GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"That Nintendo magic stuff...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/01/04 at 00:40
Regular
It's a strange state of affairs that Nintendo are the only company that can re-create Nintendo games.

Possibly the worlds worst opening statement but it is true, whilst playing classic gems such as Hitman 2 and err Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg it suddenly hit me (although it didn't hurt), as to why Mario Sunshine and Zelda ARE as good as their predecessors. (Just for those that spend the entire post complaing... "in my opinion" are as good as their predecssors).

Let me tell you about my game collection, yep brag brag I have 53 Gamecube games (*cough* loser *cough*) but you see 50 of them are what I like to call PLAIN games... titles that are good... have nice graphics... some have clever gameplay... some wonderfully simple gameplay... and some are crap because they don't adhere to any of those. But the top 3.... The Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United of my collection are 1: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 2: Super Mario Sunshine and 3: Mario Kart: Double Dash.

Yes this is a matter of opinion but in some dire attempt to express my point I'm going to justafy my decision. Let me guess, one of your first questions is where be Metroid Prime? And if it isn't one of your first questions then pretend it is for the sake of my argument. Metroid Prime is number 4, it is number 4 because it does have a "special feel" to it... but this is a special feel I can describe... this is fantastic because of amazing graphics, clever new gameplay ideas, brilliant handelling... wonderful engine.... it is number 4 on my list because it does EVERYTHING right and I'm not going to claim otherwise.

Hitman 2 is another game that does one hell of a lot of things right... a really good saving system and some damn smart AI... even my new pet game Billy Hatcher (which I'm enjoying now) does many many things right. But none of these 3 games or the 47 others come even close to Nintendo's main 3 titles (they are the main 3 because they all come in different coloured boxes... thusly they are more important).

Does Mario Kart have better graphics than Metroid? Not a chance. Does Mario Sunshine have a larger variety in gameplay than Billy Hatcher? Nope not really... what about Zelda, does that do everything as well as Hitman 2... no indeed it does not.

The reason why Wind Waker is better than all of the games is because of the "FEEL" an indescribable sixth sense which Nintendo only acchieve by spending such a damn long time on a game. Metroid Prime didn't get this luxery design time, neither did Wario World or the 100 other Nintendo games.... This is the Nintendo magic... that difference which is so difficult to describe. Graphics? Who needs them, Music? Whatever! Addictive gameplay from start to finish? Not 100% needed... nope Zelda rules because Zelda feels like Zelda.... Mario Kart rules because it feels like Mario Kart... Sunshine rules because it feels like Mario.

Now complaints about all these games came into play when Nintendo released them. Zelda had dull parts and felt shorter... Mario Sunshine did nothing really over Mario 64 and Mario Kart: Double Dash was just Mario Kart with some new ideas that only work as well as the gamer. But there will be no platformer from Sonic team, Ubi-Soft or any other developer that can beat Sunshine in this generation... only Mario himself can do that... because he has that Nintendo love... feel and passion throughout.

Yes Wind Waker may of done some new things that didn't always work as well as it could have done, a few ideas that didn't always pull off too well (the new control system and flying methods were great but the sailing was a tad dissapointing) but it had that same magic or feel that existed in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask that made that irrelevent... this "feel" makes any minor flaw totally insignificant... Mario Kart: Double Dash for me is the best in the series because I love the 2-character system but for those that don't you have to admit it STILL has the Mario Kart charm. Sunshine may of lacked variety, depth and contained too much collecting... but it still felt like a Mario game and had that same magic Mario feel and so therefore is still a classic.

There is Nintendo magic, a little sprinkle in every game that Nintendo make... but it is only the big titles that have the full blown magic effect... maybe it is because Miyamoto is more in control of these titles, I don't Know. I can't even describe what this extra bit is... but this is why Nintendo haven't lost it... this is why Nintendo are still the worlds greatest developer... because despite some (relativly minor) design faults in a few of their latest games... they still contain the Nintendo magic. And only when they lose that can Nintendo ever truly "lose it".

Here's to Dringo's multiple, obessive and seemingly pointless posts

Dringo - Fanboy till the end.
Thu 29/01/04 at 18:42
Regular
Have you even played it? The PC is better visually, better audio, online play, mods and a higher resolution, not to mention FPS games work perfect with mous and keyboard (of course this os personal preference). I have owned/own and completed both versions and the PC version is better, I'm not saying its hundreds times better but it is better, as is Pro Evolution 3, Deus EX, Morrowind and lots of other PC versions, purely because you can have a much higher resolution, the option to turn AA and AF on which drastically enhance the visual content, no restrictions on the number of audio channels and most of the time there is an online option as well.
Thu 29/01/04 at 22:19
Regular
Ok, well I've only had a quick bash on Halo round a friends house and read a couple of reviews (they too basically said it didn't cross over well from Xbox). So that's how I formed my opinion on it.

But for me, without multiplayer and the Dual Shock controller, Pro Evolution Soccer 3 is severely reduced in greatness. It's one of the best multiplayer games I've played, and considering the PC can't offer that, it's just immediately best on PS2.
Thu 29/01/04 at 22:23
Regular
"gsybe you!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> After recently playing and immensly enjoying Wind Waker and then going
> back to play the N64 Bonus disc I couldn't help but feel gutted. The
> Wind Waker is a HUGE improvement from my point of view, genius genius
> game.

Exactly. Playing OOT after WW was sluggish, slow, dull and very uninspiring and totally empty of the little touches. Still genius in parts, and of course worthy of perhaps more praise than any game ever for what it did and still does to an extent, and of course old as anything, but WW simply tore it to pieces, and yet gets slated.
Thu 29/01/04 at 23:40
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> You are looking back through rose tinted specs my friend, it is a
> habit we all do.

It is PARTLY that, but not just.

> The N64 was so much better than the Gamecube... when
> in fact we had just as many complaints... querys... annoyances. You
> say the games on the N64 impressed you, that is of course true but
> the thing is you've grown and changed... the Wind Waker and Mario
> Sunshine are AS good as their previous titles but as you've grown you
> don't appreciate them in the same way you used to and so therefore
> don't like them as much.

Well that's part of the point.
With Windwaker and Sunshine it was been there, done that.
Only the N64 titles lasted longer.

They did seem watered down and incomplete.
When you consider that Nintendo pulled off Mario 64 as their first full 3D job, it shows that they didn't even put a fraction of the effort into the sleeker, but smaller Sunshine.

> In reality they played just as well as they always have done...

I know. But for the first time the games didn't blow away their predecessors.
Windwaker did the job in the controls departments.

The thing is, the gameplay was the only thing that got an up-haul.
The rest was barely up to OOT's standard, let alone beyond it.

Nes to Snes to N64...
Each step would break new, unimaginable ground.
Nintendo just haven't pulled it off this generation (although I've not played Prime so I'll assume that as a "possibily").

Sunshine, Pikmin, Windwaker, they all showed potential as groundbreakers in the pure, raw, gameplay form, but Nintendo made demo's rather than games.

That was fine by you, but that's why so many people just weren't over-awed by Nintendo's efforts this time round.

The only games that have given me more than 25 hours worth of Gameplay are the multiplayer ones. And I spent more time trying to get Rogue Leader's Platinum medals than I did finishing Mario, Pikmin and Zelda.

> Wind
> Waker was a beautiful game filled with fantastically clever and
> comical mini games... a little lacking in the story but besides that
> Zelda at its finest.

It had a few mini-games, but nothing THAT much better than we'd seen in OOT. And the whole land was less lifeless and characterised than Hyrule, and with Zelda supposing to be one of Nintendo's BIG hitters...

> Mario Sunshine lacked variety but had a new
> Mario feel to it despite feeling like Mario.

Yeah. But it was a lightweight title.
Some levels were pure genius, and made a neat little spin-off game, but it had been hyped as the NEXT BIG Mario, the successor to Mario 64.

> From your P.O.V Nintendo
> no longer rule as much as they used to...

Yep.

> but really mate they do
> rule as much as they used to...

No they don't.
When they ruled, they ruled.
Games they released would change the face of the entire industry, they were ALWAYS one step ahead of everyone and despite being anti-fashion with their cute cartoony characters, their games were some of the best loved around, even by the demographic that were supposed to hate them.

The last game where they blew away fellow devellopers was Pikmin.
Which was amazing, only they didn't make much of a game of it - it remained a demo.

>just looking back is always a stupid
> thing to do.

Well yes and no.
Wishing Nintendo remained the Nintendo of old is a silly thing to do because it's not going to happen. They actively chose to ditch the biggies because they needed to economise on their devellopment times in order to survive in the modern industry.

But back then, their only limit was the technology they were using.
We always wondered what they'd achieve with the next generation of consoles.

Now they are their own limit, and we don't really care about more power, because they haven't found good use for the full power of the Gamecube yet.
Fri 30/01/04 at 00:34
Regular
Sunshine and WW are massive games... as is the upcoming Pikmin...

I think it's a case of revolution over evolution... Nintendo have tried... and it shows... to make their Gamecube more of an evolution than Sony's PS2...

Nintendo needed to make the Gamecube reasonable... these games are different enough to warrent a new purchase. Wind Waker in my eyes is far better than OCarina even when I played it I found it better... no it didn't blow us away and it doesn't feel ALL that new... but it still proved to me Nintendo REALLY do still have it and they REALLY can show it.

Sunshine seemed to me a little strange game, I loved it just as I love all Mario games but it did feel different. But Nintendo felt they had to make it feel different... same with Double Dash.

I'm not gonna lie to you... Sunshine is in my eyes better than Mario 64 but I do think Super Mario World is the king of the Mario throne. Wind Waker felt a tad unfinished... as if, if it was delayed it would feel complete... I hope the sequel rectify's that but it still felt great and I REALLY do think Wind Waker is the king of the Zelda throne, the boating, flying, combat system, graphics... all surpass the previous games and we criticise the story but lets be honest... at least it makes sense of it all.

As for Double Dash well it goes to opinion here... I find Super Mario Kart unplayable in comparison to DD... the best in the series without a doubt.
Fri 30/01/04 at 17:18
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Exactly. Playing OOT after WW was sluggish, slow, dull and very
> uninspiring and totally empty of the little touches. Still genius in
> parts, and of course worthy of perhaps more praise than any game ever
> for what it did and still does to an extent, and of course old as
> anything, but WW simply tore it to pieces, and yet gets slated.

That's not fact though. That's merely your opinion.

It gets slated because most people think Ocarina of Time was better.
Fri 30/01/04 at 23:47
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Sunshine and WW are massive games... as is the upcoming Pikmin...
>
> I think it's a case of revolution over evolution... Nintendo have
> tried... and it shows... to make their Gamecube more of an evolution
> than Sony's PS2...

What are you on about?

Change the world by making shorter games?

Granted, not EVERY game should be an epic masterpiece, but when their traditionally epic big hitters come out lightweight, that's a disappointment?

> Nintendo needed to make the Gamecube reasonable... these games are
> different enough to warrent a new purchase.

Actually, I felt really ripped off with Mario Kart, and I'm certainly not eager to get the next Mario or Zelda, not until they're cheap or second hand.

> Wind Waker in my eyes is
> far better than OCarina even when I played it I found it better... no
> it didn't blow us away and it doesn't feel ALL that new... but it
> still proved to me Nintendo REALLY do still have it and they REALLY
> can show it.

Back when they DID have it, they DID blow you away.
It had more fluid controls, smoother graphics and the rest was sub-OOT.
They've not completely lost it, because you got the odd touch of magic, but...

> Sunshine seemed to me a little strange game, I loved it just as I
> love all Mario games but it did feel different. But Nintendo felt
> they had to make it feel different... same with Double Dash.

Yeah. Making it different wasn't so bad.
I sort of liked the Fludd, only they watered down the rest of the game too.
They improved over Mario 64 in the level design, graphics, and controls

> I'm not gonna lie to you... Sunshine is in my eyes better than Mario
> 64 but I do think Super Mario World is the king of the Mario throne.

Yeah. As great as Mario 64 was, Mario World was the pinnacle of the series.
64 was a lightweight in terms of length and design compared to it's Snes predecessor, but I let that go because it was the first time Nintendo had done a 3D game, and 3D levels were infinately more complex than 2D ones.

No one was ever going to master 3D gameplay on their first go, and Nintendo pulled wonders considering.

And then Sunshine, despite just being Mario 64+ with greased wheels and a lick of new paint, ended up being even smaller...

> Wind Waker felt a tad unfinished... as if, if it was delayed it would
> feel complete... I hope the sequel rectify's that but it still felt
> great and I REALLY do think Wind Waker is the king of the Zelda
> throne, the boating, flying, combat system, graphics... all surpass
> the previous games

The basic controls were better, yes.
But that was wasted because the game's levels didn't do enough with them.

> and we criticise the story but lets be honest...
> at least it makes sense of it all.

Not even that...
What happened to Saria?
I can understand the Goron's being destroyed by the water, but the Zora?

> As for Double Dash well it goes to opinion here... I find Super Mario
> Kart unplayable in comparison to DD... the best in the series without
> a doubt.

Well yeah.

But it did nothing I'd not seen before.
One pleasant surprise - the 2 man kart.
After that it was same old, same old.
The same old I'd spent a year on on the N64.

I found this in most of my games to a small extent - Timesplitters, Smash Brothers, Zelda, Mario, but they added enough to make it really fresh.
It was REALLY obvious in Double Dash that I'd spent £30 for a game I'd already played to death.
Sat 31/01/04 at 12:07
Regular
Strafio wrote:

> Change the world by making shorter games?

But they were still pretty big, particulary Zelda.

> Granted, not EVERY game should be an epic masterpiece, but when their
> traditionally epic big hitters come out lightweight, that's a
> disappointment?

Lightweight? Are you sure?

>
> Wind Waker in my eyes is
> far better than OCarina even when I played it I found it better...
> no
> it didn't blow us away and it doesn't feel ALL that new... but it
> still proved to me Nintendo REALLY do still have it and they REALLY
> can show it.

~Well it blew me away... it was far better than I was expecting... zelda always manages that.

> And then Sunshine, despite just being Mario 64+ with greased wheels
> and a lick of new paint, ended up being even smaller...

Ah but I completed Mario 64 quicker than Sunshine... although in Sunshine I got all the shines and didn't get all the stars in 64.

> The basic controls were better, yes.
> But that was wasted because the game's levels didn't do enough with
> them.

Do you think? I found Wind Waker a place filled with classic Nintendo moments... Getting into the Dragon roost Island temple... waking up the Deku Tree, Visiting the ancient world of Hyrule... scaling the forsaken fortress.

> Not even that...
> What happened to Saria?
> I can understand the Goron's being destroyed by the water, but the
> Zora?

Well I saw a Zora... and 3 Goron's. The Kakiri or however you spell it have evolved into the Koroks, proven by the fact the Deku Tree still looks after them. The Gorons and Zora's just died out... Goron's are now left as travelling salesmen, a small variety of people that probably exist in another land that Link and Zelda are currently perparing to visit. The Zora's and Kokiri are preserved by the fact they are sages hence the 2 sages. These are sages of temples we never saw in OOT.... these legendary sages are elsewhere and preserved as stain glass windows in the underwater world of Hyrule... another classic gaming moment.

Double Dash was amazing, best Mario Kart yet... at least Nintendo tried to freshen it up with a stratagey element... they just pulled it off so well the game didn't really feel different.
Sat 31/01/04 at 13:31
"period drama"
I don't really like to say it - but I'll have to agree with everything Dringo says.
It seems to me that even multi-platform titles become better on the GC - even though they're exactly the same as on the other platforms

Well, that's what I think.
And my PS2 is quickly becoming redundant.
Sat 31/01/04 at 14:02
"I love yo... lamp."
That seems almost blind fanboyism to me. In general multi format games are better on the Gamecube than the PS2, but the best version are normally the Xbox ones. Better graphics, better sound and no footering around with memory cards. Not to mention occasional downloadable content.

My anti memory card nerve has been touched by having discovered an N64 one has died on me, losing me 50 odd games from my NHL season.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.