GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony steal Nintendo ideas.........again"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/12/03 at 14:37
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
"SPOnG is reporting some interesting information this morning about Sony's plans for their PlayStation 3 controller dubbed the "DualShock 3. The following is a list of features that the DualShock 3 will have according to SPOnG's insider sources:

Will be Wireless.

Either 1 or 2 "triggers" in place of the standard shoulder buttons. If single trigger it will be on the right-hand side of the controller.

Digital Pad and Action buttons will be pressure sensitive.

So there you have it -- once again Nintendo is having their ideas copied by Sony, which is completely expected due to the amazing success and functionality of the Wavebird controller."

From nintendojo.com

Can't they think of anything themselves?
No?
Thought not.
Thu 25/12/03 at 17:50
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Nintendo are the most innovative company in the gaming world.

And that sums it all up.
Thu 25/12/03 at 16:54
Regular
Nintendo invented the four way button code used on the SNES.

Nintendo were the first company to use analogue sticks as normal console design, borrowed when announced by SEGA for the NiGHTS game.

Nintendo invented the trigger button.

The Gamecube does have touch sensitive buttons in the form of the L and R buttons.

The Gamecube is the first console to have a controller that has managed to work out how to reduce and increase size of buttons and placement to signify importance and not the confusing equal sized buttons on the Duel Shock.

Nintendo place the analogue stick nearest the thumb as it is the main form of useage in todays generation (although confessingly Dreamcast did it first)... Nintendo originally, unsure as to whether the analogue stick would take off, had 3 prongs (the N64 pad) so you could use both the D-pad and analogue stick with relative ease.

Nintendo invented the platformer in the form of Donkey Kong. There was no other jumping/platform games invented before this title.

Nintendo invented the fun racer.

Nintendo are the most innovative company in the gaming world.
Thu 25/12/03 at 14:41
Regular
Untitled wrote:
> its also gonna be wireless eg a wavebird rip off!

I see you've read none of the previous posts.
Thu 25/12/03 at 13:46
Regular
"aliens exist"
its also gonna be wireless eg a wavebird rip off!
Thu 25/12/03 at 12:26
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Strafio wrote:
> Sandbox Magician wrote:
> Horse for courses.
>
> Try playing Capcom vs SNK on the GC's awful D-Pad. Sony's one is my
> preferred choice.
>
> The one SINGLE game that actually works better on a D-Pad than an
> analogue stick.
>
> Even then, the D-pad is NOTHING on an arcade stick! :-P

This is true. ;-)
Thu 25/12/03 at 01:52
"I love yo... lamp."
TGMbloke wrote:
> Yes, and a record breaking ammount of 4 japanese business men owned
> Satelaview. DC was the first for a *Proper* online console
> experiance. Email, web browsing, Chu Chu rocket and Unreal. DC was
> the first. Please do not deny it. NES may have eperimented - But DC
> was the first mainstream.

Actually the Saturn had an online service called Netlink. Some games like Duke Nukem had online play. For the time and the technology it was fairly popular.

And it wasn't Gonzo who said that Sony were copying Nintendo when it came to wireless. His first response in this thread was that there had been loads of old IR pads in the past.

Anyone who thinks that the PS or PS2 pad is the most comfortable must have deformed hands. The original Xbox pad was the most comfortable. What?! Well you know what they say about men with big hands and big feet...
Wed 24/12/03 at 23:39
Regular
Sandbox Magician wrote:
> Horse for courses.
>
> Try playing Capcom vs SNK on the GC's awful D-Pad. Sony's one is my
> preferred choice.

The one SINGLE game that actually works better on a D-Pad than an analogue stick.

Even then, the D-pad is NOTHING on an arcade stick! :-P
Wed 24/12/03 at 23:38
Regular
About this new pad design, it didn't mention Sony's biggest flaw:

The placing of the analogue stick.
With the dual shock, you have to stretch your thumb over because the ancient, out-dated D-pad gets the main spot.

The Gamecube controller also has a nicer shape to curl your hands around.

Other than that, I wouldn't really tell them apart.
Wed 24/12/03 at 19:40
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Rickoss wrote:
> TGMbloke wrote:
> But the GC pad is a disaster.
>
> What controller have you been using? It certainly isn't the GameCube
> pad... Sony's is just a hunk of uncomfotable plastic and the XBox is,
> quite simply, huge. The S Controller is a massive improvement, but
> the GameCube has the most comfy, best designed and fluent pad of the
> lot.
>
> Muh.

Horse for courses.

Try playing Capcom vs SNK on the GC's awful D-Pad. Sony's one is my preferred choice.
Wed 24/12/03 at 19:00
Regular
"WWJD"
so you think nintendo came up with the trigger and pressure sensitive buttons? im thinking they were out before nintendo made them, well at least a trigger

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.