GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ati Radeon Fans"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 19:14
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
What are the differences between ati radeon and geforce 4 ti 128 mb graphics cards? and what is a PRO card all about? does it work faster?
CHEERS!!!!
Tue 21/10/03 at 13:54
Regular
I use the Omega Catalysts anyway..
Tue 21/10/03 at 12:01
Regular
Alot?! The rest are not moaning to them about it cos we haven't modded or overclocked too much!
Tue 21/10/03 at 11:54
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Alot of people are reporting that the 3.8's cause some cards to overheat. I havent found that on my Radeon 9800 Pro but as I have no way of measuring the temp I cant tell. System seems fine so I dont think its doing any thing. Cat 3.9 will probably be out pretty soon if it is found that the 3.8's are causing cards to overheat.
Tue 21/10/03 at 09:56
Regular
"uncopyable"
Belldandy wrote:
> New driver's (Catalyst 3.8) available from ATI now.

Well, i guess better late than never.

The Cat 3.8's have been out for a while now, no speed improvements, but a couple of nice features and the IQ is still great.
Sat 18/10/03 at 18:34
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
New driver's (Catalyst 3.8) available from ATI now.
Tue 14/10/03 at 21:53
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yah, that DirectX9 thing makes sense. I imagine all the new games will make use of new stuff. New card may be on the table then........
Tue 14/10/03 at 10:45
Regular
"uncopyable"
Cyclone wrote:
> Hoo. I think I may not have a 9200 then, because Direct X9 works fine
> with mine........
>
> I updated some drivers as Homeworld II said I should......and thats a
> DX9 game I think.

All video cards will WORK with DX9 - even a TNT2 or Voodoo 3! DX is backward compatible (to a point, but I can't be bothered to go into that now), so if you like - DX9 is DX 8.1 PLUS a whole bunch of new features as well.

Your card (whatever it may be) will work no problem as you are effetely using the DX 8.1 'section' of DX9 - however, the problem is when you want to use one of the new features that DX9 bring to the table, you aren't going to be able to because you card is only DX 8 compliant.

Hope that makes sense. :-)

>
> How the hell do you overclock? I'd like to, but I'm a bit scared of
>
> A) Destroying my (dads) PC through fire/heat etc
> B) Techy stuff

Hmmm, well as UA said, if you haven't got a clue how to OC then it's prolly best to start dabbling as you may mess up your machine.

However, blowing a P4 is pretty much impossible even if you OC way to much - the system won't even boot with a radical OC, so there is no danger of you frying the chip. Only issue is knowing how to clear the CMOS if this happens.

But if it’s something you want to do, then your best bet is to read some guides and FAQs on the better tech forums.

Just remember, no one is born with the knowledge to do anything, and OC PC hardware is exactly the same :-)
Mon 13/10/03 at 22:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Well, its our PC (me and brothers) just dad bought it for all of us, quite recently at obscene cost.......

Y'know.
Mon 13/10/03 at 19:12
Regular
9800 non pro if you can.
Not going into that technical stuff..
Mon 13/10/03 at 18:44
Regular
Overclocking can be fun and gets you to understand the PC techy stuff. Although I wouldn't mess with it on a PC which isn't yours :)

Bah i'm so un-decided right now.

9600PRO

or

9800 non pro

That is the question

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.