GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Two games a day?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/09/01 at 10:41
Regular
As most of you will be aware, the forums have stopped growing. This places a question mark over the extra game being given out every day, which really is more justified at the 2000 mark (as originally intended).

Can anybody tell my why the forums have stopped growing? If possible we would prefer them to continue their ascent.
Wed 12/09/01 at 19:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
For God's sake, we don't want more bloody people!
Wed 12/09/01 at 20:06
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Turbonutter wrote:
> For God's sake, we don't want more bloody people!

You don't but we do.

Thanks for all of you comments.

hmm - roughly 75 sign-ups since the beginning of September is much slower than it has been in the recent past. But there is still a lot of new people coming to the site overall, in fact thousands every day.

I think we must be doing something wrong ourselves, with the way we are promoting Gameaday internally on the site.

I think I'll set aside an hour or so to try to visualise the new visitor experience.

Meantime - can anybody tell me if you find our normal pages (like UKgames.com) slow to load? If they are it's not the server speed, it's the size of the pages. I'm a little worried about them being too large.
Wed 12/09/01 at 20:11
I think the forum doesn't have as much things to offer new guys. They might see the SPAM and then just leave thinking it is another average forum. (:)
Wed 12/09/01 at 20:17
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
back when i was a newbie (just a little while ago) i liked to come on and take part in the extra gad competitions.like the one where we suggested ideas on imroving the site,i made hudreds of suggestions.i put some on, came off, thaught of more,came back on,put some on and so on and so on.how about you have another 1 where we suggest ideas fo competitions or something.

i think thats a good idea about putting links on users web sites that could work.how bout a comp to desin a link button/banner.then the winning banner(s) could be on a page,we copy them and do the html stuff.
i dont have a site anymore but i know a lot of sites that would have your banner.

maybe some kind of offer for joining, like 1 free issue of the sr magazine thing.the problem with that issome people may join loads of times,to keep getting more mags.

another idea is close the schools.then we all can be on here for longer.i think this is the best idea.
Wed 12/09/01 at 20:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The servers are quite slow. There is quite a lag in the time it takes to process pages and begin transfer, it's about a second or two. Maybe 3. I suggets using some flush() commands to make it a lot quicker. Webby will know what I'm on about.
Wed 12/09/01 at 21:02
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Turbo

On my 2 Meg link here it fairly whistles along. No sign of the delays which you speak of except at 28 mins past the hour when the DNS server updates. Perhaps the odd "waiting" due to number of connections.

Any particular server which you are finding this with, or particular page or site?
Wed 12/09/01 at 22:35
Regular
"everyone says it"
You want to promote the site more Tony?

Well apart from having a 2 second advert inbetween the next episode of friends with the words gameaday I do feel that the actual site of gameaday.co.uk needs to be promoted more than it is being...

...gameaday.co.uk attracts people to discuss many things and also to buy from SR, hmmm... what might work, although you wont like the idea is a completely different layout and design for the forum and gameaday pages... something modern and simply spiffing.

No word of a lie, that would attract a lot more.
Wed 12/09/01 at 22:37
Regular
I doubt it works this way.

Tony your adverts work a treat in mags i read them all the time but there is a problem, the ammount of what you say.

I knew about SR way before i joined why did i wait? I didn't understand, 7.99 for a free game and magazines, must be a joke, oh look at the ammount of writing maybe there is small print.

I didn't honestly believe it.

You need to: Give Phone number web address

Give the list of games you sell and prices.

Noe promote site:

Win 2 gamesaDay and make friends at Gameaday.co.uk

Join SR for 6.99 and get a free gift of the list below, NO CATCH! You don't have to be a member to buy from us.

Not too much, keep it bold simple without any diddy writing.

Don't go on cheats etc... it gets to confusing and you begin to think there is more to it.
Wed 12/09/01 at 22:42
Regular
No word of a lie, that
> would attract a lot more.

I disagree, I believe it is fine.

My new site will have you splashed accross it soon i get a 100 hits a day but mostly americans.

Your shops sound great PLEASE PUT ONE IN BEDFORD! or PETERBOROUGH or HUNTINGDON or CAMBRIDGE or a small town called ST Neots they have a large premesis avalible on the high street, something to look into.

Look for popular no retail game sites, maybe one that talks about games or a paticular developer and ask them or pay them a little to say if you want to buy any of these games click here and they go to you!

FrEaK oF tHe DaRk would love to do that he ahs a retail site but it is useless maybe if you gave him a game or a little money the games he sells will in fact be from you.

Just a thought.
Wed 12/09/01 at 22:56
Regular
"everyone says it"
What I am trying to say is that the whole of Special Reserves sites are based around the same design which are very professional looking but dont exactly help promote the forums to outsiders who have already been around the site.

Keep all the links, but change the design of the site..huge task I know but it would help the site so much in promoting gameaday and might probably increase sales.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.