GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Listen to your parents!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/09/01 at 02:17
Regular
Parents are those really hip people that most of you share your house with. You know the ones, always trying to make you do things because 'it's for the best', the ones that make you cringe when they 'dance', and you are always trying to figure out why they aren't happy people in the mornings. (Understanding these things comes later, wait till you're a parent...)

It's now September, and offspring of the world should now unite in gearing up for the festive season and start dropping hints regarding possible presents. Clearly last year's Christmas campaign by moi was not a success as I got a Gameboy Color with Pokemon Blue in my Christmas stocking.

However, this year will be different as I've printed off a complete list of all those Dreamcast games that I'm missing from my collection and left copies of it in inconspicuous places around the house, like on top of the TV, on my mum's favourite chair, draped nonchalantly across the toilet seat, that kind of thing.

Knowing my mum though, she'll probably end up getting me Legend of Zelda for the N64...

So what about you? What is YOUR Christmas campaign going to be this year? Are you rooting for Conker's Bad Fur Day and going to get Fur Fighters? Are you gunning for Perfect Dark and going to end up with Digimon World? Do you keep asking for a shoot 'em up and getting told that drugs are bad for you?

In short, do your parents have a clue about your gaming desires or do they come out with comments like my mum's recent one: "Microsoft and Nintendo are bringing out their new Playstations soon..."
Sun 09/09/01 at 08:53
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
I don't know what to ask for for Christmas yet.

But I do know my Mum and Dad don't know much about gaming. My Dads always looking through the paper and saying - 'Dan, Body Havest is only £5 - is that good?' or 'There's a game here - mortal combat thats really cheap - come and have a look' GAH!
Sun 09/09/01 at 10:57
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
FantasyMeister wrote:

In short, do your parents have a clue about your gaming
> desires or do they come out with comments like my mum's recent one:
> "Microsoft and Nintendo are bringing out their new Playstations
> soon..."

Lol that sounds like my dad, we went into currys or something because my n64 broke and we were replacing it. He said "Can you replace this n63 please?"

I sniggered then said "NO!, dad, its an n64"

"Oh right son...."

I asked for PD last crimbo and I got it :-D

Now? Ermm I will just probaly ask for cash, there isnt n64 new games that appeal to me, me PSX is broken GB games are rubbish and my pc isnt good enough! So it lookslike I might have to fork out some of me own cash, to buy either a new console, or some upgrades for my pc. But then im only 14 :-)
Sun 09/09/01 at 11:04
Darkness_2K wrote:

But I do know my
> Mum and Dad don't know much about gaming. My Dads always looking
> through the paper and saying - 'Dan, Body Havest is only £5 -
> is that good?' or 'There's a game here - mortal combat thats really
> cheap - come and have a look' GAH!

Ha ha. I talk about gaming 24/7 so my parents know quite alot about it.
Sun 09/09/01 at 11:06
Regular
"I am your father"
FM if you read the topics it says by the man Tony himself not to write a topic then not stay around to find out what people said about it, well shame on you FM. So many questions to be answered and so little time......

But as for the topic, listen your parents, that would be nice and I'm not nice. Apart from when I want something and that moment is now

*Calls out to his mum for a laptop*
Sun 09/09/01 at 11:26
Regular
My parents, at long (and I mean VERY long) last, have realised that a miniture moving Santa-Claus, a yoyo and a large fluffy teddy-bear are not my ideal choice of Christmas presents.

After intense campaigning on my part (and believe me, I could give advice to the conservative party), they seem to have realised that money is perfectly acceptable, and you can get everything cheaper after Christmas anyway.

My Grandparents, on the other hand, do not seem to quite comprehend this yet. My latest present proclaimed itself as a "QuizMaster". Apparently it gives you, on a tiny cheap 1 line text screen, loads of questions. WOW! I've just, you know, GOT, to have that. Only problem, the battery costs £5, and (oddly enough), I've really got better things to spend my money on......

In addition to all this, they have taken to giving me £10 every month, under the guise of "Ed Money". I am somehow supposed to spend £10 a week on such things as rulers, pens, pencils and the like. I've heard of rising inflation rates, but that's ridiculous - Even I don't lose that many rulers.

Not that I'm complaining about the second part, of course. They don't seem to know what I spend the money on, and I can always show them the singular pen that I bought 3 years ago.

The only problem I can imagine at the moment, is if they wonder what happened to the "QuizMaster". You see, it made a rather handy shape to put under my PC to keep it upright-only it made a rather worrying *crack* when I did so. Ah well, back to the excuse that my brother borrowed it and won't tell me where it is...... ;-)

See Ya ;-)

PinkPig
Sun 09/09/01 at 11:28
Regular
the christmas when i got my n64 my dad really messed up. i had a snes at the time so i asked my mum and dad if i could have this game, my dad then said for the n64 so i knew i was getting one!
Sun 09/09/01 at 11:29
Regular
P.s. If you completed Final Fantasy 9 in three days, you *really* need to get a life. Maybe I can introduce you to the "QuizMaster". It offers a new "Hangman" mode, so I'm told! ;-)

.........(You know, that sounds nearly as much fun as Microsoft Train Simulator, really the most exciting in computer entertainment to this day)...................

Right, OK then, back to the trains, ;-)

See Ya ;-)

PinkPig
Sun 09/09/01 at 12:00
Dude you play Microsoft Train Simlulator? thats gotta suck, I feel your pain man, don't worry about it with a lot of hard work you can get over it.
Sun 09/09/01 at 12:12
PinkPig wrote:
If you completed Final Fantasy 9 in three days, you *really* need to get a life.

Quizmaster?? Hangman is one of those simple games using letters which occasionally gets played in long car journeys and.... oh that's it. Hangman on your console/P.C, that's sad! At least I play on real computer games, one's that you can't play with a piece of paper and a chewed up biro. If you want a cheaper experience of hangman, use this method, save yourself a few quid as well!

Final Fantasy games rock, Final Fantasy 9 I found easy, so completing it in 3 days was nothing.
Sun 09/09/01 at 12:17
Yeah at least he can play real computer games

so nah nah ne nah nah

*let the pulling off hair commence*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.