GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"That Nintendo magic stuff...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/01/04 at 00:40
Regular
It's a strange state of affairs that Nintendo are the only company that can re-create Nintendo games.

Possibly the worlds worst opening statement but it is true, whilst playing classic gems such as Hitman 2 and err Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg it suddenly hit me (although it didn't hurt), as to why Mario Sunshine and Zelda ARE as good as their predecessors. (Just for those that spend the entire post complaing... "in my opinion" are as good as their predecssors).

Let me tell you about my game collection, yep brag brag I have 53 Gamecube games (*cough* loser *cough*) but you see 50 of them are what I like to call PLAIN games... titles that are good... have nice graphics... some have clever gameplay... some wonderfully simple gameplay... and some are crap because they don't adhere to any of those. But the top 3.... The Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United of my collection are 1: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 2: Super Mario Sunshine and 3: Mario Kart: Double Dash.

Yes this is a matter of opinion but in some dire attempt to express my point I'm going to justafy my decision. Let me guess, one of your first questions is where be Metroid Prime? And if it isn't one of your first questions then pretend it is for the sake of my argument. Metroid Prime is number 4, it is number 4 because it does have a "special feel" to it... but this is a special feel I can describe... this is fantastic because of amazing graphics, clever new gameplay ideas, brilliant handelling... wonderful engine.... it is number 4 on my list because it does EVERYTHING right and I'm not going to claim otherwise.

Hitman 2 is another game that does one hell of a lot of things right... a really good saving system and some damn smart AI... even my new pet game Billy Hatcher (which I'm enjoying now) does many many things right. But none of these 3 games or the 47 others come even close to Nintendo's main 3 titles (they are the main 3 because they all come in different coloured boxes... thusly they are more important).

Does Mario Kart have better graphics than Metroid? Not a chance. Does Mario Sunshine have a larger variety in gameplay than Billy Hatcher? Nope not really... what about Zelda, does that do everything as well as Hitman 2... no indeed it does not.

The reason why Wind Waker is better than all of the games is because of the "FEEL" an indescribable sixth sense which Nintendo only acchieve by spending such a damn long time on a game. Metroid Prime didn't get this luxery design time, neither did Wario World or the 100 other Nintendo games.... This is the Nintendo magic... that difference which is so difficult to describe. Graphics? Who needs them, Music? Whatever! Addictive gameplay from start to finish? Not 100% needed... nope Zelda rules because Zelda feels like Zelda.... Mario Kart rules because it feels like Mario Kart... Sunshine rules because it feels like Mario.

Now complaints about all these games came into play when Nintendo released them. Zelda had dull parts and felt shorter... Mario Sunshine did nothing really over Mario 64 and Mario Kart: Double Dash was just Mario Kart with some new ideas that only work as well as the gamer. But there will be no platformer from Sonic team, Ubi-Soft or any other developer that can beat Sunshine in this generation... only Mario himself can do that... because he has that Nintendo love... feel and passion throughout.

Yes Wind Waker may of done some new things that didn't always work as well as it could have done, a few ideas that didn't always pull off too well (the new control system and flying methods were great but the sailing was a tad dissapointing) but it had that same magic or feel that existed in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask that made that irrelevent... this "feel" makes any minor flaw totally insignificant... Mario Kart: Double Dash for me is the best in the series because I love the 2-character system but for those that don't you have to admit it STILL has the Mario Kart charm. Sunshine may of lacked variety, depth and contained too much collecting... but it still felt like a Mario game and had that same magic Mario feel and so therefore is still a classic.

There is Nintendo magic, a little sprinkle in every game that Nintendo make... but it is only the big titles that have the full blown magic effect... maybe it is because Miyamoto is more in control of these titles, I don't Know. I can't even describe what this extra bit is... but this is why Nintendo haven't lost it... this is why Nintendo are still the worlds greatest developer... because despite some (relativly minor) design faults in a few of their latest games... they still contain the Nintendo magic. And only when they lose that can Nintendo ever truly "lose it".

Here's to Dringo's multiple, obessive and seemingly pointless posts

Dringo - Fanboy till the end.
Sun 01/02/04 at 19:19
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> Just bad ports my guess.

Nah, bad discs.

Nothing wrong with the Cube's design at all.
Sun 01/02/04 at 19:31
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> And Strafio the press approved of Sunshine, Wind Waker, Prime and
> Mario Kart.... the majority rating them very highly.

But the ALL the reviews I said that despite them being great (which they were), they were still a far cry from Nintendo's earlier days.
Great, but not mind blowing, and I think a fair disappointment to a few, especially Zelda.
Sun 01/02/04 at 19:32
Regular
I'm an idiot...

I said I'd leave it and I went and posted! :-S

Never mind.

By the by Mavio, if we're so wrong, then how about you tell us what's right! :-P
Sun 01/02/04 at 20:00
Regular
He just stated the obvious...

I'm the extreme... I'm saying the latest Nintendo games are fantastic in every way.

You're saying their all dissapointing a shadow of their former self?

In reality? The games are all fantastic, just as good as before. But due to the fact nothing has changed much between generations Nintendo have tried to inject new life into both games with new ideas that haven't always worked and reduced delays... which means the games are less complete.

But all in all they are just as fun... their maybe a problem or too... but nothing you can't overlook.
Sun 01/02/04 at 20:04
Regular
*There

Did you notice Mario Sunshine was trying to be a different Mario game....

Did you notice how hard Nintendo tried to make Double Dash!! different but still similar?

Did you notice how Wind Waker, unlike past Zelda's, didn't get any delays?

The next Zelda game will be the kind of all Zelda titles because the new engine for both graphics and combat is already in place. Mario Sunshine was a different Mario title, it lacked the iconography and mis en scene of previous Mario games thusly seen as a dissapointment...

Double Dash seems to be a matter of opinion.

Zelda and Mario are fun... Zelda did have some classic gaming moments... it's just Nintendo didn't pad out the story too well... lacked a certain level of depth. The games were as fun, no, more fun than their predecessors... what you seem to be complaining about is the fact they felt different. They still reeked magic, the Nintendo fun factor... but not every aspect was as perfect as the past...

And that's easily because we all moaned that Nintendo kept delaying games.

Bless them we can't win.
Sun 01/02/04 at 20:05
Regular
*Bless them they can't win
Sun 01/02/04 at 20:08
Regular
Double Dash for me is better than Mario Kart 64 and equally as fun as the original. Really couldn't see where the critisms were coming from, there isn't anything you can do to a racing game to revolutionise it, instead they opted for a clever double character system which is all they could do to add something new. The track design was still excellent and the Nintendo magic was still there.

Don't really know what people expected.
Sun 01/02/04 at 20:13
Regular
The majority find the latest MK:DD fantastic, you get the odd one or two who don't like it like Maverick and Stafio but most critics, gamers etc... agree the new Mario Kart is the defining moment in the series.
Sun 01/02/04 at 20:17
Regular
"Plate of glue"
For some reason, when I got Double Dash, I thought it wasn't as good as Crash Team Racing on the PSone.

How wrong I was.
Sun 01/02/04 at 20:21
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Double Dash has short term appeal - I wanted a mass of unlockables, unlockables as far as the eye could see, and much more multiplayer options...

How wrong was I.

Don't get me wrong, i thought the game was awwesome, easliy part oif the Gamecube Elite, but it wasn't the hardcore, time trial beating fun I thought it's be.

Super Circuit was better for time trials...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.