GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have you noticed?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/09/01 at 14:27
Regular
Have you noticed that it's only the 'Sonyphiles' and the 'Nintys' that are having the "Our console is better than yours" argument?

Whereas XBoxy's (or whatever the hell we're called) are just sitting back and waiting for our new box of tricks to be released, not a peep from any of us.

People who are interested in the XBox, myself and FM and a few others round here, are waiting quietly, without need for arguments and discrepencies.

I wonder why this is?

(Cue some extremly witty comment from Wookiee along the lines of "But thats becuase EVERYONE knows the Xbox is rubbish" :-))
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:43
Regular
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> Typical YH - if he's not fanning the flames, he's starting the
> fire...

Thanks!

*Beams proudly*

But not "beams" as in a torch, Wookiee.

:-)
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:29
Regular
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
Nintendo still cater predominantly for a younger
> market than Sony do (and possibly Xbox), and that is something they
> *must* shake off. Kids may want a Gamecube, but if Daddy wants a
> PS2 then a PS2 he will buy

You didn't do this deliberately, but you just sort of dug the Gamecube here based on a stereotype. (read my winning topic about stereotypes)
It annoys us the same way we annoy you by using the sequel stereotype on the PS2.

Both have an element of truth but are always over exadurated.

Yes, the Playstation 2 has plenty of half baked sequels but has original games too.
Nintendo do release games that LOOK childish, but are actually as complex and challenging as say Resident Evil.
These games are immature in looks only.

And I know you have a point about the casual gamer judging by these cute looks, but even then.
There's plenty of more mature looking games too.
Nintendo themselves don't usually make them but they're on the system and are normally some of the most advanced and playable games of their kind.

When you really grow out of console wars is when you stop arguing altogether and ignor people no matter what they say.

Grix and Sniper don't bother anymore. They simply don't care. They have better things to do.
Meka's grown out of it too, and I think SSX pro has too.

You've nearly grown out of it and it's only a matter of time before I do (probably when I get a new game to play on) but until then, just do what you want.
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The reason I don't argue for or against the XBox is because it's my choice of console, everyone makes their own choice, and everyone with very few exceptions is very happy with their choice.

There'll always be those people who buy a PS2, XBox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, PSOne etc and not be happy with it and switch to another, but these are few and far between.

In my case the decision is made, I know better than anyone else what is best for me, and for me the XBox is without doubt offering more than any other console will do at its time of launch in the UK.

When it comes to other consoles I'm totally impartial. I've been a user of all the major makes in the past. It's just certain people that I can't stand, and those that display the 'Ninty mindset' come under that category.

'Ninty mindset' is defined as: Promoting the pro-Nintendo argument based on abuse of other console owners. Usually these arguments come under the heading 'XBox will fail' or 'PS2 sucks', contain no factual evidence other than the author's opinion, and generally have a go at another console rather than elaborate on the benefits of Nintendo product.

I have to say that this is a distinctly Ninty trait, and reaffirms in other peoples' minds that on the whole Nintendo users are a bunch of kids.

Fortunately this site has many Nintendo gamers who don't display these traits.
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:11
"High polygon count"
Typical YH - if he's not fanning the flames, he's starting the fire...
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:07
Regular
I think this thread just shows how easily a bloody console war starts!

This wasn't my intention, er .... honest!

:-)
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:01
"High polygon count"
Strafex wrote:
> Yeah right! You always argue that the PS2 is better than the Gamecube,
> the same way I always argue the vice versa.

I have never said PS2 is better than anything; I simply state the facts and refute anything said about the PS2 which I know to be untrue, such as a recent post by Notorious Biggles.

The only time I *have* had a dig at any machine, I think it has been made clear that it's in fun. In general, I do not even enter into 'console wars' threads unless there's something which provokes me.

> I don't slate the PS2. I sometimes point out disadvantages
> that gives the Gamecube the edge.

That's in *your* opinion though. Sometimes mine differs, and sometimes the facts stated (not by you) aren't true.

Gamecube has an 'edge' in some areas, and PS2 has an edge in others. At the end of the day, though, specs matter little - games and the 'image' they give do. Hence the PSone was still outselling Dreamcast for months after it was launched.

Nintendo still cater predominantly for a younger market than Sony do (and possibly Xbox), and that is something they *must* shake off. Kids may want a Gamecube, but if Daddy wants a PS2 then a PS2 he will buy. Those with the 'high disposable income' are usually single men, aged 18-25, and as has been proven already, rightly or wrongly, a lot of them buy based on image, which is currently where Sony win.

> And we need something to do while we wait.
(Nintys for
> the Gamecube and Sonyphiles for a decent game :-p - everyone makes
> jabs at consoles in jest!)

Unfortunately that's not true. I often sense some real hatred of Sony fans in some of the posts in the Nintendo forum, including one referring to PlayStation owners as 'scum'. While sometimes you can laugh it off - especially here where there is no context - many times you are left with no option to assume that it has been said with real venom and nastiness behind it.

Check my post in reply to Resevilfan's post 'Console Wars (mmmkay)' in the PS2 forum for my views of 'general' Ninty's - but be warned, it's not particularly nice.
Mon 10/09/01 at 16:00
Regular
True, but can you tell me what you base your opinion that the GC is better than the PS2 on, then explain in detail why you would consider it a better development platform?
Mon 10/09/01 at 15:58
Regular
When you say "set me straight" you mean argue.

He does correct peoples facts but that's not to say that he doesn't implement some opinions of his own, some opinions that just ASK to be argued with. :-D
Mon 10/09/01 at 15:58
Regular
Probably because they can't be bothered or cannot afford to find out. The GC has an almost identical development environment to the DC, and considering Sega and Capcom were major DC developers it is easier and cheaper for them to program on the GC. Thats what happens when your console is based around PC technology, you make many friends as they like your cheap development, and as I have said before, that is one of the main problems with the PS2. Although for people willing to sit down and sort out how it works and more importantly how to work it, it can be one of the systems bigest advantages.
Mon 10/09/01 at 15:54
Regular
He wouldn't argue, he would set you straight, then you would say something else and it would turn into an arguement.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.