun seeing what happens next.

Also I've noticed it keeps rivalries going which aren't in your enemies list but whom you go after every so often anyway. This is very cool and adds to the diversity.
Tue 07/10/03 at 18:33
Regular
"8==="
Savatt78 wrote:
>
I'm the champ and my
> popularity is at 100 - and yet, I'm still harrassed by bottom of the
> barrel, crappy wrestlers like Crash, Orten and Norwinski.

Try to get some different enemies by doing surprise attacks on the better wrestlers, or failing that, change your rivals in the create-a-wrestler mode.

But as it stands, this IS the sequel and
> they haven't done a lot to build on the first game. Its a major rush
> job and its disappointing to see this from a company that have a
> really good reputation for their wrestling games. Its pretty much as
> though they don't give a toss about XBox consumers and have just
> shoved the WWE name on the shelf to make a quick bit of cash.
> Cheers guys, thanks.

I always thought that was the Smackdown licence. :S

As sequels go this is good, very good. Plenty of matches, plenty of customisation, more moves than No Mercy, good collision detection (although they've toned it down so you don't hit your team-mates quite as much as in the original RAW or get your moves stopped mid-move). I like the career mode but stories would be a nice option, however if they the stories like the ones in No Mercy it wouldn't take long to go through all the possible outcomes - I actually prefer the season mode as it is now.

I wouldn't call this game a 'rush job' at all there's plenty of new things and expanded modes, they've taken away the stamina meter (which works considering the route they've taken), improved the controls (Now 'pin', 'showoff/taunt' and 'pick up weapon' are all assigned different buttons and not the same one), re-made the items system, introduced more characters, put in a lot of new matches, expanded the CAW mode, put in all the belts and introduced a fun system of stuff to do backstage.

Oh and one small thing: The career mode is also 4 player!!

So it's hardly a 'rush job' or a shoddy use of the licence/ If you want to see examples of that may I refer you to the god-awful copies of Smackdown 1 and 2.
Mon 06/10/03 at 23:45
"slightlyshortertagl"
Wrong list :-P

Look at the topic called 'XBox LIVE Gamertags - Definaive List'.

:-D
Mon 06/10/03 at 23:29
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Have you sent a request to me ? If I'm already supposed to be on your list then I'm probably on there ok - if you made a spelling mistake then you would have been told that the name doesn't exist. ;-)
Mon 06/10/03 at 22:43
"slightlyshortertagl"
Sav, have I got you down properly on my LIVE List thingy?
Mon 06/10/03 at 22:36
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Oh and I like the vs screen - just like they do on TV. cool.
Mon 06/10/03 at 20:56
Regular
Sav, bloody hurry up and sell RAW 2 before I kick your ass!
Mon 06/10/03 at 20:08
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah I know what you mean - I had that belt hanging problem too. Ended up hanging there for like 2 minutes - in the end I kept my title cause the match ended as a draw with me hanging there. ;-))

Same goes for putting ladders and tables in the ring. I tried so many ways to get them in the ring with no result - in the end I had to wait for my opponent to put it in the ring for me, then smash his face in.

As for the belt wearing, thing is with putting them on from the create a wrestler area is that you tend to wear it constantly - I just want to carry around on me then take it off for matches. Helps to show your status and stuff. As far as this game goes, it doesn't even mention that you're the champ as you make your way to the ring.

But then theres so much left out of this - the only reason I'm keeping it right now is cause I have 2 friends that have it so we can have a laugh in the multiplayer season. Another guy I know at my workplace got it and took it back the next day. Can't blame him for doing so as its hard to defend the game as being any real good.

For all the things I've said I hate it for though, I'll mention a few things that I like about it, just so other people have the full view of it in my opinion.

The graphics are really nice, a lot crisper than other wrestling games. Some might also back me up on this when I say that in most wrestling games, the created wrestlers you put out always look of cack quality when compared to the detail in face, etc to the superstars of the game. In this game, your created wrestlers tend to look just as good as the proper wrestlers.

Another excellent idea is the way you can really mess around with your entrance (again for created wrestlers). In games like Smackdown, you either steal an existing wrestlers entrance and music, or you can select one of the crappy invented ones the game offers. In RAW 2 however, you get more to mess around with. Even if you steal a wrestlers entrance, you can really modify it with various lighting effects, pyro effects, fog, etc. Plus of course you can use your own soundtracks from the hard drive. I've actually spent a lot of time tinkering with my er, entrance.

The chance to interupt a wrestlers entrance and beat the hell outta them - and of course stuff like surprise attacks on people.

Now, when it comes to the season mode, there are a few good points, but theres also bad stuff as well. I managed to get Molly as my manager and eventually had her playing a part in some of my matches - theres even moments where my character has dates - but theres always something poxy to stop me scoring and that something is always some crap wrestler who decides to beat on me for no real reason !
Also, I'm well into the season mode now, I'm the champ and my popularity is at 100 - and yet, I'm still harrassed by bottom of the barrel, crappy wrestlers like Crash, Orten and Norwinski. These are the smelly losers that keep jumping me while I'm trying to score with Molly and Trish. I'm the champ, I've wiped the floor with Stone Cold, The Rock, Goldberg - you name them, I've beaten them.
But then watch how the "mighty" Crash storms into a room I've taken a girl into and beats me, leaving me slumped against a wall. Yes, it looks as stupid as it sounds.

Of course as soon as I have these skanks in the ring, I beat them to the point where they're screaming like stuck pigs. By now I should really be getting some decent rivals.
Then of course comes the real lack of story. Its hard to even feel too involved as theres no talking or text to read. You just see a character on screen moving their lips and stuff, or someone will attack you, etc. Its a game that shows potential as if its the first of a series. If this was the first game rather than the second, then you could forgive a lot of stuff wrong with it and even hold some enthusiasm for a sequel. But as it stands, this IS the sequel and they haven't done a lot to build on the first game. Its a major rush job and its disappointing to see this from a company that have a really good reputation for their wrestling games. Its pretty much as though they don't give a toss about XBox consumers and have just shoved the WWE name on the shelf to make a quick bit of cash.
Cheers guys, thanks.
Mon 06/10/03 at 12:34
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
The one move i could never get to work on raw 1 was the peoples elbow. when i came off the 2nd rope the other guy would always be back on his feet.
This looks great on raw 2 as does hulks finisher.
And yes bigger stars wont have anything to do with you when you first start off.
One question. how the hell do u get the belts down in a ladder match??
My bloke just hangs up there for ages and my fingers give up before i can get the belt down. What makes it worse is the computer jumps up and gets the belt down in a matter of seconds.
Sun 05/10/03 at 23:19
Regular
"8==="
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Do I hear wedding bells?

*Gasps*

Don't Memo'll get jealous. ;)

We both like our multiplayer games and our Xbox collections are pretty similar.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.