GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC is still slowing down after installing 300W PSU"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/08/01 at 17:25
Regular
Ok, i installed the PSU and downloaded a stak of new drivers (VIA4in1, Detonator 3 etc). But the PC is still really slow. Is this because the lack of power from my old 240W PSU did some damage to my CPU ?
Thu 16/08/01 at 17:25
Ok, i installed the PSU and downloaded a stak of new drivers (VIA4in1, Detonator 3 etc). But the PC is still really slow. Is this because the lack of power from my old 240W PSU did some damage to my CPU ?
Thu 16/08/01 at 17:31
Also, i bought 256mb of unbuffered ecc RAM and i am using it now, but in the KT7A manual it says it only takes Parity and Non-Parity RAM. Could this be slowing it down?
Please help!!
Fri 17/08/01 at 01:33
Regular
No, define slow
Fri 17/08/01 at 06:11
McNAB

Check / try the following

1. You are NOT using "RAID" or the RAID drivers / controller

2. If you have a sound card, that it is in slot 3

3. The 4in1 driver is version 4.32v

4. Video shaddow is DISABLED in the bios

5. The Nvidia driver is v12.41 (WHQL)

6. You have not chipped / cracked the CPU die when you fitted the heatsink and fan

7. Your CDrom is on the secondary IDE port

8. You are using an ATA66 IDE cable for the hard drive

9. If you have a network card try removing it.

Hope this helps!
HalT.
Fri 17/08/01 at 06:29
McNAB

Also, forgot to mention:-

1. Disable AGP 4X in the bios

2. Disable AGP Fast Write in the bios

3. Video Shaddow also known as Video Rom Bios Shaddow

HalT.
Fri 17/08/01 at 11:47
Regular
"Tag as above"
You need an AMD approved power supply. 300w normally.
Fri 17/08/01 at 13:17
Regular
That is all crap, btw, I have the Abit board, an although those things may cause a little slow down, wothout looking ta the system, you don't know what is causing it, if you do all those things, it mihgt just have the same effect as it had before. And as for not using the RAID controllers for the Hard Drive, why???
Fri 17/08/01 at 19:42
Bonus wrote:
> And as for not using the RAID controllers for the Hard Drive, why???

RAID can be tricky to set-up for optimal performance.

As for the HighPoint controller on the ABIT you can use up to 4 HDD's with the newer BIOS, But no CDRom drives. Also there is an issue with ZIP drives and LS120 Disks. For the Latest HighPoint Drivers there is an issue with the 3R Bios, which will cause lag which is most evident in the mouse stuttering.

Most "regular PC users" do not need RAID. Most individuals who set up RAID on "regular PC's" cannot afford hardware RAID and SCSI drives. So they tend to use software RAID or IDE/ATA RAID controllers, Usually built into the motherboard. They are typically setting up RAID for performance reasons, And choose RAID 0. Unfortunately, RAID 0 doesn't improve performance all that much on a "typical PC". Gamers setting up RAID 0 on "regular PC's" will notice little in the way of performance increase. Meanwhile, the RAID 0 array puts all of the user's data in jeopardy in the case of a system crash. So if you have important or sensitive data on your HDD, you may loose it.

Now the techie bit:-

The most basic RAID type is RAID 0, or striping. The main purpose of RAID 0 is to provide speed, not fault-tolerence as other RAID configurations offer. (Requiring two or more physical drives), RAID 0 works in the following manner.

RAID 0 uses an algorithm to break files into smaller files of the user defined size called the stripe size. Once a file is broken down into these stripes, each drive in the array receives one or more of these fragments. For example, if there are two drives in a RAID 0 array with a 64KB stripe size and the RAID controller gets a command to write a single 128KB file, the file is broken down into two 64KB stripes. Next, one of the two stripes is sent to disk 1 and the other to disk 2 simultaneously This completes the write process.

Naturally, this decreases the time required to write a file since more than one disk is working to store the information. In the example above the time associated with writing the 128KB file turns out to be the time required to write a single 64KB file, since this is what occurs simultaneously on both disks in the array.

The speed of reading a file back is also increased with a sufficiently large file. Let's use the 128KB file on a two disk RAID 0 array with a 64KB stripe size for example again. After the data is stored on both drives in the array, it can be read back by reading the two 64KB files from each drive at the same time. Thus, once again, the time required to read back the 128KB file is actually only the time required to read a single 64KB file.

In some situations, when a file is smaller than the stripe, the file is not broken up and instead is written to the array as is. This results in no speed improvement over a non RAID 0 setup because the drives on the array are not working together when reading or writing.

At the same time, an extremely small stripe size makes a drive do more work than it can handle and can significantly slow down RAID 0 performance as well. For example, if we had a 1KB stripe size and a 128KB file, each drive would have to be written to 64 times to store 64 different 1KB files. This creates a bottleneck as the drive attempts to read or write a large number of times for a single file.

As I mentioned before, RAID 0 has no fault tolerance, meaning that if one drive in the array fails, the whole array is shot. There is no way to rebuild or repair the information stored on a RAID 0 array. This makes a RAID 0 setup the most susceptible to failure, a fact that usually keeps users with sensitive data from choosing RAID 0 as their RAID setup.

However, RAID 0 is the fastest of all RAID setups.

HalT.
Fri 17/08/01 at 23:12
i just got 3Dmark2001, and my PC gets around 800 points, and this is seriously crap right? When u compare it to the average results from online it is miles behind, so there i have defined slow for you.
Fri 17/08/01 at 23:14
oh and by the way my motherboard is the non-RAID type so your big argument was a waste of time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.