GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have you noticed?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/09/01 at 14:27
Regular
Have you noticed that it's only the 'Sonyphiles' and the 'Nintys' that are having the "Our console is better than yours" argument?

Whereas XBoxy's (or whatever the hell we're called) are just sitting back and waiting for our new box of tricks to be released, not a peep from any of us.

People who are interested in the XBox, myself and FM and a few others round here, are waiting quietly, without need for arguments and discrepencies.

I wonder why this is?

(Cue some extremly witty comment from Wookiee along the lines of "But thats becuase EVERYONE knows the Xbox is rubbish" :-))
Tue 11/09/01 at 09:50
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I'll wait until I move house, my current place isnt big enough - It's not even as big as the X-Box.

Perhaps I could get one and live in it?

Really though, I dont have space for another machine, or the cash, especially when theres so many quality games coming to the PS2, and the MS windows history, it will have to be very, very good for be to buy one.
Tue 11/09/01 at 09:33
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I haven't pre-ordered because I like my money in my bank account earning interest for me rather than with a retailer earning interest for them.

On the whole pre-order schemes are good for the retailer because:

a) they can sell consoles in bundles at full whack, the more the merrier, it's one of the only times they'll actually get to do this
b) it helps with their cashflow especially in the lull before Christmas
c) they can manage their stock turnover more effectively if they know what their order levels are like in advance

The PS2 was a major exception to this, because Sony went for the pre-order market directly. With other consoles, including the X-Box, manufacturers have expressed the intent that as well as pre-order bundles, standalone units WILL be available off the shelf on launch day.

And if they aren't, I can wait a month or two...
Tue 11/09/01 at 09:12
Regular
I haven't pre-ordered yet for a couple of reasons.

1st, I'm not 100% sure which console to get, I'm 95% sure to get an XBox, but for £300+ I want to be 100%.

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford one at launch, so I may have to wait until next summer.
Tue 11/09/01 at 08:48
Regular
If only they launched it as the silver x it was originaly designed as. I hate the look of the current design but will have to buy one because the specs are amazing for £300.
Tue 11/09/01 at 00:38
I've pre-oredered my X- =box have you??????

I want all the next Gen consoles no matter how bad they are or will be/do.
Mon 10/09/01 at 22:25
"High polygon count"
Not to mention several more very tasty games, which I have a sneaky feeling are being deliberately held off until the 'cube and Xbox launch.
Mon 10/09/01 at 22:12
Regular
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
Look around a bit more
> though... there's also a lot of support from Sega for the PS2. Not
> much less (if at all) than the other two, actually.

I will look a bit more.

I'm not going to buy anything 'til after christmas as I have my DC with games I still need to complete.

I guess it'll be best to wait until the XBox and 'Cube have been out a few weeks, look into the games etc and take it from there.

Maybe by then the PS2 will have come down a bit more, so that might be an option by then....
Mon 10/09/01 at 22:01
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> So I'm stuck between choosing the
> 'Cube and the XBox, both have a number of games I want to play, both
> look like they'll get a lot of support from Sega, whicc is a VERY
> good thing in my opinion.

Look around a bit more though... there's also a lot of support from Sega for the PS2. Not much less (if at all) than the other two, actually.
Mon 10/09/01 at 21:57
Regular
I'm stuck really.

I came into some money a little while ao (took a few days for the notes to dry out, they're all crunkly now) and I did look seriously into which console to buy.

The PS2 only has one game I really want to play, GT3, and I don't care HOW good it is, I'm not going to spend £270 on a piece of kit to play ONE game, it's just not worth it.

So I'm stuck between choosing the 'Cube and the XBox, both have a number of games I want to play, both look like they'll get a lot of support from Sega, whicc is a VERY good thing in my opinion.

All in all, I'll have to wait and see.

Moving on....

Someone said that this topic was created in fun, ans that's true, I was just thinking why XBoxy's (or whayever) don't really join in "Console Wars" posts.

And I still don't know why.

So if anyone has any idea, please let me know.
Mon 10/09/01 at 21:35
"High polygon count"
Strafex wrote:
> Resi got given a hard time but see some of his
> posts and you'll see why.

I have - I did include Resi in the immature PS2 ranks at one point, but he has improved a lot. I think he may be one of those who was asked to cool it, either by myself or someone else.

> because some Sonyphiles are just as bad

Trust me, I know! But all I can base my opinions on is what I've seen, and that is that *generally* it tends to happen more with Ninty's.

> partly because if Sony had an official magazine as stupid
> and childish as NOM then there would be just as many idiots!

Possibly - but it is Nintendo who grant them the 'official' licence, and if they want to help eradicate the image, they should speak to the people working on the magazine.

> Basically, people saw Mario 64's cute
> graphics and the magazine aimed themselves at kids.

That's all I've said all along. I have no problem with Nintendo themselves; there's no problem with them cornering that area of the market - I just don't see why people continuously deny that Nintendo as a company - based entirely on past experience - have been *primarily* aiming their products at younger people.

Pokemon games may be very good/involving/complex etc. and involve gameplay elements that adults can find entertaining. But they are part and parcel of the package which includes the Pokemon cartoon, and that is clearly aimed at children. If they wanted to attract teens and adults, why not gear the whole thing towards a wider audience?

Right or wrong, stereotypical or not, Nintendo have actively encouraged the 'kiddy' image for years, and it will take them much more than Goldeneye, Joanna Dark, Turok, Rogue Squadron and a Resident Evil game to shake it off.

, but if they continue to stick with that image and section of the market, I don't believe they will see a significant increase in sales over the N64.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.