GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should Nintendo stop producing consoles???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/01/04 at 23:35
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I've been pondering this question for a while. And I'm not talking about hand-held consoles, I still think Nintendo should keep producing them; I'm just referring to N64/GameCube etc.

The reason I say this is because how beneficial is the actual console to Nintendo. Console hardware is always sold at a loss; companies just make money off the games. Well I guess Nintendo would also make some money off licensing out the rights to produce games on its console to the few developers it has.

My point is this. What makes a Nintendo console? (Not game related; actual hardware issues) It's not really the technical brilliance of the thing! The one defining factor of a Nintendo console 'to me anyways', is the controller design! Just look at the way Nintendo are going to be tackling N5, "Graphics have reached a standstill so we are going to look to other ways to surprise the gamer... blah blah."

Fair enough Jimmy Nintendo, but you don't need to release a new console to just do that! The only point of releasing a new console is to advance the hardware, the processor power, thus the graphical output!

If you want to advance gaming by creating new and exciting peripherals, then fine go ahead, but why not release them on another platform. PS3???

For me, Nintendo are their "games" and their "controllers"! It doesn't bother me what box they connect to, as long as I can use em. So why don't Nintendo cut their losses at producing consoles 'en mass' people don't really want.

How much revenue do you think Nintendo would make if they were to release Mario Kart on PS2?? 10 billion sales? ;) Maybe!

I just think Nintendo should joint forces with the likes of Sony, and concentrate on creating some first class peripherals and some FANTASTIC games!

Well it's an idea...

:)
Fri 30/01/04 at 16:02
Regular
"100% Sonic fan"
as you seem to now allot about the gamecube and its hardware is there a battery pack for the gamecube so it can be played away from a socket?
Thu 29/01/04 at 11:33
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> Don't Nintendo own Camelot?
>
> They make Mario Tennis too.
>
> Yes Nintendo hold shares in Camelot who are a Nintendo second
> party...
>
> In other words Nintendo.

Nintendo held shares in Rare, Rare were Rare, not Nintendo. Just because they are 2nd party doesn't mean they are Nintendo. It just means Nintendo keep a close eye on their games to make sure they ain't gonna be p00p!

Thu 29/01/04 at 00:37
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Don't Nintendo own Camelot?
>
> They make Mario Tennis too.

Yes Nintendo hold shares in Camelot who are a Nintendo second party...

In other words Nintendo.
Wed 28/01/04 at 19:47
Regular
If Nintendo merged with Sony we would get the PlayBoy
Sun 25/01/04 at 12:20
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Either that or they have a very close relationship and let Camelot produce games with Nintendo's characters. ala Sega-F-Zero, Namco-StarFox

Sun 25/01/04 at 12:03
Regular
Don't Nintendo own Camelot?

They make Mario Tennis too.
Sun 25/01/04 at 12:02
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> Golden sun, Golden sun 2, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Mario
> and Luigi: Super Star Saga, Wario Ware, F Zero, Mario Kart, Advance
> Wars, Advance Wars 2,

Nintendo developed Golden Sun and Advance Wars? Didn't know that.

Quick search of the net...

Camelot Co Ltd developed Golden Sun, was just published by Nintendo. And as far as I could be bothered to delve, looks like Nintendo did do AW.

Sun 25/01/04 at 11:02
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> If Nintendo went multi-format I'd have to buy 2 systems, which I
> don't
> want to do.
>
> Why would you need to buy two systems? Only if they did a Sega and
> released games exclusive to a platform, like Jet Set Radio being Xbox
> and Super Monkey Ball being on GC, only then would you need two.

Ah but they would though, you just know it.
Sun 25/01/04 at 11:02
Regular
Socks D Snake wrote:
> I say they join with apple when they join the console market to get
> the ultimate and best online and proccesor powers.
>
> It would be awsome.

That's actually a very good idea.
Sun 25/01/04 at 11:01
Regular
Cooky wrote:

> I doubt they would. The GBA has been out for years, and to be truely
> honest it hasn't really done much for me! Or Nintendo in a matter of
> fact. Being a true Nintendo fan, can you really admit that
> 'Nintendo' have done a good job at backing the GBA?? In the years
> it's been out, how many 'new' games have they actually produced for
> it 'themselves'! I think they've been quite shocking with the GBA
> and not really bothered with it. I hope this changes in the future
> with that new thingymobob coming out, and they actually bother to
> produce some new software for it!
>
> :)

Golden sun, Golden sun 2, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga, Wario Ware, F Zero, Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Advance Wars 2, four swords, Pokemon Pinball, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Sapphire... and so forth... not many but definatly the best games on the system. They support the Gameboy more than Sony support the PS2. And Nintendo DID say they would concentrate on handheld gaming if they had to, the ex-president said they think that is what they will end up doing anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.