GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should Nintendo stop producing consoles???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/01/04 at 23:35
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I've been pondering this question for a while. And I'm not talking about hand-held consoles, I still think Nintendo should keep producing them; I'm just referring to N64/GameCube etc.

The reason I say this is because how beneficial is the actual console to Nintendo. Console hardware is always sold at a loss; companies just make money off the games. Well I guess Nintendo would also make some money off licensing out the rights to produce games on its console to the few developers it has.

My point is this. What makes a Nintendo console? (Not game related; actual hardware issues) It's not really the technical brilliance of the thing! The one defining factor of a Nintendo console 'to me anyways', is the controller design! Just look at the way Nintendo are going to be tackling N5, "Graphics have reached a standstill so we are going to look to other ways to surprise the gamer... blah blah."

Fair enough Jimmy Nintendo, but you don't need to release a new console to just do that! The only point of releasing a new console is to advance the hardware, the processor power, thus the graphical output!

If you want to advance gaming by creating new and exciting peripherals, then fine go ahead, but why not release them on another platform. PS3???

For me, Nintendo are their "games" and their "controllers"! It doesn't bother me what box they connect to, as long as I can use em. So why don't Nintendo cut their losses at producing consoles 'en mass' people don't really want.

How much revenue do you think Nintendo would make if they were to release Mario Kart on PS2?? 10 billion sales? ;) Maybe!

I just think Nintendo should joint forces with the likes of Sony, and concentrate on creating some first class peripherals and some FANTASTIC games!

Well it's an idea...

:)
Sun 25/01/04 at 10:01
Regular
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Nintendo rocks!!!
Fri 23/01/04 at 22:05
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
About the joining with microsoft or sony- sony is a no no.

Microsoft have not much worhty things when it comes to my eye. Internet. Anyone can do internet.

I say they join with apple when they join the console market to get the ultimate and best online and proccesor powers.

It would be awsome.
Thu 22/01/04 at 19:41
"I love yo... lamp."
Dringo wrote:
> If Nintendo went multi-format I'd have to buy 2 systems, which I don't
> want to do.

Why would you need to buy two systems? Only if they did a Sega and released games exclusive to a platform, like Jet Set Radio being Xbox and Super Monkey Ball being on GC, only then would you need two.
>
> Look the N64 sold more than the SNES, the Gamecube is selling more
> than the others.

What have you been on? The SNES sold 49 million units world wide. The N64 32 million. The difference in numbers is more than the amount of GC's ever sold!
Thu 22/01/04 at 10:37
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> If Nintendo went multi-format I'd have to buy 2 systems, which I don't
> want to do.

Well they could just agree to produce games for one console! Or if all their games were on both systems, I couldn't see the need for both systems!

> Look the N64 sold more than the SNES, the Gamecube is selling more
> than the others.

Well durr! But that it due to the grow of the video games market as a whole. Not just down to Nintendo!

> Nintendo had a bad first half of last year but from september onwards
> it started to pick up....
>
> This happens all the time... Nintendo lose support, shops stop
> selling their systems... then Nintendo stun us with some
> advertisement and a good line up and shops start restocking...
> developers start releasing more titles and sales rise. Then Nintendo
> do it again.

Do it again? Don't release any games and make up for that with the release of another new console with a bad release line-up?

> With casual gamer games such as MGS and really popular hardcore gamer
> games FF:CC as well as Nintendo game Pikmin 2 the first half of the
> year should attract a very large array of gamers.... and for that you
> have to think positive.

I doubt it. And classing MGS as a casual gamer game, and then saying that will win over support is a bit stupid to be honest. Casual gamers are as such because they don't really care about the console, they just go buy any old game for the console they own, ideal ones everyone says are good. They are not the types to go splash out on another new console just to play 1 game!

Thu 22/01/04 at 10:15
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> As for your idea of going to other consoles you seem to be missing a
> rather large point... Nintendo have one of the worlds most popular
> consoles, the Gameboy,

No, cos I stated around the start of my post that I wasn't gonna talk about hand-held consoles, just home consoles.

> and Nintendo have stated if they were forced
> out of the home console market they would concentrate all their
> energies on making software for the GBA and link that to the TV....

I doubt they would. The GBA has been out for years, and to be truely honest it hasn't really done much for me! Or Nintendo in a matter of fact. Being a true Nintendo fan, can you really admit that 'Nintendo' have done a good job at backing the GBA?? In the years it's been out, how many 'new' games have they actually produced for it 'themselves'! I think they've been quite shocking with the GBA and not really bothered with it. I hope this changes in the future with that new thingymobob coming out, and they actually bother to produce some new software for it!

Thu 22/01/04 at 10:12
Regular
If Nintendo went multi-format I'd have to buy 2 systems, which I don't want to do.

Look the N64 sold more than the SNES, the Gamecube is selling more than the others.

Nintendo had a bad first half of last year but from september onwards it started to pick up....

This happens all the time... Nintendo lose support, shops stop selling their systems... then Nintendo stun us with some advertisement and a good line up and shops start restocking... developers start releasing more titles and sales rise. Then Nintendo do it again.

With casual gamer games such as MGS and really popular hardcore gamer games FF:CC as well as Nintendo game Pikmin 2 the first half of the year should attract a very large array of gamers.... and for that you have to think positive.
Thu 22/01/04 at 10:06
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
How about if Nintendo just skipped the next console era!

Not release the N5, but release their games on all the other consoles!

And even, release MORE and BETTER games on all the other consoles!

Now, once a billion people have remembered how good Nintendo are again, then they can release another console the era after, when millions of fans will come swanning back to them as that will be the only way to play their unique games.

I mean, just look at something like Resident Evil. People have bought GameCubes just to play that. I know some people by GameCubes for Mario Kart/Mario/Zelda, but not enough. The reason for this? Because the N64 didn't do aswell as the PS1 which every kid on the block owned.

So, if Nintendo re-establishes itself on another platform and wins over the population again, I think they could then release another home console to quite a good success!

Thu 22/01/04 at 10:06
Regular
Cooky wrote:

>
> GameCube = Nintendo's current console
>
> Headline "Nintendo records its first ever loss in its 50 yrs in
> the business!" or something like that.
>
> :)

But that won't occur next time, not after the christmas it just had.

And it was their first loss since they started recording their proifts in the 70's.

As for your idea of going to other consoles you seem to be missing a rather large point... Nintendo have one of the worlds most popular consoles, the Gameboy, and Nintendo have stated if they were forced out of the home console market they would concentrate all their energies on making software for the GBA and link that to the TV....

So what would that mean hmmmm? It would mean Nintendo are concentrating all their efforts on one console that makes a heap of money and sells millions of titles on it just like Sony AND they get the royalties.
Thu 22/01/04 at 01:49
"I love yo... lamp."
I'm glad I'm not the only person to notice that. I was not a happy chappy when the accounts came out. But then I view my Nintendo shares like football club shares.

If it wasn't for the GBA Nintendo would be bankrupt. Fact. 70% of Nintendo's revenues come from the Gameboy.

Nintendo DO lose money on GC hardware. Fact. Also, if the Xbox didn't have a hard drive it would have a lower hardware unit cost than the GC as it uses slightly modified off the shelf components.

Nintendo going software only (at least for the home console market) would quite possible be financially a good idea. Having their own hardware means they earn royalties and don't have to pay them to other companies, but do they earn as much from that as they would selling 50 million more Mario Karts and 50 million more Zelda's and 50 million more Mario's?

Say Nintendo sell 100 million games on the PS2. At $50 a piece. Total is $5 billion. Less 10% royalties and that gives a total of $4.5 billion.
Rough figures, and rather high too. But doable. And still $300 million more than the entire sales for the 2003 financial year. Net sales that is.

Could Nintendo sell 100 million games on the PS2 though? Well there are 70 million PS2s out there, and ~11 million Xboxes. When you consider the amount of games Nintendo have developed for the GC, it is plausable. How many EA games are there on the PS2?

Of course GB revenues are approximately $2.94 billion. That would go on top of any game revenues from PS2 developing.

The only way to make a lot of money from hardware is to sell lots of it and lots of games. Nintendo are normally profitable and I expect them to return to the black this year. But they could make more money if they concentrated on the handheld market and just developed games for other home consoles.

Which is a shame when you think about it, that the management are so stubborn that they expect everyone to one day return to owning Nintendo, for them to be the market leaders again. But I don't see that happening. Sure, they likely will have a bigger market share next time around (about 12% at the moment) of the home console market, but it won't be 50%.

Also, not only is there a chance to make more money by going multi platform from just extra sales, but also the margins would likely grow as well.

But financials aside, it would let millions more people experience the wonders of Nintendo games. And that I think would be a good thing.

Damn the Nintendo management.
Thu 22/01/04 at 00:41
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
tphi wrote:
> leflus wrote:
> Sure, they had lost more money on the DC than Nintendo with the GC
>
> Nintendo aren't losing money on the Cube at all. Sega was
> hemorraghing money because the DC was a flop. Two completely
> different circumstances

GameCube = Nintendo's current console

Headline "Nintendo records its first ever loss in its 50 yrs in the business!" or something like that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.