GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do we really need 500 cars?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gran Turismo 4 (GT4)'.
Sat 17/01/04 at 17:13
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Gran Turismo 4, rumoured to have around 500 cars but do we really need them all? I mean in previous installments of the GT series you only ever used about 20 cars regularly, because all the rest were either boring to drive, or just far too slow.

So maybe if the developers cut the cars down to about 100 that you'd actually want to drive, then it would cut development time down quite a bit, and cost them much less.
Mon 19/01/04 at 11:00
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
This is a bit off topic, but I just had to brag - I got my Driving Force Pro wheel set up yesterday, it's just awesome. The 900 degrees makes counter steering a b!tch... but that's what makes drifting hard in reality.
Sun 18/01/04 at 23:39
"I love yo... lamp."
The thing with lots of cars is that it equalises the game somewhat. There are more ways to get the same amount of performance.

As for development costs, I read an article about the car models being made. Owners donated their cars for a few hours for photo shoots, so in that regard it never cost them.
Sun 18/01/04 at 22:36
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Lou Role wrote:
> lalakersrule wrote:
> Gamers never seem to be happy with what they get, they'll always
> find
> something to moan about (and in some cases it's very justified) 500
> cars means you have choice of what you drive.
>
> I'm not exactly moaning about the fact there are 500 cars, it does
> give people more choice. But all I'm saying is that surely 100-150
> cars would be enough for anybody?

Depends on the included cars. What I sometimes hate with GT games is that they have the same car many times. You get the low power/basic version, family version, special editon version, racing version etc. If they stuck with the best model of each car then that would cut the number of cars down alot, but still keep the variety in terms of different cars.
Sun 18/01/04 at 22:33
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Lou Role wrote:
> FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> What you DO need, on the other hand, is damage and proper AI.
>
> I don't understand why Gran Turismo never has any damage in it. I
> know they say they can't get permission from some of the cars'
> manufacturers, but then why does PGR2 have damage? For the most
> part, it uses the same cars as GT.

But if one car maker thats in the game says "no" to damage then they either take out the cars associated with the maker or dont include damage. PGR2 has tons of cars from nearly every major car maker so surly GT4 could do damage. Maybe there devoted to making 500 cars rather than implement real time damage :D
Sun 18/01/04 at 18:53
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
lalakersrule wrote:
> Gamers never seem to be happy with what they get, they'll always find
> something to moan about (and in some cases it's very justified) 500
> cars means you have choice of what you drive.

I'm not exactly moaning about the fact there are 500 cars, it does give people more choice. But all I'm saying is that surely 100-150 cars would be enough for anybody?

It would cut development time down a heck of a lot, and it would probably save the developers a small fortune. Perhaps with the time and money saved from having less cars, they could put more effort into working out a solution to put a damage system in, and perhaps improving driver AI.

Oh well, just a thought.
Sun 18/01/04 at 18:25
Regular
Everyone is unique in that they all have thier favourite cars. The more the better i say. Its great modifying a a crappy little car to the max. In that sense i wouldnt mind a bit of NFS: underground in Gt4 :)
Sun 18/01/04 at 16:45
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
and if the game only had 35 cars i'm sure the topic would be *Why does GT4 only have 35 cars? I want more*

Gamers never seem to be happy with what they get, they'll always find something to moan about (and in some cases it's very justified) 500 cars means you have choice of what you drive. If you didn't like the Dodge Viper but that's all the game gave you to drive in the late stages i'm sure you wouldn't be too happy about that.
Sun 18/01/04 at 16:40
"Genius!"
I think it's good to have loads of cars because then its basically impossible to use all the cars so you dont get bored of the cars you're driving.

(My opinion anyway)
Sat 17/01/04 at 21:31
"period drama"
Probably for the same reason you can never get a proper lead and you bounce off walls. Some degree of laziness, I'm sure.
Sat 17/01/04 at 21:13
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> What you DO need, on the other hand, is damage and proper AI.

I don't understand why Gran Turismo never has any damage in it. I know they say they can't get permission from some of the cars' manufacturers, but then why does PGR2 have damage? For the most part, it uses the same cars as GT.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.