GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Two games a day?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/09/01 at 10:41
Regular
As most of you will be aware, the forums have stopped growing. This places a question mark over the extra game being given out every day, which really is more justified at the 2000 mark (as originally intended).

Can anybody tell my why the forums have stopped growing? If possible we would prefer them to continue their ascent.
Thu 13/09/01 at 19:25
Regular
"I am your father"
Dan2K1 wrote:
> Dan2K1 is not as active as before, Dan2K1 maketh forums dull due to
> lack of existence.

I rest my case.

Then pick it up and walk
> away.

Don't worry Tony you've always got me to make this a great place. And out of those 75 people who have joined up then how many of them were to do with the competition? Also the only reason I found this site was by complete luck so maybe more advertisement is needed on your behalf. www.totalgames.net was the place and since then I've never seen anymore advertisement. Have your site availible in site search engines such as google, yahoo, aol and freeserve. And also have them under if you search for computer games or cheat in the short description mention GAD. This is your guided guide to success, oh and what the other guy said newbies annoy me even though I once was one, so in a sense I annoy myself and I do.
Thu 13/09/01 at 18:57
Dan2K1 is not as active as before, Dan2K1 maketh forums dull due to lack of existence.

I rest my case.

Then pick it up and walk away.
Thu 13/09/01 at 18:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Tony wrote:
> Turbo

On my 2 Meg link here it fairly whistles along. No sign of
> the delays which you speak of except at 28 mins past the hour when
> the DNS server updates. Perhaps the odd "waiting" due to
> number of connections.

Any particular server which you are
> finding this with, or particular page or site?

Well, it's pretty erratic and the 4 seconds is an extreme. Sometimes you could do with faster servers though, especially around this kind of time on Sundays. The lag is always to do with the FOG especially long stories. It's not a problem at my end, because Google begins the transfer immediately.

One thing you can sort out though, is that bloody server crash at 4:00am. It really annoys me!
Thu 13/09/01 at 18:40
Regular
I feel perhaps the winning the games is being advertised too much, and the basic bone structure of chatting and discussing is being ignored. If you look at the SR mag, you'll see loads of adverts for gameaday, but no real indication of what the forums are actually like.

The pages devoted to the forums were nice, but how about copying some of the winning topics into the magazine? Not only will it make the winners proud, and make them show their friends, which in turn encourages more... it also shows what life is like on the forums, and what standard is expected of a winning topic.

Just an idea.
Thu 13/09/01 at 09:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Reasons why the forums have slowed in growth:

1) The majority of would be users don't have so much 'net' time with being back at school/college.

2) First JAT post: "Hello, I like games, do you?"
Average response: "Go away."

3) Influx of new users usually follows an exponential curve that flattens out anyway, so maybe it's just reached the point where the numbers 'flatten out'.

Solutions:

1) Attract users with lots of net time on their hands e.g. have a gossip forum for housewives, (advertise in Cosmopolitan and Hello Magazine), a gizajob forum for the unemployed (advertise on net recruitment sites like Workthing.com) and perhaps do a deal with a local college to supply some Maxx PC's as long as the Desktop on those PC's always displays a 'Gameaday' link.

2) Do a GAD prize for who can make the JATs feel most welcome.

3) Start taking more cash from existing users by implementing more forms of payment for the majority of your chat userbase (most of whom don't have easy access to credit cards). Suggestions in the past have included an online orderform that you can print off and post with a postal order (which anyone can purchase from a post office), and accepting Splashplastic cards (again no age limit, even I have one, so does my 7 year old nephew, details on http://www.splashplastic.com).

4) Grin and bear it.
Thu 13/09/01 at 08:10
Regular
I'd imagine a lot of people came by the offer of GAD/FAD, then realised that SR aren't going to give everyone a game for a two line post, got annoyed, and left, without waiting to see how the forums can be enjoyed even if you don't win.
Thu 13/09/01 at 00:44
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Hmmmm, I contradicted myself there
Wed 12/09/01 at 23:31
Regular
"everyone says it"
Triple_H wrote:
> Tony one of the things I noticed are the links on the left hand side
> of most of the pages,They go soooooo far down that people just give
> up and cannot be bothered.If you could place all the links on top of
> the page this will get everyones attention

Have you seen how many links there are?
Well, if they were all at the top then that would bloody stupid!
Wed 12/09/01 at 23:30
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Tony one of the things I noticed are the links on the left hand side of most of the pages,They go soooooo far down that people just give up and cannot be bothered.If you could place all the links on top of the page this will get everyones attention
Wed 12/09/01 at 22:56
Regular
"everyone says it"
What I am trying to say is that the whole of Special Reserves sites are based around the same design which are very professional looking but dont exactly help promote the forums to outsiders who have already been around the site.

Keep all the links, but change the design of the site..huge task I know but it would help the site so much in promoting gameaday and might probably increase sales.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.