GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Standing up for Smokers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/08/01 at 01:05
Regular
Another attack on smokers has been raised.

Well, once more here I stand to stub my beautiful tube of pleasure out in your proverbial dinner.

Geez, smokers are treated like child-molesters now aren't we?
America, certain states you are forbidden to smoke anywhere outside or in public buildings.
YET, you can buy guns and beer in the same store. Now there's a healthy mix of hobbies eh?

I smoke. I enjoy it. It gives me a lot of pleasure. The 1st one in the morning, after a nice meal, sitting in the garden in the summer evenings with friends.
One question to all the health-nazis out there:

Why don't you ever have the balls to complain to our faces?
It's always when that person has left the room or you're a safe distance away that you start to wave your hand and go on and on and on in the whiny little voice "It's the secondary smoke. I don't want to die for their habit"

Fair enough.
Stop driving your car, stop drinking, stop using your mobile phones and stop burning fossil fuels, because you know what? Those things can all kill me and I have no say in that.
But nooooooo, let's all point our fingers at the nasty smoker across the room.
In an age where traffic pollution is causing record numbers of asthma cases, where over-demand is wiping our seas of all the fish, where intensive farming methods means outbreaks of diseases that we haven't seen in decades, we should all just moan about me having a fag.

Except I don't care.
And you know why? Because me having this one fag (I'm smoking right now..mmmm..taste that cool Laramie goodness) is not going to kill you.
It's not. No more than you eating that beef or crossing that road.

So grow up, mind your own business and stop telling me what I should or shouldn't do ok?
Ok

Let's all act like adults, worry about our own lives and try to make as much money as we can before we die from that inconsiderate person lighting up 30ft away.
The sun will burn through our ozone layer before you catch cancer from my smoking.
And they'll have a cure for it by then anyway, so relax and enjoy your hair.

I'm not doing any damage to you whatsoever, you're far more likely to catch a disease from the carcinagens in the air from traffic and CFCs and all that other stuff.
So, stop forcing your morals and interests onto my life, I didn't ask for it, I don't want it and I sure as hell don't appreciate it.

I'll smoke, I'll get the tumours and I'll die.
That's fine with me, so leave me be to enjoy my final, hacking and weezing days in peace and quiet.
Wed 29/08/01 at 14:03
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Yep made a fool of myself there

Ah well
Wed 29/08/01 at 14:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
No worries mate, we've all done that.
Wed 29/08/01 at 14:00
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Right...

To be honest I saw the title and jumped to conclusions and skim read it which I don't normally do... so emm.

My brain is pickled today... for instance I placed a slice of bread in the microwave instead of the toaster... made me laugh though :-)

I don't have anything against smokers unless what I said below second hand smoke etc.

So sorry I guess.

[Trying to think]

Nope blank
Wed 29/08/01 at 13:55
Regular
"Back For Good"
Smokers are treated like trash nowadays, It is very bad for you but alcohol's as bad and gives you heart disease, liver damage and breaks the body down to a dreadfull state but we don't hear anything about that do we now. I've enjoyed smoking over the last couple of years but came to a point where i said I'd be so much happier without them and quit.
Wed 29/08/01 at 13:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I can partly see that mate, and there is some logic there.

But at the same time, it boils down to the same thing over and over:

Personal Choice.

Where's that long topic you promised me?
I want many, many words.
Wed 29/08/01 at 13:40
Sometimes I think those who smoke do not fully appreciate the reasoning behind non smokers hatred of smoking, it's not because they hate those who smoke, it's because they don't want those who smoke to die.

Simple.
Wed 29/08/01 at 13:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> Sheepy, Goatboy wasn't saying that he felt it was okay to smoke in
> non-smokers faces, he said he didn't like people telling him he's
> poisoning himself. He knows that already, he's an educated man. I
> doubt you'll find many smokers who smoke in no smoking areas, and
> the ones who do ARE idiots and have a problem.

Exactly.
I make a point of not smoking in restaurants if people are eating around me.
I agree with banning smoking in planes, cinemas and other confined spaces.

Hear that?
A smoker that agrees we should not be allowed to light up just anywhere.

I'm sorry about your grandad Sheepy, that sucks a lot mate.

And completely seperate from that issue, because Sheepy needs sympathy and condolences, nothing else:

I smoke.
I am aware of the dangers. I choose to do it at the risk of shortening my lifespan.
It is my lifespan to shorten if I so choose to.
Stop trying to force me to do what you want to.

They cost money. I earn that money and I will damn well spend that any way I see fit.
If I choose to buy fags, that is my business and nobody elses.

Get out of my face and stop telling me I'm wrong.
I'm only wrong in your opinion, but that's all it is.

An opinion.
I don't run around shouting about the dangers of eating monosodium glutamate.
I don't demand people not use mobile phones around me (those things are a sight more dangerous that fags).

I mind my business, get on with my life and don't think I am allowed to shout and scream about things that are nothing to do with me.
Wed 29/08/01 at 13:20
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Dan2K1 wrote:
But there are young, impressionable
> members on these very forums that will read what you say, start
> smoking because APPARENTLY it's nice, and then suffer misery.

I'm not responsible for some weak minded idiots that do something because someone else says they enjoy it.

Or, to put that another way:

I am older and influential. You lot are obviously weak-minded fools so, do what I do:

I read books daily, I read many news websites. I make sure that I listen to, and tolerate, opinions other than my own.
I let people say what they want to say and accept that sometimes I don't know everything.
I mind my own business and don't force my views onto others because I believe that my way is the only way.

There, imitate that if you're stupid enough to imitate anyone.
Wed 29/08/01 at 13:14
Hooplah writes:

Aliboy says:

Are you not
> bothered at all about the health risks?

Quite clearly no. I can
> read the warnings, I know the effects, I just don't care about it.
> I'm going to die, what difference does it make how, where or
> when?

Dan says: I pity the fool who adopts this attitude. You clearly do not have the love of life that you should do - argue with me, I don't care what your reply is - this is way of thinking appalls me, but I guess I have to give you sympathy. You don't CARE when you die? You mean you don't care how long you've got to experience the wonders of a life time? No one has the right to take another person's life away, and you should not have this stupid attitude. Anyway, you don't read the warnings fair enough.
Fool.

Hypo: >Dan gets asked why he enjoys walking around in a pool of crocodiles despite being able to read the warnings<

Aliboy says:

Are you addicted or could you stop at any time?

Hooplah replies:

I don't
> want to stop. Amazingly, smoking is nice. If it wasn't, I wouldn't
> do it.

Dan says: Some people smoke because they can't stop smoking, it's this little thing in life that's called ADDICTION. Smoking is nice is it, yeah right for your beloved cravings. You are destroying your alveoli, your mucus will be destroyed and I hope you look forward to a future of cancerous illness and smokers caugh.

If you enjoy smoking THEN OK. But there are young, impressionable members on these very forums that will read what you say, start smoking because APPARENTLY it's nice, and then suffer misery. If you have to say it's 'nice' or you 'enjoy' then make sure you're not encouarging others, because you are. Give a warning 'smoking is bad and will kill you'. Because it's just NOT on.

Aliboy says:

Do you think of others before you light up?

Hooplah replies:

Yes.

Dan says: ...

Aliboy says:

How
> much do you spend a week on cigs?

Hooplah says:About £15

Dan says: I am glad I don't smoke. £15 x 52 weeks. Nice holiday that could buy.

The price is more than monetary, it's far more than that.
Wed 29/08/01 at 13:10
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Sheepy, Goatboy wasn't saying that he felt it was okay to smoke in non-smokers faces, he said he didn't like people telling him he's poisoning himself. He knows that already, he's an educated man. I doubt you'll find many smokers who smoke in no smoking areas, and the ones who do ARE idiots and have a problem.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.