GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It might be wise to pre-order your PS3 now..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/02/04 at 19:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Sony have announced they're stepping up the Cell chip production to start in EARLY 2005, as opposed to middle or late 2005.

Worldwide production of the Cell chip is estimated to be at 15,000 units a month. Which would mean that even if every Cell chip is put into a PS3, by the end of 2006 they'd still only be able to manufacture 360,000 of them.

There are 5 million PS2 owners in the UK, over 60 million PS2 owners worldwide. If you want a PS3? Join the queue.
Tue 03/02/04 at 19:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Sony have announced they're stepping up the Cell chip production to start in EARLY 2005, as opposed to middle or late 2005.

Worldwide production of the Cell chip is estimated to be at 15,000 units a month. Which would mean that even if every Cell chip is put into a PS3, by the end of 2006 they'd still only be able to manufacture 360,000 of them.

There are 5 million PS2 owners in the UK, over 60 million PS2 owners worldwide. If you want a PS3? Join the queue.
Tue 03/02/04 at 19:47
"period drama"
Wow, that's pretty sucky.
Better be worth it.
Tue 03/02/04 at 19:49
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
That's rather frightening!
Tue 03/02/04 at 21:11
Regular
Do you really think that Sony will produce such a small amount of units?
They have sold 80 million ps1 units and 60 million ps2 units.
You can bet on that they will produce enough consoles for the launch, since the demand will probably be high.
I will wait a few months after the release before I buy it anyway.
Tue 03/02/04 at 22:36
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Where did you get this information from FM?
Tue 03/02/04 at 23:18
Regular
I would guess that those figures are correct as early estimates, but it wouldn't surprise me if manufacturing methods become rapidly more efficient as time went on. Not only will things become cheaper, but probably quicker too as PS3 production becomes a finely tuned process. So FM is right, early on there could be big queues and not many machines, but surely later on, PS3s will have the same kind of shelf domination that PS2 does.
Wed 04/02/04 at 07:35
Regular
I'm sorted. My local Gamestation will take a preorder from me whenever I like and still guarantee me a console at launch.

I still reckon Sony wonn't be able to match demand for the unit, even if they increase production rates.

I preorder anyway. All my past consoles have been preordered, except for the Xbox, which I just walked into the store on launch day and picked one up.

I should probably start saving now, I rekcon. If all the new machines are planning for same/similar launch dates, I'm going to be spending quite a lot of money!
Wed 04/02/04 at 08:31
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Odds are about 200 000 of those go to Japan... No retailer I know of is taking preorders yet and unless there are some killer titles at launch I'll just wait a while.
Wed 04/02/04 at 08:33
Regular
"Monochromatic"
are you seriously trying to tell us they are only making 500 a day WORLDWIDE,i have my doubts over those figures.
Wed 04/02/04 at 08:35
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I'll wait for a couple of years again. I'm in no rush to own the new console until a time when they release a Final Fantasy for it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.