GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soldier of Fortune II"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Soldier of Fortune 2'.
Tue 14/10/03 at 21:28
Regular
"Remember me?"
Traded in my Gamecube today at Game, and managed to get six Xbox games in return:

Freedom Fighters
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
Soul Calibur II
Spider-Man
TimeSplitters 2

They're all good - if not excellent - games, apart from Soldier of Fortune II, which has to be THE worst first person shooter I have ever played in my entire life (possibly excluding Hexen). It's slow, the controls are about as responsive as an angry Whitestripes on a bender and the whole game reeks in regards visuals and audio. Even the gore - which is supposed to be the game's main gimmick - is crap.

I was prepared to stick with it until I had a taste of the Live play, as Tiltawhirl claims it's excellent... but that isn't much cop either. I had a few goes earlier, and wasn't impressed one bit. Compared to the likes of Unreal Championship and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, SOF2's Live is a big pile of steaming dog muck. I may give the game another go later on if I can be bothered. But I can't see that happening.

Good job I have 10 days to take it back before I'm stuck with it for good.
Wed 15/10/03 at 16:42
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
One thing many Nintendo fans are missing completeley RE: Mario Kart DD; loads of people hate Mario games and their cartoony look, loads of people don't like multiplayer reliant games, loads of people don't like racing games.

It'll be a good game, for Mario fans who like racing games, and it'll sell a few consoles no doubt.

I believe that one game can sell a console to some people, in my case I bought the Xbox on the strength of two games - Buffy and Halo, and we all know many bought a PS2 on the strength of the GTA series, as undoubtedly some people bought a Gamecube for Mario games.
Wed 15/10/03 at 14:42
Regular
"Remember me?"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Mario Kart is going to be worth the price of the console alone and
> there is nothing like it on any other system.

I have to disagree. Fair enough there is nothing like it on any other system, but who cares? I'm not going to lose sleep over it. And NO game is worth the price of a console alone.
Wed 15/10/03 at 13:50
Regular
"8==="
(In his opinion)
Wed 15/10/03 at 13:41
Regular
Mario Kart is going to be worth the price of the console alone and there is nothing like it on any other system.
Wed 15/10/03 at 13:19
Regular
"Remember me?"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Selling it would be a silly idea so close to Mario Kart.

Why is it silly? If I wanted to keep a console for 3 games that I would waste money on and then hardly play, then fine, I would keep the Gamecube. But I find wasting all that money and then not using the products because I'm spending all my time playing something else far sillier.
Wed 15/10/03 at 08:58
Regular
"All about the Beats"
hehe i sold my GC, 2 weeks ago, to get money for me xbox.
Wed 15/10/03 at 00:36
Regular
I haven't touched my Cube since I picked up Resident Evil Zero a few months a go. Since selling Winning Eleven 6 FE I haven't touched it. That was the same for my Xbox at one time although with Pro Evolution 3 on pre order I can't see me putting my PS2 down until PES4. Mario Kart and Metal Gear: Twin Snakes is enough to make anyone want to purchase a Cube. Selling it would be a silly idea so close to Mario Kart.
Wed 15/10/03 at 00:22
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
However saying it is better
> than anything both consoles has to offer is silly.

I'd agree with him and this is coming from a once dedicated Ninty.
Wed 15/10/03 at 00:13
Regular
Xbox LIVE isn't better than a PS2 with Pro Evolution 3, Devil May Cry and GTA Vice City. It isn't better than a GameCube with Zelda, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil + Zero, Viewtiful Joe and Mario Kart. I have played LIVE and loved it and thats why this Friday I shall finally have it after too long a wait. However I can play online games for about 1 hour at a time and then not play them for days on end and still be happy.Xbox LIVE is the best out of console service in the sense that the Cube and PS2 don't have anything to compete with it outside of their standard games. However saying it is better than anything both consoles has to offer is silly. I doubt you have even played the likes of Pro Evolution and Devil May Cry on the PS2.
Wed 15/10/03 at 00:07
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Yep. Bloody awful, rented it, played for a hour, walked back dowwn to the shop to get something else. My friend who liked the original SOF thought it was complete muck too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.