GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When gaming goes too far.........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/08/01 at 11:33
Regular
Is it possible for games to go to far? Will there be a point when the games that we play are so realistic that they are too much like real life?

Take for example a a horror game. As the graphics we see on our consoles evolve further, the graphics will presumably bet more life like. If thats the case then the games that try to scare you won't have to try as hard. The gore/violence will be so realistic and gruesome that many people will not be able to play them, because they truely are scared.

Another example would be a first person shooter. Its one thing running around with a gun shooting someone that looks vaguely real, but when it gets to the point that the person you are shooting is so realistic that you feel bad is that too far? As the FPS genre evolves the death scenes are going to get more horrific, realistic and believable. Shooting them will make them react in the same way as you would in real life.

Another good point is that once the graphics get so real that the are hard to distinguish, from them and real life, will the games be boring, because there isn't that element of a game in them. Running around environments like we do everyday may seem fun for a while, but sooner or later someone is going to want to go and run around a dungeon and slay a dragon with a sword.

The only way that the developers can stop this happening is by making sure that while we have some games with really good and realistic graphics, we also need to have some games with Mario like graphics, to keep the games we play fun and appeal to audiences of all ages.

Hope you enjoyed reading that, seeing the high quality of the posting around here gave me the needed burst to do it.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:01
St*rsailor wrote:
> Hmmm thanks thanks for that mate. When will my name be changed to
> whatever colour it goes next? Do I need to make a certain number of
> posts or something? If I do, don't worry, I won't spam.

Ok St*rsailor, who did you used to be?

Don't think I'm not on to you!!!
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:03
Regular
I am the Tarrant wrote:
Ok St*rsailor, who did you used to
> be?

Don't think I'm not on to you!!!

Possibly Quiksilver? He was banned today.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:05
BLING BLING BLING

YH and Tarrant investigations strike again!!!!!!!!
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:05
I am the Tarrant wrote:
> be?

I think he's you Tarrant, I think you are typing to yourself!
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:06
cooldogs wrote:
> I am the Tarrant wrote:
>
> be?

I think he's you Tarrant, I think you are typing to
> yourself!

I think a quick glance at the tag lines will prove you wrong!!!

:-)
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:07
Regular
I am the Tarrant wrote:
> BLING BLING BLING

YH and Tarrant investigations strike
> again!!!!!!!!

Yep. You be Holmes, I'll be Sherlock. The elite crime busting team.

We're so good, we've never met! Fantastic!

I'm reading FotF mate, got to the bit where Zedd turns up with General Reibisch (sp?) and tells them they're all going to die.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:08
Regular
"<];o)"
What are you lot on about??? I only just found thi site today. My friend told me about it.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:08
I am the Tarrant wrote:

I think a quick glance
> at the tag lines will prove you wrong!!!

:-)

How do you get that, they are different accounts and therefore have different taglines!
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:09
St*rsailor wrote:
> What are you lot on about??? I only just found thi site today. My
> friend told me about it.

We're teasing, dont worry, you'll get used ot it!
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:09
Oh it all gets good sooon!!!!!!!

Not that its bad up to then of course!

How're you finding it?

I'm half way throuh the big sleep, then I'll finish FoTF!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.