GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RTCW first impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 01:08
Regular
So far very nice. Slightly over looked at the time of its release due to many other games across the Cube and Xbox which I purchased instead of this. Its only on a 2 night rental from Blockbusters and by all accounts the offline mode won't need a time in excess of 12 hours to finish. Enjoying it so far though, just got into the tombs having only played it for about 1 hour. Looking forward to carrying on with it tomorrow as it looks and feels like a title which builds up over time to leave a decent overall impression.

The character models look decent, not many jaggies and the texture rate is pretty high. Not entirely convinced by the graphical level of the weapons though and all the ones I have used so far look like they have been superficially glued on. The environments are well detailed and with a high level of interaction there are lots of things lying around to be destroyed.

From an audio point of view the Dolby soundtrack rocks muchly. Nice channel seperation, good use of the sub and some gritty sounding weapons. Can't complain here.

So overall its impressed me so far and hopefully will continue to impress me. I am looking for a decent LIVE title to pick up and this may well be the one I go for. Nothing ground breaking but a pretty solid shooter with some nice ideas.

Rocking muchly so far!
Wed 08/10/03 at 00:11
Regular
Rainbow Six 3, Amped 2 and Project Gotham 2 are already on my must get list. Rallisport 2 no as I didn't enjoy the first.

I don't want too many online games that have ballax single player modes otherwise I am going to be left with no cash and too many games aimed towards LIVE. I might just go with SOF2 and then wait for Amped, Rainbow 6 3 and PGR2. I want to know some who are getting Rainbow Six 3 though as it makes it much more fun. I get the impression from Tilta that he doesn't really want anything to do with me across Xbox LIVE or on here yet he is the only one I konw who is getting R63.

Back to the drawing board I guess.
Wed 08/10/03 at 00:08
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Ali wrote:
> Played it a bit more tonight and am getting tired and a bit bored.

The Tombs? Fighting crapy zombies?

Yea that bit's sh**e.
Wed 08/10/03 at 00:06
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Ali wrote:
> Looks like I will go with Mech Assault and SOF2 for LIVE.

Mech Assault yea go for it but I wouldn't get SOF2. Wolfenstine has a average single player and great online play but SOF2 has a dire single player(dreadful unpolished port i might add) and, according to mags, solid, but nothing special online play.

Then again Tiltawhirl swears by SOF2 for good online play. Might you not be better waiting for Rainbow 6 3 anyway? Possibly PGR2, Amped 2 and rallisport 2? They're all LIVE titles.
Tue 07/10/03 at 23:53
Regular
Played it a bit more tonight and am getting tired and a bit bored. It doesn't have the touch of brilliance which the likes of Halo, Half Life and Deus EX have and its all a little dull.

Looks like I will go with Mech Assault and SOF2 for LIVE.
Tue 07/10/03 at 23:52
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I rented Wolfenstein a while ago too and got roughly half way through- according to a guide- in 2 days. The single player is around average really, a lack of polish lets it down, however LIVE play on Wolfenstein is really great and makes the game shine.

Having played it online on a mates PC, the matchs (objective mode) are what its all about. Not just kill everyone sprees, but goals and points to each match. Played Assault mode on Unreal Tournament? Kinda like that but alot better. Trust me, if you like the single player game, online it will really impress. Team play is what its all about.

IMO, fun Online gaming sucess depend on two factors- connection (Broadband is really only serious option) and the people you play with. Get a few "mates" (people you vaguely know or wo arn't gimps) in a game and you'll have a laugh. Simple.
Tue 07/10/03 at 17:08
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> If you seriously think that all shooting
> games are pretty much the same then that shows me how little you
> know.

They are. Sure, they have cosmetic differences, but ultimately it's running around putting bullets/grenades into the other people/team and hoping a sniper doesn't pick you off. No matter the game mode, that's the ultimate end of all FPS games. In single player FPS can be different, but online it's all the same bar graphics and cosmetic things.
Tue 07/10/03 at 16:48
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Toca is being re-released for £20 with Full online support.
Should be good.
Tue 07/10/03 at 13:06
Regular
"Remember me?"
Well like I say, I have never really had that much trouble with people being "too good" or cheating in the 4 months I've had Xbox Live; only the odd occasion. And even if they're too good, I'll stay in the game, though if they're blatantly cheating I'll leave (or boot them if I'm hosting).
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
You know the kind of people I mean. The kind that rack up 10 or 20 times as many kills as we mere mortals can manage.
Tue 07/10/03 at 12:52
Regular
"Remember me?"
Totoro wrote:
> Online gaming is not the problem, it's the hardcore geeks that ruin
> it by either cheating or being too good/obsessed with a game.

So how good do you have to be at a game to be defined as "too good"?! I beat people online, and wouldn't even THINK of claiming I was really good at games. For the most part, I'm crap at them. In the time it takes most people on this forum to complete 5 games, you'd be lucky if I'd completed 1. And yet I beat a lot of people online.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.