GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goatboy does NOT want to be a Notable"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/08/01 at 23:19
Regular
Ok, I rarely say anything of importance or intend anyone to take me seriously.
But I do now, so allow me this one post to speak my mind.

All apologies to those that have voted for me, but I wish to "withdraw" as it were from this ridiculous election.
With no offence meant to anyone, Tony, posters, Notables etc..this has turned into one of the most laughable and pitiful excuses of letting people make decisions for themselves.

I popped on briefly to vote for YH, simply because I don't care but wanted YH to be elected, he's a top guy.
And I find I'm riding high in the charts - flattering but amusing because I have made 0% effort to be a part of this.

I have witnessed spats, people rigging votes and blah blah blah.
I return to check my email and get something via MSN telling me that pb is now a notable and "one other".

So I check here and yep, that's the case.
Great, pb should be very please.
However, it makes me decidely curious how, despite a vote that has been discussed for weeks, someone is made a notable simply because 5 people and the boss say so.

What is the point of having an election if it's just suddenly "Well, he got all the votes anyway and Tony says so"
Big deal.
So 5 people vote for him and the boss.
(and this isn't a dig at pb or me wanting to be a notable at all, I dont care one tiny bit)

What I do care about is that everyone considers their vote, takes it very seriously and it's pointless because 1 boss and 5 notables over-ride everyone else.

Elitist crap.
This whole thing about notable merely being people that add to the forum...it's a mark of respect from everyone else here that they choose who they consider to be a worthy person.
NOT 5 people and the boss.

That is contempt for the entire process and reason of this election and is something I expect to see in a banana South American country, "El Presidente has decided" and VOILA!
New notable.

Well, I want no part of this fiasco and wish to withdraw any attempt or chance of being one of "The Elite", I haven't asked a single person to vote for me, simply because I don't care.
But I do care that the posters opinion's are disregarded because 6 other people send word of their wishes.

This is NOT a dig at pb at all - enjoy a yellow name dude.
But I do not wish to even be considered for a position that, it would appear, would allow me to lord it over every single other person on this forum. The people that make the forums what they are.

And if that isn't the case, why the hell are 5 people allowed to over-rule everyone else and just "create" a new houseboy?

Sorry if a few people take offence at this post, but this forum is enjoyable because it lacks the snobby and "ruling class" system that permeates so many other forums.

But this sudden ignoring of everyone's vote and just elevating someone on the word of 5 people reeks of Elitist doctrine.
Mon 20/08/01 at 01:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
This whole post sums up all the reasons why I voted for ya Goatboy!

*cough*

Anyway, now you put it like that, Tony etc electing a notable is horrendous. What was the point in having an election anyway?

I think there's blame to be placed here. I'm not saying who (I've upset enough people for one day) but I think you all know. If certain people hadn't have done certain things this would never had degraded into the farce it had.
Mon 20/08/01 at 00:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
All I am saying, and not at you in particular, is that the election was there for us all to vote on who WE thought offered something to us.

Not who one person, or a group of people, though.
Whether it's Tony or not.
And yes, I'm aware that he owns these forums etc etc, but to about face and just decide "I know" is wrong and makes a joke over this whole "election" process.

Some people spent days considering, some thing started with newbies against notables and people got banned.
Why?

Because it matters to some people, and to just up and decide to make someone a notable on a personal choice is to urinate in the face of everyone else that took the time and effort to vote.

I don't care about notables, if I disagree with you I'll say so just as quickly as if you were a newbie or a guy in the street.
Not to cause problems, but because I believe that if you use the pretence of an election, even in a forum, then you should abide by the decisions of those that are voting.

To not do so, to act on a "Well I think he should be" is a joke.
And I would say this if it was me being chosen, which is why I pulled out before the winner was announced, because to me this is vile and goes against every single principle that I hold dear.

I believe in integrity and honesty, acting fairly and responsibly.
Not just deciding to make someone a notable because someone thinks they are deserving.

That's NOT what this was about, this was about letting those that use these forums have a say. The people that come up with banners, websites, taglines, advert copy and all manner of corporate business for a free game - to allow those guys to have a little bit of fun and say "I think this person should be a notable".

NOT for someone (be it Tony, a notable or the lord himself) to just wave their hand and voila!
Because that negates the entire process and point of these elections.

That is why I find this whole business odious.
And the fact that I appear to be the only one, yet again, to raise a hand and say "Um..hang on a minute".
And I run the risk of either being banned or "marked out" (another shocking display of behaviour) for merely speaking my feelings, without ranting or cursing, without screaming and shouting and everyone.

I personally, just me myself and I, hold this election, the notables and any further decisions made in the contempt they deserve.
(Not Notables as people, but as an idea)
Mon 20/08/01 at 00:23
Regular
"not dead"
Sorry, I shouldn't have done that.

But the way i see it, Tony made a decision, not me, or any of the other notables, but no doubt it will all come back to the 'notables are corrupt' 'down with notables' kind of trash, that really isn't worth my time of day - Not that i'm saying that's what your point is - I can see that it isn't, but don't blame the notable if it gets to you, blame Tony.

Don't say we decided together when we didn't.
Mon 20/08/01 at 00:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Dont patronise me Meka.

Tony decided, and as The Notables, you should have been the 1st to say:

"Well hang on, isn't there an election for this?"

I dont presume that you sit around "smoking cuban cigars", so dont talk down to me for even a second.
I hold everyone on equal footing, whether your a notable, Tony, Tony Blair or God.

No man is better than me, just as I am better than no man.
I have offered my feelings, not directed at you Meka, so dont come at me with that conspiracy crap ok mate?
Mon 20/08/01 at 00:07
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:

It is me saying that this whole ethos of notables having
> power to vetoe the election and just make one up for themselves is not on.

The thing is, this was Tony's decision. Not because THE NOTABLES gathered around a table, eating caviar, and smoking Cuban cigars, plotting against the rest of the forum. It just so happens that pb is a highly respected member of ukchatforums, and as a result has got votes of many of the notables. Tony decided that he should be made a notable because of this, not me, not Grix, not er-no, not Ant, not FantasyMeister, not Sniper, not SHEEPY, Tony, and he alone.

I think someone like pb, who is more likely to post quality material, than spam to get his word count up (not saying that anyone does, generalism) deserves to be made a 'notable'.
Mon 20/08/01 at 00:04
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, can someone please explain what this idea is of marking out "troublemakers" with a different colour and restricting them to a certain number of topics?

Hello?
Why don't we just sew a yellow star onto their jackets and stick them in ghettos?

This is amazing.
I have seen this place go from a nice forum to one where notables are elected by a small group, completly oblivious and above the election, to people being marked out in a different colour because maybe their posts don't "measure up" or "are against SR line"???????????

Sorry, and I'm aware that I may get banned for merely speaking my mind with no profanity or attacking any one person, but this is just not on.

Tony, how can this forum be a nice, welcoming place if people post in fear of being labelled "undesirable" and limited in what they say or do?

I thought these forums were for people to speak their minds?
Why do we have "report this post to a moderator"?
So we can, of our own volition, decide that something may offend us.

But to single people out and mark them is morally wrong.
I don't want to leave or get banned, I enjoy writing here.
But, if I get banned or "coloured" because someone may think I'm not quite "fitting in", then I will gladly take my leave.

I will continue to post here, as a regular, for as long as I find it interesting and enjoyable.
But with a climate of notables deciding for themselves who shall join them and running the risk of being "marked" for not towing the line is unacceptable.
Mon 20/08/01 at 00:02
Regular
"360: swfcman"
To be honests i cant wait for this election to be done with, its getting very annoying. Its not been a very good few days for the SR discussion bored.
Sun 19/08/01 at 23:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
My aim is not to offend anyone, my aim is to point out that by letting us all elect a Notable, you give us the say in who we feel should be.

NOT who 5 people think should be.

"It was decided"
By whom?

The notables? The "notables doesn't really mean anything".
Those ones?

Or the notables that are allowed to sit way above us and elect themselves a notable, purely for themselves, and let the rest of us peons fight it out?

I have removed myself from the election, so it is not pouting on my part.
It is me saying that this whole ethos of notables having power to vetoe the election and just make one up for themselves is not on.

Sorry if you take offence Meka, but it ain't nothing compared to the absolute disgrace of getting together and choosing pb because you 5 say so.
Sun 19/08/01 at 23:44
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:
!

So don't go lording over the rest of the
> posters.

You think I do?

I havent insulted anyone.

Yes you have. Me, just now.
Sun 19/08/01 at 23:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> It's not like there will be no elected Notable though, it has just
> been decided that pb should be one too.

By 5 people and the boss. Nobody asked the rest of us.

Much like SHEEPY got the
> sympathy vote last time for being a 2 time runner up.

Besides,
> being a notable doesn't really mean anything.

No, it means you get to decide and pick someone to join you, because you like him.
What was the rules? What have people been saying?
"Vote for someone that makes this forum special to you"
Not "Vote for someone, and The Notable will pick someone they like"

In my eyes he's notable
> anyway, as are you Goatboy, as are many others.

uh-uh, I'm a regular and intend to stay that way.

the notable vote
> is just a bit of fun, and really shouldn't be taken so seriously!

So don't go lording over the rest of the posters.
Abide by their decisions or just declare that this means nothing as you make the rules as you go.

This reeks, and I am watching what I say in case I get banned.
But you know what?
If this forum operates a ruling class that ignores that wishes and votes of the people that make this forum special, then I don't care much.

I havent insulted anyone, I havent sworn and I havent yelled or screamed.

I am merely saying that this is absolutely arrogant

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.