GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When gaming goes too far.........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/08/01 at 11:33
Regular
Is it possible for games to go to far? Will there be a point when the games that we play are so realistic that they are too much like real life?

Take for example a a horror game. As the graphics we see on our consoles evolve further, the graphics will presumably bet more life like. If thats the case then the games that try to scare you won't have to try as hard. The gore/violence will be so realistic and gruesome that many people will not be able to play them, because they truely are scared.

Another example would be a first person shooter. Its one thing running around with a gun shooting someone that looks vaguely real, but when it gets to the point that the person you are shooting is so realistic that you feel bad is that too far? As the FPS genre evolves the death scenes are going to get more horrific, realistic and believable. Shooting them will make them react in the same way as you would in real life.

Another good point is that once the graphics get so real that the are hard to distinguish, from them and real life, will the games be boring, because there isn't that element of a game in them. Running around environments like we do everyday may seem fun for a while, but sooner or later someone is going to want to go and run around a dungeon and slay a dragon with a sword.

The only way that the developers can stop this happening is by making sure that while we have some games with really good and realistic graphics, we also need to have some games with Mario like graphics, to keep the games we play fun and appeal to audiences of all ages.

Hope you enjoyed reading that, seeing the high quality of the posting around here gave me the needed burst to do it.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:19
Regular
Tarrant, here's some of my guesses about the book:

Cara and the messanger geezer get it together.

Nicci finds Richard, but can't kill him as she realises if she does Jagang will be in here mind again.

The Prelate (anna) escapes and meets up with Zedd, OR Zedd goes and saves her.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:21
Hahaaaaaaaa, I feel powerful in my knowledge!!! :-)

But you'll have to wait and see.

You're making me want to sack off the big sleep and get back to it!

:-)
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:23
Regular
You git! I can't believe you didn't tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Having said that, it will spoil it if I know before hand, so it's better if yo udon't say anything.

The only problem I have with TG's books is that they are so good and I want to find out what happens next, so I read really quickly and end up missing bits.

:-(
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:25
Regular
"<];o)"
Hmmm this book sounds quite interesting, but does anyone have any comments on my topic?
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:25
I did that with Stone of Tears!
Had to re read it in the end :-( :-)

When's the next one scheduled for release?
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:27
Regular
"not dead"
Realistic graphics need not mean realistic gaming though.

You could design a perfect replica of my home, my street, my village, and if I could only wander around it it, put the bins out, go to the shop, then yes, it would get boring.

But if a game was set in this area? Say aliens had landed, or something (in the game) and you had to defeat them, I don't think you would be put off my the real world environment.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:28
Regular
Tarrant, the Pillars of Creation is due out in hardback on the 6th of december this year, in trade paperback on 20th June next year and in normal paperback on 5th december next year.

Looks like I have ages to wait to get the normal paperback :-(

However, Debt of Bones is out sometime this autumn I think, possibly early October, but I'm not 100% on that.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:29
St*rsailor wrote:
> Hmmm this book sounds quite interesting, but does anyone have any
> comments on my topic?

Yeah, yeah.

Erm... as long as there is kiddy interest in the games world, cartoony graphics will never die.

The current trend is to make things look real, because the hardware is now good enough to do it. It will die down eventually and more of the focus will return to gameplay and outlandish graphics!

Big up Jeff Minter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:30
Regular
"<];o)"
Good point Meka, but I think some of us may want to be able to have a totally new gaming environment, not just a realistic one like the one we live in and experience every day.

I get what you mean by the ways that it could be mad fun though, about the aliens landing. Adds some life to a broing experience.

What they could do was have a game such as Shenmue, but make the begginning really boring. They could then reward the people who bought it and throw in a really good twist and make the game really exciting with you never knowing what was going to happen next.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:32
Your Honour wrote:
> Tarrant, the Pillars of Creation is due out in hardback on the 6th
> of december this year, in trade paperback on 20th June next year and
> in normal paperback on 5th december next year.

Looks like I have
> ages to wait to get the normal paperback :-(

However, Debt of
> Bones is out sometime this autumn I think, possibly early October,
> but I'm not 100% on that.

Woohooo.

If I where you I'd buy the hardback this year!!!!
But then I've never been the patient sort.

I'm glad debt of bones is here soon though. Since I have re established my interest in reading (thanks to you and Esme) I seem to be getting through books quite fast and am hungry for more!!!!!!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.