GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should Nintendo stop producing consoles???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/01/04 at 23:35
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I've been pondering this question for a while. And I'm not talking about hand-held consoles, I still think Nintendo should keep producing them; I'm just referring to N64/GameCube etc.

The reason I say this is because how beneficial is the actual console to Nintendo. Console hardware is always sold at a loss; companies just make money off the games. Well I guess Nintendo would also make some money off licensing out the rights to produce games on its console to the few developers it has.

My point is this. What makes a Nintendo console? (Not game related; actual hardware issues) It's not really the technical brilliance of the thing! The one defining factor of a Nintendo console 'to me anyways', is the controller design! Just look at the way Nintendo are going to be tackling N5, "Graphics have reached a standstill so we are going to look to other ways to surprise the gamer... blah blah."

Fair enough Jimmy Nintendo, but you don't need to release a new console to just do that! The only point of releasing a new console is to advance the hardware, the processor power, thus the graphical output!

If you want to advance gaming by creating new and exciting peripherals, then fine go ahead, but why not release them on another platform. PS3???

For me, Nintendo are their "games" and their "controllers"! It doesn't bother me what box they connect to, as long as I can use em. So why don't Nintendo cut their losses at producing consoles 'en mass' people don't really want.

How much revenue do you think Nintendo would make if they were to release Mario Kart on PS2?? 10 billion sales? ;) Maybe!

I just think Nintendo should joint forces with the likes of Sony, and concentrate on creating some first class peripherals and some FANTASTIC games!

Well it's an idea...

:)
Wed 21/01/04 at 15:55
Regular
Nintendo would work better with Microsoft, online play set up and Nintendo would be attacking an untapped market.

BUT Nintendo don't want to make games for a system they don't understand, a userbase that doesn't want their games... they also make a huge mint being such a massive publisher.
Wed 21/01/04 at 12:01
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Edgy wrote:
> Why share the profits when they can keep them all by keeping the games
> as first party?

Why would they share the profits of their games? I'm not talking about a complete merger of the companies. More that Nintendo just pick another console, ala PS3, which has about 50million more times the people who are gonna buy the games than on their console, and release all their stuff on that. Nintendo would make masses more money and millions more would get to sample the delights of their games.

Wed 21/01/04 at 08:34
Regular
Why share the profits when they can keep them all by keeping the games as first party?

As for the consoles making a loss - Xbox units make a huge loss, as do PS2s, but as far as I am aware, Nintendo don't lose much at all per console sold.
Wed 21/01/04 at 00:19
Regular
Nintendo and Microsoft would make a killer team....

That would be a good team...

Not Sony and Nintendo...

Nintendo have a massive software house, why give up such cool profits.
Tue 20/01/04 at 23:35
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I've been pondering this question for a while. And I'm not talking about hand-held consoles, I still think Nintendo should keep producing them; I'm just referring to N64/GameCube etc.

The reason I say this is because how beneficial is the actual console to Nintendo. Console hardware is always sold at a loss; companies just make money off the games. Well I guess Nintendo would also make some money off licensing out the rights to produce games on its console to the few developers it has.

My point is this. What makes a Nintendo console? (Not game related; actual hardware issues) It's not really the technical brilliance of the thing! The one defining factor of a Nintendo console 'to me anyways', is the controller design! Just look at the way Nintendo are going to be tackling N5, "Graphics have reached a standstill so we are going to look to other ways to surprise the gamer... blah blah."

Fair enough Jimmy Nintendo, but you don't need to release a new console to just do that! The only point of releasing a new console is to advance the hardware, the processor power, thus the graphical output!

If you want to advance gaming by creating new and exciting peripherals, then fine go ahead, but why not release them on another platform. PS3???

For me, Nintendo are their "games" and their "controllers"! It doesn't bother me what box they connect to, as long as I can use em. So why don't Nintendo cut their losses at producing consoles 'en mass' people don't really want.

How much revenue do you think Nintendo would make if they were to release Mario Kart on PS2?? 10 billion sales? ;) Maybe!

I just think Nintendo should joint forces with the likes of Sony, and concentrate on creating some first class peripherals and some FANTASTIC games!

Well it's an idea...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.