GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony steal Nintendo ideas.........again"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/12/03 at 14:37
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
"SPOnG is reporting some interesting information this morning about Sony's plans for their PlayStation 3 controller dubbed the "DualShock 3. The following is a list of features that the DualShock 3 will have according to SPOnG's insider sources:

Will be Wireless.

Either 1 or 2 "triggers" in place of the standard shoulder buttons. If single trigger it will be on the right-hand side of the controller.

Digital Pad and Action buttons will be pressure sensitive.

So there you have it -- once again Nintendo is having their ideas copied by Sony, which is completely expected due to the amazing success and functionality of the Wavebird controller."

From nintendojo.com

Can't they think of anything themselves?
No?
Thought not.
Wed 24/12/03 at 13:40
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
talking of bright ideas, I remember buying the Scope thing (shoulder rocket launcher) for the SNES when it came out.
Wed 24/12/03 at 14:23
Regular
I can't see how any of those ideas are stolen from Nintendo. It's nice to see Sony finally changing from that complete piece of crap controller they have now.

And yes, Nintendo did invent the platformer.
Wed 24/12/03 at 14:49
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
TGMbloke wrote:
> Sony invented that touch sensetive button malarky. And I love it.
> XBOX improved upon it. GC doesnt even have it.

Absolute nonsense. Analogue control is what you're talking about, "touch sensitive" is a spectaculat misnomer. Analogue control was used in consoles before Sony ever thought about making a games console - then it was replaced by the "superior" digital control (understandable why that'd be the view with the type of 2D twitch-gaming titles around then), only for things to be reversed again a decade later.

> SEGA invented the wireless on the Saturn I

Non-sense. There's been wireless controllers for years - the remote control for your TV is one. The NES had oodles of infrared controllers, all that's new about them now is that radiowaves are used over the IR ones.

> online console play

On-line play is also as old as the hills, PC anyone? Hell, even the NES had an official modem, SNES had an unofficial on-line project called Satelaview too.

> Nintendo....they invented the little arrows on the DPad, which
> surprisingly, they own a patent for.

Yeah - got one thing right! Invented it for the Game & Watch systems, then it went widespread with the NES. Hard to believe how revolutionary the idea was then, but far more significant than the move back to analogue control now. In fact, it is probably the most significant thing Nintendo have done for gaming.
Wed 24/12/03 at 14:53
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
J-42 wrote:
> Nintendo DID invent the platformer genre. It's a fact.

No it isn’t – it’s a horrendous simplification. Numerous aspects lifted from other games, a few twists on the conventional and widespread success. All repeated with the 3D platformer – doing something well for the first time and doing something for the first time are two totally different things.

But then, repeat something often enough and it becomes fact so... there you go.
Wed 24/12/03 at 15:14
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Konami are slightly ahead of Sega in the peripheral innovation stakes, as far as I'm concerned.

Konami = dance mats, guitars, beatmania, drum kits, sniper rifles with built in screens...

Sega = maracas, fishing rods... other than that it's only light guns and steering wheels.

Nintendo don't really have any kudos on this front.
Wed 24/12/03 at 16:07
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> But the GC pad is a disaster.

What controller have you been using? It certainly isn't the GameCube pad... Sony's is just a hunk of uncomfotable plastic and the XBox is, quite simply, huge. The S Controller is a massive improvement, but the GameCube has the most comfy, best designed and fluent pad of the lot.

Muh.
Wed 24/12/03 at 16:12
Regular
I always though the GameCube pad was a merger of the Virtual Boy and N64 pad - if you look at them together, you'll see what I mean.
Wed 24/12/03 at 19:00
Regular
"WWJD"
so you think nintendo came up with the trigger and pressure sensitive buttons? im thinking they were out before nintendo made them, well at least a trigger
Wed 24/12/03 at 19:40
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Rickoss wrote:
> TGMbloke wrote:
> But the GC pad is a disaster.
>
> What controller have you been using? It certainly isn't the GameCube
> pad... Sony's is just a hunk of uncomfotable plastic and the XBox is,
> quite simply, huge. The S Controller is a massive improvement, but
> the GameCube has the most comfy, best designed and fluent pad of the
> lot.
>
> Muh.

Horse for courses.

Try playing Capcom vs SNK on the GC's awful D-Pad. Sony's one is my preferred choice.
Wed 24/12/03 at 23:38
Regular
About this new pad design, it didn't mention Sony's biggest flaw:

The placing of the analogue stick.
With the dual shock, you have to stretch your thumb over because the ancient, out-dated D-pad gets the main spot.

The Gamecube controller also has a nicer shape to curl your hands around.

Other than that, I wouldn't really tell them apart.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.