GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should Nintendo stop producing consoles???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/01/04 at 23:35
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I've been pondering this question for a while. And I'm not talking about hand-held consoles, I still think Nintendo should keep producing them; I'm just referring to N64/GameCube etc.

The reason I say this is because how beneficial is the actual console to Nintendo. Console hardware is always sold at a loss; companies just make money off the games. Well I guess Nintendo would also make some money off licensing out the rights to produce games on its console to the few developers it has.

My point is this. What makes a Nintendo console? (Not game related; actual hardware issues) It's not really the technical brilliance of the thing! The one defining factor of a Nintendo console 'to me anyways', is the controller design! Just look at the way Nintendo are going to be tackling N5, "Graphics have reached a standstill so we are going to look to other ways to surprise the gamer... blah blah."

Fair enough Jimmy Nintendo, but you don't need to release a new console to just do that! The only point of releasing a new console is to advance the hardware, the processor power, thus the graphical output!

If you want to advance gaming by creating new and exciting peripherals, then fine go ahead, but why not release them on another platform. PS3???

For me, Nintendo are their "games" and their "controllers"! It doesn't bother me what box they connect to, as long as I can use em. So why don't Nintendo cut their losses at producing consoles 'en mass' people don't really want.

How much revenue do you think Nintendo would make if they were to release Mario Kart on PS2?? 10 billion sales? ;) Maybe!

I just think Nintendo should joint forces with the likes of Sony, and concentrate on creating some first class peripherals and some FANTASTIC games!

Well it's an idea...

:)
Thu 22/01/04 at 00:39
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Ask yourself - "what is the point of a new console?". It's
> not merely to improve graphics, or speed, or what have you - it's to
> use ever advancing technology to take innovative steps forward in
> gaming hardware. And so far, Nintendo have never failed to impress.

erh? What did the GameCube do over the N64 other than improve the graphical capabilities? It improved the storage capacity to allow bigger games n stuff. But really there's not much you can do at the moment. Which is what Nintendo have openly admitted. That consoles have kinda reached there point at the moment and we have to look at other ways to make advances. So why do you need to release a new console to do that? So that you don't look like your falling behind to your competitors!

> In terms of consoles themselves, they've given us the N64 Expansion
> Pak,

Consoles shouldn't need addons to improve their graphical capabilities. Even though it was nice in some games!

> the 64DD Silicon Implant,

Though I was really excited about that when it was first announced, it was a complete failure!

> Optical Discs that can't be pirated (for the GameCube),

GameCube games can be pirated, and played 'through' a GameCube!

> and a whole load of other ideas I can't really be
> bothered to recall. And that's not to mention their ideas that didn't
> take off - R.O.B., the Virtual Boy, online gaming for the SNES and
> the lightgun for the NES.

By saying ideas that didn't take off.... isn't that answering my question as to why Nintendo shouldn't make any new consoles! Plus you could use some online features back on the NES.

> That is why Nintendo MUST remain in the hardware business. Because
> they focus on real advancements instead of/aswell as fancy graphics.

Yer, why don't they do that, but release their advances on someone elses advanced fancy graphics machine!

:)
Wed 21/01/04 at 22:16
Regular
"thursdayton!"
leflus wrote:
> Sure, they had lost more money on the DC than Nintendo with the GC

Nintendo aren't losing money on the Cube at all. Sega was hemorraghing money because the DC was a flop. Two completely different circumstances
Wed 21/01/04 at 21:45
Regular
In my opinion it would not work
Think about Sega.
How did they end up when they became software only.
Sure, they had lost more money on the DC than Nintendo with the GC, but you get my point,right?
Sega has not given us the real AAA titles that they were capable of in the past after they started to produse games for other consoles.
But there are some good sides with a deal between Ninteno and Sony or Microsoft.
With Sony they could get better advertising on their games and possibly better online play.
And with Microsoft they could get better graphics and superior online play.
But for now they should stick with their own consoles.
Wed 21/01/04 at 18:42
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Nintendo are about as compatable with Sony as a Polar Bear is in the Desert- it just won't work.

Nintendo have always, and continue to, impress with not only software, but hardware too. I have been suprised, no, amazed at the quality and effort put into each one. I remember getting myself excited over the Gamecube, and when I received mine on launch day I could hardly contain myself- everything I thought would be amazing was in fact ten times better.

I've never experienced that with Sony or MS. I sold my PS2, it was collecting dust, and the Xbox never really impressed me from day one. Especially as I nearly broke my foot with the damn thing.

Pfft.
Wed 21/01/04 at 18:11
Regular
Cooky wrote:
> My point is this. What makes a Nintendo console? (Not game related;
> actual hardware issues) It's not really the technical brilliance of
> the thing! The one defining factor of a Nintendo console 'to me
> anyways', is the controller design! Just look at the way Nintendo
> are going to be tackling N5, "Graphics have reached a standstill
> so we are going to look to other ways to surprise the gamer... blah
> blah."

For me, it is that very sentence which is the reason why Nintendo must continue to produce consoles.

Ask yourself - "what is the point of a new console?". It's not merely to improve graphics, or speed, or what have you - it's to use ever advancing technology to take innovative steps forward in gaming hardware. And so far, Nintendo have never failed to impress.

You mention their controllers - they've given us D-Pads, Analogue Sticks, Shoulder Buttons, Trigger Buttons and Analogue Buttons (I think). With the N64, they even gave us the idea of slotting memory cards/etc into the controller, the rumble pack and different coloured controllers (which were very practical as well as attractive). Also there's the Wavebird; the first cordless controller to be well designed and work well.

In terms of consoles themselves, they've given us the N64 Expansion Pak, the 64DD Silicon Implant, Optical Discs that can't be pirated (for the GameCube), and a whole load of other ideas I can't really be bothered to recall. And that's not to mention their ideas that didn't take off - R.O.B., the Virtual Boy, online gaming for the SNES and the lightgun for the NES.

That is why Nintendo MUST remain in the hardware business. Because they focus on real advancements instead of/aswell as fancy graphics.
Wed 21/01/04 at 17:46
Regular
"gsybe you!"
tphi wrote:
>>
> Gamecube is doing well all over the world right now. - How can third
> place in Europe count as "well"? Or are you comparing it to
> N-Gage sales?

Hmmm.

Apparantly beating Xbox worldwide......
Wed 21/01/04 at 17:42
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Likewise Dringo, how can you be so sure it won't fail? Played on one? Seen what it looks like? Etc..

Seen Nintendo's advertisement campaign for it? - This one made me laugh. Heh.. Nintendo.. advertising. Hahahaa.

Gamecube is doing well all over the world right now. - How can third place in Europe count as "well"? Or are you comparing it to N-Gage sales?
Wed 21/01/04 at 16:51
Regular
Oh, the irony :^)

Interesting idea, I'd agree about the controller being the cube's main strength, but I'm not sure they could make much impact producing 3rd party peripherals.

Take the PS2 for example, there must be many players who'd like a better controller (sure, plenty will be happy with the dual shock, but there have to be a lot who want something fresher). Yet nobody's been able to produce one successfully.
You could argue ninty would be in a better position, as they wouldn't have the usual 3rd party = low quality stigma, you could argue that ninty's innovation would be a key factor in breaking the new ground successfully, but I don't think those factors would be enough to make a project successful.

I think I'd like to see a co-operation between ninty and ms, but not sony. I get the impression that the former two companies have a genuine interest in quality and progress. Sony's commercial focus would probably be a very bad influence on nintendo.
Wed 21/01/04 at 16:12
Regular
fail? How do you know? Played on one? Seen what it looks like?

Done focus groups to see if it'll appeal to specific audiences?

Seen Nintendo's advertisement campaign for it?

know anything about it at all?

No?

Then shut up.

Gamecube is doing well all over the world right now.
Wed 21/01/04 at 16:09
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Nintendo should focus on the GameCube (a big last in Europe and still second in the US and Japan) and GBA (to keep it going strong - which keeps Nintendo in business), and their successors.

Not waste time with the DS, which will fail.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.