GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RTCW first impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 01:08
Regular
So far very nice. Slightly over looked at the time of its release due to many other games across the Cube and Xbox which I purchased instead of this. Its only on a 2 night rental from Blockbusters and by all accounts the offline mode won't need a time in excess of 12 hours to finish. Enjoying it so far though, just got into the tombs having only played it for about 1 hour. Looking forward to carrying on with it tomorrow as it looks and feels like a title which builds up over time to leave a decent overall impression.

The character models look decent, not many jaggies and the texture rate is pretty high. Not entirely convinced by the graphical level of the weapons though and all the ones I have used so far look like they have been superficially glued on. The environments are well detailed and with a high level of interaction there are lots of things lying around to be destroyed.

From an audio point of view the Dolby soundtrack rocks muchly. Nice channel seperation, good use of the sub and some gritty sounding weapons. Can't complain here.

So overall its impressed me so far and hopefully will continue to impress me. I am looking for a decent LIVE title to pick up and this may well be the one I go for. Nothing ground breaking but a pretty solid shooter with some nice ideas.

Rocking muchly so far!
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:43
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Pretty much agree with GB there.

I enjoy the odd game of Battlefield 1942 every now and then, and it's bloody good fun for the most part, but it really does depend on who you're playing with and against. You can have great fun in a game with like-minded (read: normal) people, but you can also get stuck in games with some real goons (some of whom you can guess are cheating or just mess up the game by team-killing over and over). And don't get me started on bloody clans.

I have no experience of Live because I don't see the point in having to pay out subscription charges to play games I can play better versions of on a PC. So Live maybe great to some people, but it just doesn't seem too amazing to someone who can experience pretty much the same thing without having to shell out loads of extra cash for the pleasure of being thrashed again and again.

Online gaming is fun, but I wouldn't use it as a major selling point for a console/game, because the majority of gamers nowadays are normal folk who don't enjoy the geek factor that online gaming brings. They want simple fun with a beginning, a middle and an end, not to go online and get whipped by some serious nerd.

Online gaming is not the problem, it's the hardcore geeks that ruin it by either cheating or being too good/obsessed with a game.
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:33
Regular
"Remember me?"
There's still a lot of fun to be had with online gaming. The games that people tend to take too seriously are team-based games like Wolfenstein or, like you mentioned, Counter-Strike... but I've still had a lot of fun with Wolfenstein beacause I've been lucky to enough to come across some really good people who are genuinely just there to have fun. Like on Saturday, I played a load of Wolfenstein matches with these two Yorkshire types on my team. We lost every game except one, but we were having a right laugh doing it.

Plus, games like Midtown Madness 3 are fun pretty much every time you log on to a game. I must've played hundreds of games of MM3 by now and have only found a few of them crap because of those persistant people who need to find ways to cheat in every game (though what's really great is when you KNOW they're cheating and you manage to beat them anyway).
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Online gaming sucks balls.
Welcome to PC-Land 4 years ago.

You either get cheating muppets that don't understand it's supposed to be fun, resulting in your constant death again and again and again and again and again until you log off
OR
You get a bunch of screaming mongers that are upset because you didn't follow the orders of a 9yr old smeared in camo-paint in his parent's basement playing Counterstrike.

It's fun for an hour, but then soon degenerates into yawnapalooza with aimbots, wall-hacks and cheaters.
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:18
Regular
"Remember me?"
Belldandy wrote:
> For me, Mech Assault remains the most memorable and most played game
> on LIVE, I want a game to come along like that where I literally
> cannot wait to get it and play it, not "Generic Shooter That's
> Got Live Options So Buy It 2".

MechAssault is nothing to shout out about really. That does pretty much nothing to improve upon the "generic shooters" that you're talking about. Live play is just running around, holding down the trigger, with no scope for avoiding gunfire because all the mechs move around far too slowly.

I might give SOF2 a go once it's come down in price a little... or rent it, and buy it straight away if I take a shine to it.
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:18
Regular
That's a really intresting opinion Bell.

But my opinion of your opinion, is that your opinion sucks. You obviously haven't given these games enough play time to actually know what you're talking about. If you seriously think that all shooting games are pretty much the same then that shows me how little you know.
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:15
Regular
Yup.

There's quite a few different game modes and stuff.

Elimination owns though.
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:15
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I think SOF2 and RTCW are both pretty crap games propped up by rather bland LIVE options.

A slightly worrying trend in Xbox games is developing - mediocre games sell and get good reviews "because they're LIVE". To me, LIVE is pretty disappointing once more and at this point I'll not be resubscribing because it just is not worth it. It's not offering anything new anymore, and all that's on the horizon is yet more FPS games which, lets face it, are all pretty much the same except with different graphics. Midtown Madness 3 was a step in the right direction but let down by glitches, appaling graphics and a lack of any extra content.

For me, Mech Assault remains the most memorable and most played game on LIVE, I want a game to come along like that where I literally cannot wait to get it and play it, not "Generic Shooter That's Got Live Options So Buy It 2".
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:12
Regular
"Remember me?"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> You can do objective matches if you want, like demolition where you
> have to plant bombs on certain areas of the map and make sure the
> other team don't defuse them before they blow up.

> Elmination is far better though, no respawns so you have to be pretty
> tactical when playing.

And this is all on Soldier of Fortune?
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:11
Regular
You can do objective matches if you want, like demolition where you have to plant bombs on certain areas of the map and make sure the other team don't defuse them before they blow up.

Elmination is far better though, no respawns so you have to be pretty tactical when playing. Certainly don't run in all guns blazing like you do in deathmatch or Unreal Championship.
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:11
Regular
Personally- I hate this it is far too dark and really boring

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.