GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goatboy does NOT want to be a Notable"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/08/01 at 23:19
Regular
Ok, I rarely say anything of importance or intend anyone to take me seriously.
But I do now, so allow me this one post to speak my mind.

All apologies to those that have voted for me, but I wish to "withdraw" as it were from this ridiculous election.
With no offence meant to anyone, Tony, posters, Notables etc..this has turned into one of the most laughable and pitiful excuses of letting people make decisions for themselves.

I popped on briefly to vote for YH, simply because I don't care but wanted YH to be elected, he's a top guy.
And I find I'm riding high in the charts - flattering but amusing because I have made 0% effort to be a part of this.

I have witnessed spats, people rigging votes and blah blah blah.
I return to check my email and get something via MSN telling me that pb is now a notable and "one other".

So I check here and yep, that's the case.
Great, pb should be very please.
However, it makes me decidely curious how, despite a vote that has been discussed for weeks, someone is made a notable simply because 5 people and the boss say so.

What is the point of having an election if it's just suddenly "Well, he got all the votes anyway and Tony says so"
Big deal.
So 5 people vote for him and the boss.
(and this isn't a dig at pb or me wanting to be a notable at all, I dont care one tiny bit)

What I do care about is that everyone considers their vote, takes it very seriously and it's pointless because 1 boss and 5 notables over-ride everyone else.

Elitist crap.
This whole thing about notable merely being people that add to the forum...it's a mark of respect from everyone else here that they choose who they consider to be a worthy person.
NOT 5 people and the boss.

That is contempt for the entire process and reason of this election and is something I expect to see in a banana South American country, "El Presidente has decided" and VOILA!
New notable.

Well, I want no part of this fiasco and wish to withdraw any attempt or chance of being one of "The Elite", I haven't asked a single person to vote for me, simply because I don't care.
But I do care that the posters opinion's are disregarded because 6 other people send word of their wishes.

This is NOT a dig at pb at all - enjoy a yellow name dude.
But I do not wish to even be considered for a position that, it would appear, would allow me to lord it over every single other person on this forum. The people that make the forums what they are.

And if that isn't the case, why the hell are 5 people allowed to over-rule everyone else and just "create" a new houseboy?

Sorry if a few people take offence at this post, but this forum is enjoyable because it lacks the snobby and "ruling class" system that permeates so many other forums.

But this sudden ignoring of everyone's vote and just elevating someone on the word of 5 people reeks of Elitist doctrine.
Mon 20/08/01 at 13:18
Regular
"not dead"
Despite arguing with Goatboy about this, I do see his point - but it's not like there was NO voted in Notable, it's not like the vote didn't mean anything, because it did.

What annoyed me late last night was the suggestion that the notables decided this. It wasn't even the point Goatboy was making, but I kinda took it personally. :-) That happens. Oops.

But I think you may have gotten the wrong end of the stick with the new colours. I don't think it's for 'unhelpful' posters, or such, but those that have had warnings in the past, perhaps about foul language, or spamming, a bit like a 'yellow card'. I see no problem in giving people a warning, and restricting their access to the forums for a while - it seems more fair that outright banning them.

But I haven't read that thread in it's entirity, so I might have it wrong too!
Mon 20/08/01 at 13:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'll be hiding in the DVD forum for a while, less chance of being noticed there.

Congrats to Wookie for having a gold name, dont you let the comedy-duo drop now y'hear?
Mon 20/08/01 at 13:08
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I have not said SR do so, I am merely writing as I think.

I have read a topic where it is being considered that people that make less than helpful posts are to be "coloured" and restricted in the way they can post.

That, along with another issue, has made me consider the general manner in which the forums now operate.
Again, I am not attacking or slurring SR in any way, merely saying that a climate where people may feel afraid to post as they see fit for fear of being marked out is not on.

Please do not think I am intentionally stirring anything up,I do not operate like that at all.

I am voicing my concerns without hysterical ranting or demanding that people be held accountable.
I have offered my feelings and thoughts on this election and a proposal to segregate and deride posters with a colouring system, which I personally find abhorrent.

Again, I am only stating my personal feelings on things, not directing anger or hostility towards either Tony, yourself or SR.

I felt that should I continue to express my feelings on this matter in the way that I do, I ran the risk of having my account suspended.
If this is not the case, then I am grateful that SR do not operate in such a manner and will make no further mention of it.

Once more, to make sure I am clearly understood:

My complaints have been directed towards two issues.
If my words have caused offence, that was not the intention.
I demanded no action, because I do not have the right to do so.
I have expressed my thoughts and you have assured me that, on one point, I am unfounded.

I apologise if I have caused ill-feeling towards you guys, that is never the intention of my posts.
But I will continue to voice my concerns, in a general and polite manner, but taking in your post.

Thank you.
Mon 20/08/01 at 13:02
Regular
"always swirling"
jd99 wrote:
> I agree 100% with everything Goatboy has said. In reality the fact
> that someone becomes a notable doesn't really matter because we all
> have other lives away from this forum, at least I hope you do. The
> way in which Pb was elected though is a bit strange, just because
> more 'important' people were totally behind him doesn't mean
> anything. No-one is more important than anyone else and everyones
> views are on the same level.

you mean there is more to life than the forums?

* lexus crawls out of his cardboard box in the middle of a field and looks outside at the rain and mud, then crawls back inside again *

i prefer the forums thankyou.
Mon 20/08/01 at 12:49
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Goatboy wrote:

That is why I
> find this whole business odious.
And the fact that I appear to be
> the only one, yet again, to raise a hand and say "Um..hang on a
> minute".
And I run the risk of either being banned or
> "marked out" (another shocking display of behaviour) for
> merely speaking my feelings, without ranting or cursing, without
> screaming and shouting and everyone.

You have a few times in this thread mentioned the possiblity of being banned. Who has threatened to ban you for posting your feelings? As far as I know we have never treated our users in that way and have only banned users for offensive behaviour or consistant abuse of the forums. You yourself have complained about offensive users and have acted as we saw fit.

We have no intention of banning anyone for expressing an opinion so, unless you can prove me wrong, please do not imply that we regularly act in this way.
Mon 20/08/01 at 12:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, there has been a misunderstanding here.
I am not suggesting, having spoken to Meka, that the Notables all got together and voted and their decision was decreed final.

However:
All of the notables chose pb, fair enough. That's their choice.
Tony chose pb, again fair enough, personal choice.

But to elevate someone purely because they got 6 votes is wrong.
Doesn't matter who the people that voted were, fact is that there were people with more than 6 votes that weren't even considered.

This was for the foggers to choose someone they felt was worth it.
This is not an attack on pb, but I have read loads of "I dont know who you are pb, but well done".

That is not the unanimous voice of the forum voting him, as is the case with Wookie.

This is a person being a Notable purely because of 6 votes.
Doesn't make any sense.
Blair can't ignore voting at elections and stick someone he likes in, even though they got 6 votes.

6 votes is nothing. Plenty others for more than that, so why not make them notables as well?

Favouritism and biased running of, what has turned out to be, a farce and pretty contemptous election.

I am pleased for Wookie, he deserved it.
I have no opinion on pb, as the way in which he "got made" is dubious at best - but not his fault so I bear no ill-feeling whatsoever.

But, I got more votes than pb, so why the hell am I not a notable then?
My votes were fair and unsolicited.
I got twice as many, yet I still remain a regular.

I'm NOT saying I want to be one, I pulled out.
All I'm saying is, I got double pbs votes but because I just sat back and let people vote for me, of their own free will because they think I should be a Notable.

That is flattering to me (although I don't know why anyone would vote for me), but to ignore votes from genuine people and merely elect someone because "I like him" is pitiful.

It really is.

This is the last I will say on this topic, no need to bang on about it and quite frankly, I have better things to think about.

I will finish with this:

"Even if only in appearance, one must strive and fight against what is perceived to be unjust and distasteful actions. You risk persecution, laughter and resentment, but at least you have the knowledge that you spoke your mind and stood your ground. You may lose, but ultimately you win where it counts the most: In your own faith, morals and sense of what is right. These are the ways in which you live and these are the ways for which you must die"
Primo Levi
Mon 20/08/01 at 11:56
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I agree 100% with everything Goatboy has said. In reality the fact that someone becomes a notable doesn't really matter because we all have other lives away from this forum, at least I hope you do. The way in which Pb was elected though is a bit strange, just because more 'important' people were totally behind him doesn't mean anything. No-one is more important than anyone else and everyones views are on the same level.
Mon 20/08/01 at 02:54
Turbonutter wrote:

I think there's blame to be placed here. I'm not
> saying who.

You mean me Right?
Mon 20/08/01 at 01:31
Darkreaper wrote:
That why
> people can earn their position and respect from other posters.

Sorry, should "that WAY, people can earn their position and respect from other posters.
Mon 20/08/01 at 01:28
Ever since this whole "status" thing started up there has been nothing but moaning, bickering and people being viewed, not for their post or their contributions to the forums in general, but to the colour of their name and what is written underneath it.

Newbies had a hard time as the majority of them did post crap, but so did a lot of regulars but because they where newbies they where told to bascially shove off. When i was a newbie i was often asked not to participate in discussions by regulars and i still see this happening now. er-no even said at one point that he entered as er-yes (who has a newbie status) he was asked to leave the thread. Newbies aren't allowed to post in the FOG (prime) threads, why is that? A lot of it is still filled with crap that is posted by regulars. But because that regular knows other regulars outside the forums then it's ok. Look at the forum now, it's full of rubbish about elections, like you get to run the country if you win.
Seeing as newbies learn of their dreaded "label" they try to become a regular by posting short topics, which actually started to newbies being banned from posting in the FOG (Prime) section as most of the posted where made there. Then came the regulars who actually set up groups against newbies, what’s the point?

And now the elections. Everybody is going around saying vote for me!, vote for me! and the FOG (Prime) has come under a barrage of crap from people who either want to be voted or are trying to get somebody else elected.

I'm not having ago at newbies, regulars or notables but alot of hassle and grief could be avoided if the whole "Status" thing was removed and elections where not hold so that everybody is EQUAL. That why people can earn their position and respect from other posters.

Darkreaper

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.