GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soldier of Fortune II"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Soldier of Fortune 2'.
Tue 14/10/03 at 21:28
Regular
"Remember me?"
Traded in my Gamecube today at Game, and managed to get six Xbox games in return:

Freedom Fighters
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
Soul Calibur II
Spider-Man
TimeSplitters 2

They're all good - if not excellent - games, apart from Soldier of Fortune II, which has to be THE worst first person shooter I have ever played in my entire life (possibly excluding Hexen). It's slow, the controls are about as responsive as an angry Whitestripes on a bender and the whole game reeks in regards visuals and audio. Even the gore - which is supposed to be the game's main gimmick - is crap.

I was prepared to stick with it until I had a taste of the Live play, as Tiltawhirl claims it's excellent... but that isn't much cop either. I had a few goes earlier, and wasn't impressed one bit. Compared to the likes of Unreal Championship and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, SOF2's Live is a big pile of steaming dog muck. I may give the game another go later on if I can be bothered. But I can't see that happening.

Good job I have 10 days to take it back before I'm stuck with it for good.
Tue 14/10/03 at 23:43
Regular
"Remember me?"
Unlike most of the people on here, I simply don't have enough time to play on two consoles. Before I traded it in, I hadn't touched the Gamecube in months, excluding the odd go on Smash Bros whenever Edgy comes over.

This is mainly for one reason: Xbox Live.

Live is one of the most enjoyable experiences you can have with an Xbox, and it beats anything that any other console has to offer hands down. I have no doubts that F-Zero, Mario Kart and Viewtiful Joe will all be excellent games but if I bought them, chances are that I would play them for a few days then go back to Live. And I see no point in spending up to £120 on 3 games that I won't play.
Tue 14/10/03 at 23:38
Regular
3 of the best games undoubtably this year and they aren't enough? Seeing as there isn't an Xbox equivalent in any of those released I can't see where you are coming from. Mario Kart is going to rock major style as is F Zero and as does Viewtiful Joe by all accounts. The Xbox doesn't have a game to challenge any of these in their particular style. Oh and I am not talking about an ordinary arcade or racing simulation. F Zero and Mario Kart are different in style and approach.

But if you insist of thinking that the dreadful Spider-Man isn't anything less than diabolical then I guess there isn't much hope :)
Tue 14/10/03 at 23:33
Regular
"Remember me?"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Foolish move with Mario Kart, F Zero and Viewtiful Joe out within
> 4 weeks.

Not enough incentive when there are far more forthcoming Xbox games that I want. Plus Spider-Man is not poor.

Oh, and I've just spotted my copy Metroid Prime. Somehow I managed to take everything to the shop to trade in...except that game. :D
Tue 14/10/03 at 23:15
Regular
This is the 4th bloody person this week who has sold there Cube that I know or have seen on here. Foolish move with Mario Kart, F Zero and Viewtiful Joe out within 4 weeks.
Tue 14/10/03 at 23:12
Regular
Soldier of Fortune 2 is utter balls in single player. Xbox Live though can't be beat (by any of the titles on live at the moment at least). It seems sluggish at first but after a while you realise the controls are a hell of a lot more precise and tuned than any of the stupidly frantic pap like Unreal Tournament and Wolfenstein.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Oh and I spit at you for selling your Gamecube.
Tue 14/10/03 at 22:32
Regular
Spider-Man is plain bad. Short levels, crap character animations, dreadful ending, bad controls, some areas based on the awful film and at times it leads no where at all and the story switches too quickly.
Tue 14/10/03 at 22:20
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Well, in GamesTM...
Tue 14/10/03 at 22:17
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Urg, Spiderman is poor.

Care to elaborate why?
Tue 14/10/03 at 22:12
Regular
"That's right!"
SOF2 on the PC was a HUGE letdown. I've ranted about how bad it is several times. I can only imagine that the Xbox version would be even worse (since you're not using a mouse/keyboard)
Tue 14/10/03 at 21:51
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Urg, Spiderman is poor.

Freedom Fighters is good fun while it lasts.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.