GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ati Radeon Fans"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 19:14
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
What are the differences between ati radeon and geforce 4 ti 128 mb graphics cards? and what is a PRO card all about? does it work faster?
CHEERS!!!!
Tue 07/10/03 at 19:14
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
What are the differences between ati radeon and geforce 4 ti 128 mb graphics cards? and what is a PRO card all about? does it work faster?
CHEERS!!!!
Tue 07/10/03 at 20:21
Regular
Pro card is faster indeed.
Tue 07/10/03 at 22:10
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
The Colonel wrote:
> What are the differences between ati radeon and geforce 4 ti 128 mb
> graphics cards? and what is a PRO card all about? does it work
> faster?
> CHEERS!!!!

P.S What is a Radeon Mobility card? is it intergrated?
Tue 07/10/03 at 22:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
The Colonel wrote:
> P.S What is a Radeon Mobility card? is it intergrated?

I dont think it is, but it is for laptops. Your the one that asked about intergrated video on motherboards arent you? Well if your looking at intergrated video then the chipsets are Geforce 4 MX420 cards and basically are crap.

If your deciding to go for a motherboard and then get a seperate card then that great.

Radeon and Geforce 4 Ti cards I dont think are too different. But of course it depends on the model of the cards. The new Radeons, 9200, 9600, 9800 and are Direct X 9 where as older models like the 9500 and 9700 arent. Geforce 4 Ti cards are direct X 8. The old Ti cards where 4x AGP but now they have been redesigned to do 8x AGP. The new Radeon cards are 8x AGP but I think the 9500 and 9700 maybe 4x AGP.

Another factor is money. Special Reserve do a Ti 4200 128mb card for £90 and a Radeon 9600 Pro for £150, you can get them around £120 for a decent make. 9600 Pro is a better card as its direct X 9 as well as being a good performance to price. The Ti cards are still ok but there old hat now and will probably start to show there age in a few months. The Ti 4600 has been rebanded as a Ti 4800 by some compainies and can be found for £150-160 for a gainward model. The Ti 4600/4800 has shown in tests that it can run Halflife 2 in direct X 8 mode pretty well.

So the question is how much money you want to spend? Got £300 spare then maybe go and get the Radeon 9800 Pro as its mega performance. Only got £80 then maybe a Geforce 4 Ti or even a Radeon 9200. Dont forget that a Radeon 9800 Pro is £300 for a reason and the 9200 is £70 also for a good reason. Ask yourself what type of performance you want with the cash your willing to spend. For a good performer than the 9600 Pro is good and at £120 its also pretty cheap.

Another factor is what system this graphics card will go into. Have you a pretty up to date machine?
Wed 08/10/03 at 14:09
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
I have decided to go for a radeon card but i heard somewhere that you can not play the same games as with a geforce card becasuse they have no T&L lighting or open gl is this true
Wed 08/10/03 at 14:48
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I know begger all about the specific features, but pretty much anything will work on either brand (unless you try really old card with new game - obviously). The difference will be how good it looks, it would be silly for a publisher to release something that doesn't work with Radeon cards for numerous reasons, number one being that it would mean a huge chunk of PC users could buy. Also, the cards and games are built to (generally) work within specific standards that come from 3rd Parties i.e. the card makers and the games companies make their kit Direct X 9 compatiable.
Wed 08/10/03 at 15:44
Regular
What you want to do is go to www.anandtech.com and search for specific video cards reviews and compare what is happening.

Different models of card have different functionalities and different features. They run excellent benchmarks on a full suite of up to date games and there really is no better place for getting technical info on computer hardware on the net.
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:25
Regular
"uncopyable"
Oh dear. Why do people talk about technology they blatantly don't understand!

adrian wrote:

> Radeon and Geforce 4 Ti cards I dont think are too different. But of
> course it depends on the model of the cards. The new Radeons, 9200,
> 9600, 9800 and are Direct X 9 where as older models like the 9500 and
> 9700 arent.

WRONG! The 9500 and 9700 were the first DX9 card to the market and are fully DX9 compliant. Come on, this is basic stuff.

> Radeon cards are 8x AGP but I think the 9500 and 9700 maybe 4x AGP.

WRONG! All of the Radeon R3xx line are AGP x8! So thats the 9500, 9500 Pro, 9700, 9700Pro, 9800, 9800Pro, 9600XT and 9800XT.

> The Ti 4600/4800 has shown in tests that it can run Halflife 2
> in direct X 8 mode pretty well.

Hmmm, it depends on your verison of 'pretty well'. When you think a Radeon 9800Pro is struggling to pull an average of 60 FPS in HL2, without any AA or AS, then i think it is safe to assume that a Ti4800 (or any NV25 based card) would get anything like decent performance at antyhing other than the most basic setting, and that is when using the DX8 code path - even the latest nVidia cards (FX range) can't run the full DX9 code path at a playable frame rate.

>
> So the question is how much money you want to spend? Got £300
> spare then maybe go and get the Radeon 9800 Pro as its mega
> performance. Only got £80 then maybe a Geforce 4 Ti or even a
> Radeon 9200.

Easily the best advice given here. See, as long as you don't talk about something you don't understand (i.e. the technology), and stick to common sense, you don't end up looking like a chump.
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:29
Regular
"uncopyable"
The Colonel wrote:
> I have decided to go for a radeon card but i heard somewhere that you
> can not play the same games as with a geforce card becasuse they have
> no T&L lighting or open gl is this true

Not true at all.

The 'Radeon' brand of video cards from ATI have ALWAYS supported T&L. Unless you are going to buy something like an ATI Rage Fury, this is a moot point.

T&L has been a standard feature in video cards for a few years now.
Wed 08/10/03 at 18:14
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Safedisc_V2, read this.

You are quite clearly very knowledgable when it comes to video cards - a video card anorak, some might say. Anyway, the point I want to make is that you need to appreciate most people here simply won't know the kind of details you do and are here to learn and help others.

On both the occasions you slagged off my good friend adrian, you perhaps failed to notice a key phrase in both his statements - 'I think'. This means, incase you're not sure, that he himself is not totally certain on the matter, but is providing some input.

Feel free to correct people when they are wrong or misguided, but there's no need to be sarky, especially if you want to get along with people on here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.