GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do I buy a PS2 now or wait for a Gamecube??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/08/01 at 15:33
Regular
Ok, so what do you think I should do. I have been thinking about getting a PS2 but after looking at some previews for the Gamecube I am starting to think it will be the superior machine, and it is cheaper. Do you think the Gamecube will be a big hit or will it start out promising and fizzle out like the N64 did. Do you think there is any chance there will be a dramatic price cut in the PS2 once the Gamecube comes out. I am really stuck on this. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Sun 19/08/01 at 13:48
Dringo wrote:

WRONG! No offence but the GBA costed $100 in America and the proper RRP is £80 in Britain! So double both and how much do you get $200 and £160.

In reply:

Its true that retailers charged to much initially for the GBA, i.e. £99 over here.

..... hopefully this is what Nintendo are planning in the states and over here, that is that the GameCube will sell for £200 initially (In order to get retailers to push its sales up with a £40 sweetener) before say dropping in price to £160 a month or so later.

If however the GameCube sells for £200, as a long term strategy then I think the Xbox and PS2 will run all over it.

After all an extra £100 for an Xbox which is faster has more games, is broadband internet ready, plays DVD movies and may even be able to act as a home PC (Given some tinkering) isnt really that much more to pay!
Sun 19/08/01 at 13:15
Ok. Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll wait a few months until the Gamecube is in the shops and make my decision then. Cheers.
Sun 19/08/01 at 00:32
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
OK - I haven't (admittedly) read the whole lot of this thread, but i'm going to let you in on what I think...

I have a Playstation 2 because at the time when I bought the beauty, it was, to put it simply: irresistable. I only ever played one when a mate of mine brought his round, and I can safely say that I was drooling over its superior graphics. Yet even though I was happy when I had it in my hands, I couldn't help but wonder if I should of waited for the GameCube.

Before I got the the PS2 I already knew how gorgeous the GameCubes' graphics looked, thanks to N64 magazine - and once again I was drooling away at the sight of those screenshots of Gamecube games.

So, what to get? Well, it's primely up to you really laddie. Only I think the Gamecube would be a better choice. Not long ago I was reading the latest N64 mag. And it had a preview of EXTREME G 3 - and I have to say it looks like something special. But that's not it - no, there's more. They interviewed Acclaim Cheltenham and they said that the 4 Player on Gamecube is exclusive because the PS2 cannot - I repeat - cannot, simply, handle four players; that is one hell of an indication of the Gamecube's power, eh?

Thanks - Shocktrooper.
Sun 19/08/01 at 00:15
After all, they are games we are meant to play, not work to complete. Save the dull colours for exam papers, eh?
Sat 18/08/01 at 23:50
Strafex wrote:
> nobby flagpole wrote:
> Did you like the type of games for the
> N64 - kiddies games?

Kiddies games?

Grow up!

Cartoony games
> which are as good and as playable and as challenging as any of your
> "adult" games!

Did I say they weren't as good and as playable??? NO.
I said if you didn't like that TYPE of game...
I personally don't like those "cartoony" games, but many people do and that is why they bought an N64.
Sat 18/08/01 at 23:13
Regular
woops sorry :)
Sat 18/08/01 at 23:12
Regular
WRONG! No offence but the GBA costed $100 in America and the proper RRP is £80 in Britain! So double both and how much do you get $200 and £160. Oh and Vote Dringo ;)
Sat 18/08/01 at 23:12
Regular
WRONG! No offence but the GBA costed $100 in America and the proper RRP is £80 in Britain! So double both and how much do you get $200 and £160.
Sat 18/08/01 at 23:10
I just check electronic bouiques US site and theyre selling the GameCube for $199+TAX, which mean it will cost £200 buy the time it reaches us. This is £50 more than I expected, sob ;-(
Sat 18/08/01 at 22:32
Regular
nobby flagpole wrote:
> Did you like the type of games for the N64 - kiddies games?

Kiddies games?

Grow up!

Cartoony games which are as good and as playable and as challenging as any of your "adult" games!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.