GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your top ten games of all time"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/10/03 at 19:41
Regular
Your favourite ten games from all the way back to when computers were first constructed, to present day. Or if you like, 10 that have impressed you most with their originality, playability, or just pure quality. You can put down a series of games as one choice if you want.

I realise this thread belongs in the classic games forum, but cherynobyl has more visitors than that place :D

Ok, I'll go first, in NO particular order :

1) Mooncresta (ZX Spectrum) - Galaxian style 2D shoot em up, introduced me to the fast paced world of shoot em ups, a genre that seems to have died. Dodging alien ships and millions of round bullets while trying to annihilate your enemies. Very simple in every way, but playable to the extreme - evidence that graphics and sound do not make a game.

2) Flashback (Amiga/Megadrive/SNES) - 2D action/adventure/platformer featuring a superb plot, realistic game physics, a ton of missions to complete, fluid graphics, and truckloads of atmosphere. From the developers of the classic 'Another World', which was also way ahead of its time. Flashback was sequelled but the next in the series was at best unremarkable. Another genre that seems to be all but dead.

3) Syndicate (Amiga,PC) - Gave birth to the term 'squad based shooter'. Take your group of 4 cyborg mercenaries on increasingly dangerous missions in the violent futuristic blade-runner-esque underworld. Gun down gang members, enemy cyborgs, cops or just innocent people, depending on what sort of commander you are. Was succeeded by syndicate wars, which I haven't actually played yet.

4) Monkey Island 1 + 2 (Amiga,PC) - Introduced me to the point and click genre, and stirs many fond memories of 3 headed monkeys and other craziness. Some may argue that these games were boring, but they really made you use your head - you'd find yourself thinking up solutions while eating lunch, watching telly or whatever. Several other point and clicks of note are Day of the Tentacle, and the Indiana Jones series. Neither beat the monkey island games though.

5) Super Mario World (SNES) - My favourite Mario game of all time. 96 levels in all if I remember correctly. This came as close to perfection as any game could get in my opinion, and singlehandedly converted me to a nintendo fan virtually over night.

6) Zelda : A Link to the Past (SNES) - First RPG I played. Brilliant storyline, great japanese style cartoony graphics. Hundreds of locations to visit. Atmosphere to the max. Great.

7) DOOM Series (PC) - Easily the games I have spent most time playing, be it on the single player campaigns, Multiplayer LAN/Modem or creating new levels for it. Way ahead of its time, atmospheric, incredibly well designed and was the first game to make me realise PC's were not just for people working in offices. Superb.

8) Command & Conquer + Red Alert Series (PC) - Introduced me to the RTS genre, and still in my opinion the best of their type. The red alert games were slightly better than the C&C ones in my opinion, as the weaponry and storylines were more plausible and closer to modern day events. The balance between all the structures and units in the games is nothing short of remarkable. Multiplayer is a nasty tactic creating dream.

9) Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (N64) - The surprise hit of the decade, goldeneye shot to classic status instantly, and still holds its own against other shooters of today in my opinion. Perfect Dark, though containing a weaker single player campaign, took multiplayer to new levels, and with all those excellent weapons, arenas, characters and options, you could create just about any game of your liking.

10) Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City (PS2, PC, XBOX) - Jumped from fun 2D killfest to the creation of a multigenre shooter/driver which allowed an unprecedented amount of freedom. Feel what it is like to be a mafia gangster with little or no morals and a bag full of guns.

Quite a lot there, I must be bored :D
Wed 10/12/03 at 16:33
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
In no order:

Streetfighter 2 SNES
- When I got this for the Super Famicom, I couldn't believe the arcade game had been replicated so well. Cost me £100 to buy the cartridge at the time from Japan! They're used as landfill now :-( Saved me loads of money in the arcades though.

Super Mario World SNES
- The best Mario game. Kept me entertained for a long time. Loads of variety in all the levels.

Super Mario Kart SNES
- Actually, this was the best Mario game ;-P Purely for the multiplayer.

Guitar Freaks PS
- I can't get enough of this. Difficult on the harder modes, but when you get there it's very rewarding. You need the guitar controller, although you will look a fool!

GTA 3 PS2
- Broke the boundaries. Huge amounts of freedom. The closest thing to doing what you want in a game. Memories include sniping at grannies from a multy storey carpark. And beating a postitute round the head with a claw hammer.

Track 'n' Field Arcade
- Very simple and old, but seriously addictive and competitive in 2p mode. Hammer throw was a touch annoying, but sorted the men from the boys!

SOCOM PS2
- There's still 14000 odd people playing this every day online.

Advance Wars GBA
- Very slick presentation and very addictive. Note to self: I must get Fire Emblem.

Tetris GB
- More hours spent with this than on any other game. Cold fmily holidays to the lake district.... Getting 150 lines... Great memories!

Final Fantasy 6 SNES
- My favourite of the series by far. I played this to DEATH. I even got such rare items as the Schimitar and Illumina swords, and uncursed the cursed shield too!

Loads of others!!!!! Zelda, FF 5 and 7, lemmings, pro evo, gt3
Wed 10/12/03 at 11:35
Regular
"thegodfather"
Good question ? ( no particular order )

1 Resident Evil.

It's been done better since, but I would have to have it in for sentimental reasons.

2 Hogs of War.

Made me laugh a lot and played it until my fingers bled, where's the sequal ?

3 Metal Gear Solid.

True king of stealth.

4 Final Fantasy X.

The only FF game I could really get into.

5 Conflict Desert Storm.

Just a great squad game.

6 Resident Evil 2.

The best in the series.

7 Onimusha 2.

Topped the original in all ways.

8 Medal of Honour;Frontline.

Private Ryan meets gaming.

9 Silen Hill.

Same reason as Resident Evil.

10 Parasite Eve 2.

I think this is one of the most underated games around, great mix of action and RPG with a good story.
Come on Square, make another.
Sat 22/11/03 at 09:23
Regular
1)Goldeneye
2)GTA3
3)GTA VC
4)GTA 2
5)Age of Empires 2
6)Metal Gear Solid 2
7)Operation Flashpoint
8)Red Alert 2
9)The Sims
10)Red Faction
Fri 21/11/03 at 18:25
Regular
Right, in no particular order:
1)Goldeneye
2)Perfect Dark
3)No One Lives Forever
4)No One Lives Forever 2
5)SSX Tricky
6)SSX 3
7)1080
8)GTA: Vice City
9)The Zelda Series (although I never loved this as much as others do)
10)The Tony Hawk's Series (expecially 2 and 4)
Fri 21/11/03 at 17:27
"I love yo... lamp."
It has taken me a while to decide on these, and they are in order. Of course if I go and play one of them now I'll change my mind about the order but hey.

#1 Goldeneye (and PD)
My favourite game ever. I have spent so much time playing it, uncovering every little last secret, multiplayer til the small hours etc. This game made me love Nintendo. As for the PD in the brackets, well it was a great game, technically better than Goldeneye but not quite as enjoyable. But I wanted a good spread in this list and by including the Sci Fi sequel to Goldeneye it does get a mention on the list where it belongs.

#2 MSR / PGR
I can't decide which I like more. MSR was the original and so it had more of the wow factor, but PGR is a better game. Just have so many good memories of sitting on a Thursday night at my desk, feet up on the chimney, coffee at hand, something good on the stereo and just driving. Oh yes.

#3 Jet Set Radio / JSRF
Again like MSR and PGR I can't decide. JSR had such a huge impact on me, it was like nothing I had ever played before. In saying that I enjoyed JSRF a bit more as I liked the absence of time limits.

#4 Alpha Centauri
Simply my favourite strategy game ever. Not bad for £3. It had humans, a foreign planet, a decent story, notably different factions unlike some strategy games, loads of units, the ability to design your own units and gameplay to die for.

#5 Command & Conquer
The original and best in my opinion. Simply wonderful RTS that I played for years. I still play it fairly often even 8 years after it came out.

#6 Halo
It was just so wow when I first played it. I had heard good things but I didn't think it could be THAT good. It wasn't, it was better. A fantastic FPS that will only be bettered by Halo 2.

#7 Dick Tracy
I loved that game. Sure the Spectrum didn't have graphics up to that much, but the gameplay was great. And you got to be Dick Tracy. Side scrolling shooters rock.

#8 Worms Armageddon
The pinnacle of the 2D Worms series in my opinion. I loved it. Great game that despite the multiplayer involving handing the controller around, was great fun.

#9 Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Rose Tattoo
A brilliant point and click adventure game, featuring one of my favourite literary characters. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

#10 Sonic the Hedgehog
There were so many contenders for this last space that I went to look in my games cupboard just to see what I had missed out. Jet Force Gemini, Crazy Taxi, F Zero X, Mario 64, Shenmue and Knights Of The Old Republic were all in the running. But no. It has to go to the blue hedgehog who became one of the greatest gaming characters ever. 12 years on and it still rocks.
Sun 16/11/03 at 11:29
Regular
"grows in nasty plac"
1) HALO
2) jAMES BOND : NIGHTFIRE
3) DELTA FORCE 2 (playing online)
4) COUNTERSTRIKE
5) DELTA FORCE LANDWARRIOR
6) AGE of MYTHOLOGY
7) ?
8) ?
9) ?
10)?
Tue 11/11/03 at 16:01
Regular
"nooblet"
1. Doom ( started playing it when i was 5 :D
2. Halo (PC)
3. Return to castle wolfenstein.
4. command and conceror
5. Medal of honor (ps2)
6. the armymen games (ps1 you know the games with the little green men, and the games were first person.)
7. GTA3
8. Counter-stirke
9.age of empires II
10. Empire Earth
Fri 07/11/03 at 02:23
Regular
If I was to count all these up, I reckon perfect dark would be top at the moment.

no arguements here
Thu 06/11/03 at 15:37
Regular
It is difficult to choose my ten favourite games, but I think that these are the best:
Drumroll......
1. Zelda: Ocarina of time(N64)
2. Zelda The Wind Waker(N64)
3. Perfect Dark (N64)
4. Grand Theft Auto VC(PS2)
5. Timesplitters(GC)
6. Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
7. Legend OF Zelda Link to the past (SNES)
8. Metroid Prime (GC)
9. Goldeneye(N64)
10. Syphon filter(Ps1)
Sun 26/10/03 at 22:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
1) Metroid Prime (GC)
2) OOT - (N64)
3) Final Fantasy 7 (PSOne)
4) Super Mario 64 (N64)
5) SOA:L (GC)
6) Civilisation 2 (PC)
7) Legend of Zelda - WW - (GC)
8) Goldeneye - (N64)
9) UFO - (PC)
10) TT: DLX - (PC)

Perfect Dark, Super Mario World, Super Mario Sunshine, Commandos 2 (buy it now if you see it, utterly wonderful, actually that applies for all of these games), Medieval: Total War, Mechcommander 1/2 and several more could all battle close to the 10-5 spots.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.