GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"what going on is xbox in trouble or not?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/11/03 at 21:46
Regular
":)))))):"
I always thought that it was doing all right not great in japan but elsewere its doing fine!! Any one know diffrent(not sad gamecube owners).
Fri 21/11/03 at 18:58
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> As I said the figures I got were from the company financial reports, I
> read the FT every day.
>
> The reason that the Xbox is making money despite the loss on hardware
> is that it has the highest tie ratio of all the consoles. That means
> that it has the highest average amount of games sold per console. On
> average every Xbox owner has 5 games or something compared to 4.2 for
> the GC and 4 for the PS2. Something like that.
>
> Nintendo are not making money on the GC. Definitely not.
> http://www.reuters.co.uk/
> newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3812829
>
> If you can be bothered to read that you will also see I was wrong
> about it being Nintendo's biggest lost since 1962. They went public
> in 1962. No this was in fact their first ever interim loss. This time
> last year they made about £150 million profit in the same
> period.

Fair enough - you're the man with the knowledge where that's concerned. I was just pointing out that sales-wise, the GameCube is doing better than the Xbox.
Fri 21/11/03 at 14:47
"I love yo... lamp."
I do. The Nintendo share price has fallen more than 20% this year.

Also there are several types of profit. There is operating profit, or EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, and amortisation) profit and bottom line profit. It it possible to make an operating profit but to find that the bottom line is a loss. Which several years ago meant that whilst Nintendo had a big operating profit, they had much smaller bottom line profit when all the charges and exceptions were taken into account.

Nintendo just made an operating loss. They announced it. And that is bad.
Fri 21/11/03 at 11:00
Regular
I don't trust Reuters. They're incredibly wrong.

When Nintendo boasted being the best profitable games company a couple years ago (they still do now) with EA being second, then Sony, etc, Reuters were reporting Nintendo making huge losses.

Now I know Nintendo are likely to exaggerate to please their shareholders, but I think the shareholders would notice if the share value was rapidly dropping whilst Nintendo are claiming top performance.

Hence, I don't trust Reuters.
Thu 20/11/03 at 23:51
"slightlyshortertagl"
Isn't obvious that this guy is playing you on?

Just leave it :-D
Thu 20/11/03 at 23:39
"I love yo... lamp."
As I said the figures I got were from the company financial reports, I read the FT every day.

The reason that the Xbox is making money despite the loss on hardware is that it has the highest tie ratio of all the consoles. That means that it has the highest average amount of games sold per console. On average every Xbox owner has 5 games or something compared to 4.2 for the GC and 4 for the PS2. Something like that.

Nintendo are not making money on the GC. Definitely not.
http://www.reuters.co.uk/ newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3812829

If you can be bothered to read that you will also see I was wrong about it being Nintendo's biggest lost since 1962. They went public in 1962. No this was in fact their first ever interim loss. This time last year they made about £150 million profit in the same period.
Thu 20/11/03 at 22:56
Regular
The Xbox will never make money. Each console is sold at a loss, and it has been predicted that with the amount of money lost so far it's highly unlikely Microsoft will take any form of profit. The GameCube is breaking even at £79.99. That is as far as my knowledge extends concerning profits.

Sales figures, however, suggest that Nintendo are doing better worldwide than Microsoft - and quite cleanly too. Obviously (regarding total units sold) they're triumphing massively in Japan and have now overtaken in Europe. America, truth be told, I'm not entirely sure about but the sales figures for October show the GameCube outselling the Xbox by 78,000 consoles. Considering there's never been much between the two in the USA, if you add all this up it seems that Nintendo are the one's winning second place on a worldwide scale.
Thu 20/11/03 at 18:25
"I love yo... lamp."
Nintendo have just posted their biggest loss since 1962. The GC is haemoraging money. The GBA is the only thing keeping them from bankruptcy.

The Xbox is now making money.

These figures are from the company financial reports.
Thu 20/11/03 at 18:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
*covers ears*

All I read was that the Cube had taken a 25% Euro market shar and was doing better than it was in the USA

*grabs Maverick and runs at high speed*
Thu 20/11/03 at 18:16
Regular
Actually, the GameCube is selling and making more money than the Xbox.
Thu 20/11/03 at 09:37
Regular
According to NGC's (UK) figures:

Playstation 2s sold: 1.4m units
Xbox: 460,000 units
GameCube: 350,000 units (Nintendo units including GBA and GBASP sales: 1.2m units)

It is fair to say in a non-fanboyish way that Microsoft are still struggling to compete against Nintendo.

I'm not going to make a comparison between Sony and Nintendo however because PS1s are still being sold and haven't been included in these figures.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.