GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Star Wars Galaxies: Subscription charge"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Wars Galaxies'.
Tue 11/11/03 at 13:53
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Can someone clear this up for me please - do you have to pay a monthly charge to play the game online? And, is it worth getting just to play offline? It looks really good, and the premise makes my mouth water, but having to pay a monthly fee on top of getting broadband, the cost of the game, and amount of my life it will consume, it suddenly seems not worth it.

Same goes for Planetside.
Thu 13/11/03 at 17:43
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
Then surely the onus is on the developers to find more efficient means of hosting the games, rather than expecting joe consumer to pay £00's every year to play online.
Thu 13/11/03 at 17:32
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
There is a huge difference between putting an RTS on-line where non-dedicated servers owned by gamers or Mr. Gamer's ISPs can do the vast majority of the work and an MMORGP which needs not only dedicated, but perpetual, private, localised servers that are owned and maintained by the publishers.
Wed 12/11/03 at 15:51
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The thought of paying nearly £30 for a game then nearly a tenner each month to play it doesn't exactly appeal to me much. Galaxies does look interesting, despite the less than stellar reviews it's been getting, but I'm not prepared to empty my wallet on a monthly basis when I can play other multiplayer games which may not be as in depth, but are just as enjoyable.
Wed 12/11/03 at 15:51
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> Ermmm... it's a bargain.

No it's not, it's rediculous. Especially on my income.
Wed 12/11/03 at 15:48
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
How about playing Warcraft III online, with full support, constantly upgraded tools, regular competitions, a comprehensive ladder and player ranking system and not having to pay a penny?
Wed 12/11/03 at 15:45
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Ermmm... it's a bargain. Think about what you're getting - private, local servers, constant upgrades including additional content, and a hoast for your character in a perpetual world. If I remember right, I was originally paying £14.99 a month for Asherton's Call and that was worth every penny.
Tue 11/11/03 at 15:54
Regular
$14.99 is about £8.99 I think.

Insane amount of money just for one game.
Tue 11/11/03 at 14:08
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Wow, George Lucas must have dollar signs spinning in his eyes!
Tue 11/11/03 at 14:06
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> You have to pay for pretty much all MMORPGs these days, glaxies is now
> exeption. From the web site, the pay plan is: 1 month - $14.99
> 3 months - $41.99
> 6 months - $77.99
> 12 months - $143.99
>
> And don't bother with Planetside. Despite some good reviews, people
> who've played it on other forums say it's not only bug ridden, but
> incredibly boring.

Ouch. Along with a broadband connection, thats a hell of a lot of cash to fork out a month simply to play an MMORPG. Whats annoying, is that people will pay it.
Tue 11/11/03 at 14:05
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
HOW MUCH?

Just shelved any plans I had to buy it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.