GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ati Radeon Fans"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 19:14
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
What are the differences between ati radeon and geforce 4 ti 128 mb graphics cards? and what is a PRO card all about? does it work faster?
CHEERS!!!!
Mon 13/10/03 at 18:28
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Bit of sensible advice -

If it's not your own (a great deal of us on here are using our own machines), then don't go messing around with FSB's, clock multipliers etc...

Admittedly, the chances of you actually knackering your P4 are slim, but just imagine if it DID happen...what would you say to your old man? Deny it and have the guilt on your shoulders, or own up and prepare for a serious spanking? ;)

Just my 2p worth.
Mon 13/10/03 at 16:10
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hoo. I think I may not have a 9200 then, because Direct X9 works fine with mine........

I updated some drivers as Homeworld II said I should......and thats a DX9 game I think.

How the hell do you overclock? I'd like to, but I'm a bit scared of

A) Destroying my (dads) PC through fire/heat etc
B) Techy stuff
Mon 13/10/03 at 11:24
Regular
"uncopyable"
Snipe® wrote:
> bloody hell bit boring techy stuff :|

Sorry ;-)
Mon 13/10/03 at 11:10
Regular
bloody hell bit boring techy stuff :|
Mon 13/10/03 at 09:44
Regular
"uncopyable"
Cyclone wrote:
> O hallowed Safedisc; (seriously)

Hmmmm. I this I detect a hint of sarcasm there ;-)

> I have just got a P4 2600, 512MB ram
Sounds good. It'd be interesting to know what sort of P4 it is, like what the bus speed is (533Mhz, 800Mhz), and equally I wonder what speed RAM you have and also what mobo you are running, but it doesn't really matter - that is a decent set-up. Ever thought of OC'ing that P4?
I have a P4c (c = 800Mhz FSB) 2.4 gig running at 3gig stable as anything - only about 50 degrees C under full load! Adds quite a bit to the bandwidth and overall speed.
Just a thought.

ATI Radeon 9200 PC.
Hmm, chanced of this card playing HL2 at a good resolution (1024 x 768?) and at high frame rates are minimal IMHO - and also remember that the 9200 is not a DX9 compliant card - so pixel shaders, HDR and other nice new effects that HL2 uses won't be available to you. It WILL run the game, but you are gonna’ need to run in a lower resolution (800 X 600) and knock a few of the settings down a bit.

Well that is what I would guess at this time judging by benchmarks released by Value at the ATI Shader Day event.

The video card is quite obviously the bottleneck of an otherwise good system.

Still with HL2 put back to April 2004 - you've got plenty of time to save up and get a better video card for the release. :-)

Nice
Sat 11/10/03 at 20:39
Regular
"gsybe you!"
O hallowed Safedisc; (seriously)

I have just got a P4 2600, 512MB ram, ATI Radeon 9200 PC. Graphics card being the most obvious weakness, but I can run Unreal II perfectly etc.

It plays everything dandy now, but will it cope with HL2 etc.

It better do!

Grrr...
Fri 10/10/03 at 17:56
Regular
"uncopyable"
Notorious Biggles wrote:

>
> However for £109 I can get a 128Mb 9600 Pro.

So I think I'll go with the ATI card and get it... from SR
> obviously.

A wise decision indeed.
Fri 10/10/03 at 17:27
"I love yo... lamp."
The prices I was using were using were from a local PC shop.

Must be out of stock on some of the cards now, as the 5600 Ultra isn't there now.

However for £109 I can get a 128Mb 9600 Pro. Or a 256Mb 5600 standard. So I think I'll go with the ATI card and get it... from SR obviously.
Fri 10/10/03 at 16:02
Regular
"uncopyable"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I doubt he knows too much.
>
> Oh hallowed safedisc
>
> 9600 Pro or FX 5600 Ultra? Both 256 Mb. And similar price.

Notorious Biggles wrote:
>
> Oh hallowed safedisc
>

You can never know too much. You can only learn more :-p

And I (and anyone else of a sane mind) would go for a 9600Pro without hesitation.

A 9600Pro is faster than a 5600 Ultra in also every game that is currently available, and if we look to the future, the 9600Pro pulls even further ahead. Try running HL2 or Doom 3 on your FX with full Floating point precision and you’re in for a nasty shock. And that is before we even get into the FPS of the card.

However, the other (and arguably more important) question here is why would you go for the 256MB version? There is just no real gain of this amount of video RAM on cards of this power – and that is relevant to both the FX and Radeon card. It’s just a waste of cash.

Bottom line, the extra video memory on the current ‘level’ of cards is just not worth the cash. You are talking about 10 FPS improvement at ultra high resolutions (read: 1600 X 1200) with X4 AA and X16 AS. Video memory is used for texture etc, but I can’t think of a single game that would use 128MB of video RAM! Okay, HL2 and Doom 3 might use more the 128MB, but the extra RAM will be useless on these games because the GPU of the video card isn’t quick enough. It’s just a marketing gimmick – not unlike the AGP x* thing. But don’t get me started on that :-)

Even on the FX 5900 Ultra and 9800XT (which has 256MB RAM) the gains are simply not worth your cash.

Just checked on a few websites and for roughly the same price as a 5600 Ultra you can get a Radeon Asus Radeon 9600XT! I know which one I would go for.
Fri 10/10/03 at 15:28
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
>
> Oh hallowed safedisc
>

I've personally got a FX 5600. Not the greatest, but makes a massive difference on my machine. For some reason I've always been loyal to Nvidea.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.