GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Two games a day?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/09/01 at 10:41
Regular
As most of you will be aware, the forums have stopped growing. This places a question mark over the extra game being given out every day, which really is more justified at the 2000 mark (as originally intended).

Can anybody tell my why the forums have stopped growing? If possible we would prefer them to continue their ascent.
Wed 12/09/01 at 15:32
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
This is probably just my 5th post in a week which is pretty poor. I reckon its just that there is not much gaming wise to talk about at the moment. Oh and the lack of spam makes a big difference.
Wed 12/09/01 at 16:11
Regular
I post more during school time.

At home, I only get to go on at restricted hours (from 9-10)

If I go on before that, people trying to phone get blocked.

At school, internet is free at break time or just after school (like now).
Wed 12/09/01 at 17:55
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Too true, too true. I have little time now to post on this site, thanks to the jaw-dropping amount of homework my teachers have set me.

Bloody year 11, I tell ye, you won' be seein' me aroung t' forums for a while, me laddies.

It's annoying. Don't worry about it, Tony, it'll be alright.
Wed 12/09/01 at 17:56
Regular
"I am your father"
I agree with the others opinions. This place I would say is populated with about 80% youngsters who are still at school and the other 20% who are working. So in the day unless they don't really care about their planned day ahead of them then they will spend it on here, as I wish I could. But fate takes part and wanting to be a doctor will result in me being here hardly ever in a few months. Not that anyone will notice that I have gone.

I reckon that after 5/6pm the chat rooms must be livining up to their max and thats when things really start to become enjoyable. In the summer holidays I will admit to spending 19 hours non stop on this web site because of the sheer enjoyment on this site, and this went on for several weeks.

Although being a newbie on this site I have learned my place and have met some great people, so even if it is below the 2000 count then don't worry Tony, as it's not the number it's the majority of people who are friendly and respect the site that counts.
Wed 12/09/01 at 18:08
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Maybe people who are sick sore and tired of writing decent, excellent discussions and reviews are a bit peeved with sub-standard topics and reviews winning GAD in their place.

I'm sure people would agree with me.
Wed 12/09/01 at 18:13
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Tony, I agree with that the others day. It's that time of the year where people have gone back to school and Uni. Give it a few weeks and it should creep up again. Personally, I didn't notice a decline.

Please to help.
Shaneo.
Wed 12/09/01 at 18:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The forum's stopped growing because it's been growing so much. All the newbies talking about nothing to do with games have put me off. I have other forums to talk about other stuff, and I go there when I want to talk about other stuff. When I want to get away from the 99% of idiots in this world and have intelligent conversations, I come here, but iff all I find is bananas and toast, I just leave again.
Wed 12/09/01 at 19:25
2 theories,

1. The forums are mirroring the stock market (least likely!!!)

2. People like me who have started 6th form, are completely snowed under with induction assignments, and therefore have no time to play games let alone discuss them.

Oh I've just thought of a number 3

It is a sign of respect for the thousands of people who have died in America.

seeyas, and I'm sorry for ending on a sad note!!!

cant be helped really considering what has happened.
Wed 12/09/01 at 19:38
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Possibly as the forum gets more snowed under, people are put off by the fact that they can't keep track of thigns, and either post less or leave.

End of summer holidays effect is also likely.

Scrapping the extra gameday is fine by me though, as a possible solution.

Also, I think some of the 'traffic' needs to be split a little to the other forums. FOG chat is getting an awful lot of posts.
Wed 12/09/01 at 19:46
"possibly impossible"
the dropping numbers are definetely something to do with going back to school, a lot of people on this site have gone back and can only post in the evenings.

Aliboy's idea was good, in that we need something more than a GAD to promote the site (and I don't just mean another GAD!) something that wouldn't really cost SR much and at the same time would be easier for people to 'win'

I do realise that SR and you do a lot for us customers and net users, you have the best site around, and that includes every site on the net, but most people are lazy and the feeling is that you need to write a long and intelligent post every day in order to win a GAD (and rightly so) A lot of people may be put off by this, or simply may not believe in the offer, as it seems too good to be true! What you need is a token for people staying on. Perhaps for every 100 days they are here, you could give them a free sub to the company for a month, so that it would benefit both the company (when they see what is available) and the user. If they are already a member, then they could get a Reddy instead, or a selection from the free gifts after a certain amount of days?

Another thing to think about would be that, as a lot of the users are at school, there is a big user base waiting to be told about the site. Some form of advertising, by giving out cool stickers mentioning the website address or other such things to regular members, would encourage them to show their friends. In addition to the excellent magazine that you send subscribers, you could send a couple of copies of a 'special' SR mag, featuring only the website, to all regular users, making sure they have at least one extra copy to give to freinds. I have already given away 3 of my mags to other people who have never even heard of SR and they logged into the website to have a look.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.