GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goatboy does NOT want to be a Notable"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/08/01 at 23:19
Regular
Ok, I rarely say anything of importance or intend anyone to take me seriously.
But I do now, so allow me this one post to speak my mind.

All apologies to those that have voted for me, but I wish to "withdraw" as it were from this ridiculous election.
With no offence meant to anyone, Tony, posters, Notables etc..this has turned into one of the most laughable and pitiful excuses of letting people make decisions for themselves.

I popped on briefly to vote for YH, simply because I don't care but wanted YH to be elected, he's a top guy.
And I find I'm riding high in the charts - flattering but amusing because I have made 0% effort to be a part of this.

I have witnessed spats, people rigging votes and blah blah blah.
I return to check my email and get something via MSN telling me that pb is now a notable and "one other".

So I check here and yep, that's the case.
Great, pb should be very please.
However, it makes me decidely curious how, despite a vote that has been discussed for weeks, someone is made a notable simply because 5 people and the boss say so.

What is the point of having an election if it's just suddenly "Well, he got all the votes anyway and Tony says so"
Big deal.
So 5 people vote for him and the boss.
(and this isn't a dig at pb or me wanting to be a notable at all, I dont care one tiny bit)

What I do care about is that everyone considers their vote, takes it very seriously and it's pointless because 1 boss and 5 notables over-ride everyone else.

Elitist crap.
This whole thing about notable merely being people that add to the forum...it's a mark of respect from everyone else here that they choose who they consider to be a worthy person.
NOT 5 people and the boss.

That is contempt for the entire process and reason of this election and is something I expect to see in a banana South American country, "El Presidente has decided" and VOILA!
New notable.

Well, I want no part of this fiasco and wish to withdraw any attempt or chance of being one of "The Elite", I haven't asked a single person to vote for me, simply because I don't care.
But I do care that the posters opinion's are disregarded because 6 other people send word of their wishes.

This is NOT a dig at pb at all - enjoy a yellow name dude.
But I do not wish to even be considered for a position that, it would appear, would allow me to lord it over every single other person on this forum. The people that make the forums what they are.

And if that isn't the case, why the hell are 5 people allowed to over-rule everyone else and just "create" a new houseboy?

Sorry if a few people take offence at this post, but this forum is enjoyable because it lacks the snobby and "ruling class" system that permeates so many other forums.

But this sudden ignoring of everyone's vote and just elevating someone on the word of 5 people reeks of Elitist doctrine.
Mon 20/08/01 at 17:59
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
As I have said all along... well done pb!

:-)
Mon 20/08/01 at 17:53
Regular
Firstly, congratulations to Pb and Wookiee, if you're notables or not, you both equally deserve to be anyway.

Secondly. Tony awarded an extra notable. I didn't see anyone complaining when Tony first awarded an extra gameaday.

The voting is not a farce. We'll get a notable through votes too. So what's the problem? This isn't life or death, there is no real power with the magnificent golden name, so why the fuss?

So, Pb became a notable a bit early... he would have become one sooner or later anyway, and it's definitely deserved. He probably feels awful about what's going on, so go put you head in a bucket of water and think about what you're saying.
Mon 20/08/01 at 17:27
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Well emm hello all.

Just before I start typing drivel I feel like a piece of crap... really if you met me in person you would probably kill me because of my moaning.

Anyway lets see. I think that election was a shambles in all areas. So was the first and second. No offence.

The first was not correct as the system was a complete mess. The first five that had five votes were in... so any old 5 posters could have voted themselves in... complete mess although the correct people got in.

Now the second was a mess as well namely to do with myself. No offence to er-no here but... if I remember he was pain in the backside on the forums (now he is TOP bloke). I remember all of a sudden a bunch of people that had been on the forums began throwing votes around and in end somehow I got in. I really don't think I should... so I did come runner up and was a bit annoyed but not really concerned. Although seeing someone else get in whilst you are on every day for months and months before could be a bit annoying.

Anyway where was I... oh yeah it was very nice of Tony to give me the urine colour and I was grateful as somehow it did feel good getting some recognition for posting here and I am sure many people were like myself who do not have that status. It was ok having it and yeah I got in mag which was nice but then you get people asking you stuff and your like "argh". You then get attacked for no reason and moaned at, posts made about you and all you want to do is post andenjoy the forums. I never asked to become notable, I never had campagin so that was it.

Now this one was a mess. I have suggested maybe the votes should be segret, and easier to read votes and you can see vote so far. And mosts votes for TW were I think all fixed or something...

[BORED and TOO TIRED NOW]

Finish rest later :D
Mon 20/08/01 at 15:41
Regular
"not dead"
kevd wrote:
> wrote:
> Can I just ask out of cusiosity, what is the big deal
> about becoming a notable ? Any benefits to it ?

None at all.

At first it was a bit of recognition for decent posts, and making the forums what they are, but now it seems to put you in line for blame for all sorts of things! (Note, I'm not refering to anything posted by Goatboy in this thread, more the NRA type stuff!)
Mon 20/08/01 at 15:29
wrote:
> Can I just ask out of cusiosity, what is the big deal about becoming a notable ? Any benefits to it ?
Mon 20/08/01 at 13:45
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:

I wasn't trying to fight with anyone Meka,
> specially not a Wings Worshipper.

Finally got my cheque in the post, so should be 'building terror' soon!

> I'm going to shut up about anything other than fart jokes and movies, because people take it the wrong way and I end up defending myself for 2 days and putting noses out of joint.

I don't see why you should feel you have to. Say what you like (without being offensive etc), that's why you got the votes you did, for what it's worth.
Mon 20/08/01 at 13:44
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> I personally don't have a problem with the notable
> system, it is only confirming in my mind what I already knew about
> some people that post on here.

That, shirley, would not make me a Notable?!
Mon 20/08/01 at 13:37
Regular
I really couldn't be bothered to comment on this last night as I was too knackered. Here is whatI have to say now:

I was speaking to the notables before the election, and knew that they were going to vote for pb. I also know that they didn't do this knowing he would be made if all th notables voted the same person.

That decision was Tony's, and Tony's alone.

Congratulations to pb, and Wookiee as it appears he got the most votes, but this is yet to be confirmed.

I personally don't have a problem with the notable system, it is only confirming in my mind what I already knew about some people that post on here.

Neither do I have a problem with the newbie/regular thingy. You cannot have a classless society, it simply won't work, but that is another discussion altogether.....
Mon 20/08/01 at 13:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Despite arguing with Goatboy about this, I do see his point

I wasn't trying to fight with anyone Meka, specially not a Wings Worshipper.

I'm going to shut up about anything other than fart jokes and movies, because people take it the wrong way and I end up defending myself for 2 days and putting noses out of joint.

Loki, cheers for reassuring me, sorry if SR took offence.

My points still stand that I made, and I believe I have only spoken my feelings - for what their worth.

Y'all enjoy gold names and dodgy decisions, life goes on and I continue with Log in The Creek.

Episode 2 this Friday.
Mon 20/08/01 at 13:32
"High polygon count"
Goatboy wrote:
> Congrats to Wookie for having a gold name, dont
> you let the comedy-duo drop now y'hear?

As if!

For the benefit of everyone, though (not just Goaty!), I'd like to point out a few things...

1. I'm not convnced I actually won.
2. Not all the Notables voted for pb. Meka did in fact vote for me, so Tony was slightly wrong in his 'pb plus one other' post.
3. My 'campaign' was a genuine joke. While I would not refuse a win, it was never my intention to compete seriously in the election.
4. If I did win, the new-found power will not change me one bit. Well, apart from the colour of my name, obviously. (Not that it changed anyone else, either.)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.