GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's War"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/02/04 at 11:35
Regular
Nintendo are not the company that runs risks, this is why they have outlasted so many of their competitors. They are weary of losing money in Online gaming, they're nervous of the amount of money they can lose with mass advertisement and so their main new gameplay ideas such as the GBA-GC connection are on a small scale. But it is these lack of risks that created the Playstation, these lack of risks that mean year in year out Nintendo's sales are slowly depleating...

And so once again, much like this time last generation, we rely on Nintendo kicking butt with their next generation of systems. Why do "we" rely on this? Because dammit I WANT to play Driv3r, I WANT to play Hitman 3 and I WANT to play Grand Theft Auto... I don't care if they look crap (I know Hitman certainly doesn't) but if Nintendo want a cut of these system sellers they NEED to get a larger share of the market. And Nintendo aren't pretending otherwise.

The Gamecube 2, N5 or Dr. Doolittle's house of fun... whatever you want to call it WILL have specifications to match their rivals. Ignore Iwati going on about "no need for good graphics" they did that last time to some effect and Nintendo know the importance of multi-format titles. Hopefully Nintendo can continue their good ties with Capcom, EA, Namco and SEGA into the next generation because that will be damn useful. What games we are to recieve is up for speculation... Smash Brothers and Mario Kart seem a certainty as does a Mario game, whether this is the much touted Mario 128 or not is to be seen. Regardless we won't know anything until E3 2005 and so we will just have to wait and see.

Regarding The Gameboy next/extreme/advance 2/Dr. Doolittle house of fun... we can make a few more educated guesses about. The system will be released late in comparison to the PSP, it doesn't mean Nintendo are giving Sony a head start. The price of the PSP will mean the Gameboy Advance SP... coupled with a nice price cut will still enjoy the exact same success as before. Also Nintendo plan to steal alot of Sony's thunder with the DS... Sony going up against 2 Nintendo handhelds is very risky especially as both will undercut the price greatly. The IQue also gives a hint to what we can expect from the next Gameboy, the IQue has the power to play Nintendo 64 games and is the approximate size of an N64 controller, slap on a screen and you have a N64 handheld... easy. With the fast pacing improvements in technology we can expect a higher specifications system than THAT! What does this mean? Well it means yet ANOTHER re-release (Ocarina of Time was released 3 times last year!) of Ocarina of Time, we'll see the long lost Mario 64 on a handheld console and... as RARE are an official Gameboy developer we can expect Perfect Dark, Banjo and maybe even that PROPER re-make of Goldeneye we want to badly.

But these are systems for the back end of 2005/2006 or even 2007. Nintendo's big issue, their big hitter comes in the form of a third piller... the Nintendo DS. Criticised to start with but the public (62.2% in Japan anyway) are starting to come round, developers are getting very excited about it (93.3% of Japanese ones) and retailers are getting ready for it (64.4% Japanese ones at the moment). The Nintendo DS is a dual screen handheld system, conviently released around the same time as the PSP and plans to offer things not seen in the Gaming industry ever before. Dual Screen was done during the Game and Watch era to a slightly reductive affair but with different memory storage, new types of games, the possibilty of touch screen and wireless technology we can assume that Nintendo are pulling out all the stops hardware wise.

Despite how damn cool the entire idea sounds it is the developers that are truly excited. SEGA have recently declared their interest with Sonic Team's Yuji Naka saying:

"We've been waiting for this! We'll be sure to try out something new with this, and release something for the launch!"

Other developers have reported to say things such as "The roots of gaming are returning and it looks like they will put up a good fight", "It should allow the birth of a whole host of new ideas and play experiences that haven't existed before.", "Having two separately functioning screens suits the time perfectly - with users becoming increasingly multi-tasking." and Nintendo's own Camelot had this to say:

"In a game industry that is feeling more and more penned in, this should create a few openings."

Despite negative reports from the general public moaning about lack of concentration of next gen systems or new software for these systems, the gaming world is getting ready for it... in fantastic anticipation. Developers are all discussing the possibilities of this new handheld, such as Koei who stated:

"I think we can make an interesting game with one screen for the large-scale battle with the other screen focusing on a local battle, in historical strategy games, and so on."

Amusement Vision read the specifications of the system and turned their "?" into a "!" (their words not mine). To me Nintendo's last fight no longer seems like a doomed idea, but instead the birth of probably the biggest change in gaming since the onset of 3D gaming.

Nintendo have run their biggest risk in a very long time...

Are you excited yet?

Dringo.
Wed 18/02/04 at 23:31
Regular
Cooky wrote:

>
> I'm sure they were around the same price when they came out, if not
> the PS1 being more expensive! I seem to remember the N64 dropping in
> price also by about £100 after a month!

PSX was a cheaper console throughout with cheaper and bigger games.

> C: The PSX had lower specs also do note.
>
> So! My GOD! Woop-di-do it had lower specs! Did that stop it from
> doing FAAAAAAAAR better than the N64!?! NO!

That my point... the GBA SP has lower specs... it doesn't mean the PSP will outsell it.

>
> D: The PSX had a far larger third party fan base
>
> And why was that now...?
>
> Oh yes, Nintendo charge people helluva lot more than other console
> manufactures for people to develop games for their system! And is
> that likely to change anytime soon...

It has changed... games are very cheap to manufacture.

> E: None of the above apply to the PSP.
>
> Riiiight. So you expect Sony to launch a console, which is cheaper
> than a rival console which has been out for YEARS! And with a lower
> spec that the GameBoy!?!
>
> Yes, that applies to the PSP...

You are totally missing my point.

Sony openly admit that the PSP will not attract the same market as the Gameboy.

The Gameboy sells an awful lot to girls and children... the PSP does not attract any of these... the PSP is being touted as a system that does plays music, videos and games and this comes at a price whilst the Gameboy continues it's idea of being a games machine.

You'll be surprised at the amount of systems out there that play games, music, allows you to go online, take photos etc.... in fact their most popular forms are mobile phones and none of these slightly dent the Gameboy's fan base despite the fact they all share a relative level of success.

The PSP is being released between £200 - £300... it plays games, movies and music... it works as a complicated but smart gadget...

It is a very different item indeed, I mean I find £90 way to expensive for a handheld device no matter how cool it is let alone £200!

The PSP is going against a jugganaught... Nintendo are not letting this slip Iwati comically said at last years E3 "It was nice of Sony to let us know so much in advance, we've learnt from our mistakes this won't happen again". The Gameboy Advance last year was the biggest selling games system... not the Playstation... the Gameboy... The Gameboy really does sell to EVERYONE especially with the adult looking SP helping the mature gamers... at one point more girls owned GBA's than boys!

Nintendo need to be watchful but it isn't Nintendo who should be scared, it is Sony. No matter how much pull power you have, no matter how much money you have... If you go up against the biggest selling system of all time that released a "re-make" of a game in Japan a few weeks ago that sold half a million in 2 days and a full million in a week...

In Japan alone.

Pokemon my friend, Pokemon.
Wed 18/02/04 at 23:20
Regular
Cooky wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Acording to Yamauchi there is a very large advertisement campaign
> planned for it.
>
> Yer, but they've said that about everything they've released. And
> anyways, ain't he retired!?!
>
> :)

No he isn't his the Nintendo chief advisor but you knew that.
Wed 18/02/04 at 20:28
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Heh, I remember the huuuge advertising campaign promised for Mario Kart.. that never happend.
The most Nintendo stretch to these days is a ad in NGC or something - seen by people who will most likely go out and buy the game anyway. Hopeless.
Wed 18/02/04 at 17:12
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> planned for it.

Yer, but they've said that about everything they've released. And anyways, ain't he retired!?!

:)
Wed 18/02/04 at 17:08
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> A: I am not blind to the threat of the PSP i just see it as a lesser
> threat than you lot seem to.
>
> B: The PSX was cheaper than the N64

I'm sure they were around the same price when they came out, if not the PS1 being more expensive! I seem to remember the N64 dropping in price also by about £100 after a month!

> C: The PSX had lower specs also do note.

So! My GOD! Woop-di-do it had lower specs! Did that stop it from doing FAAAAAAAAR better than the N64!?! NO!

> D: The PSX had a far larger third party fan base

And why was that now...?

Oh yes, Nintendo charge people helluva lot more than other console manufactures for people to develop games for their system! And is that likely to change anytime soon...

> E: None of the above apply to the PSP.

Riiiight. So you expect Sony to launch a console, which is cheaper than a rival console which has been out for YEARS! And with a lower spec that the GameBoy!?!

Yes, that applies to the PSP...

:S
Wed 18/02/04 at 16:59
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> planned for it.

Really?

Oh right, just like all the Gamecube games that had large advertisement campaigns that no-one ever saw.
Wed 18/02/04 at 16:50
Regular
Cooky wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Nintendo will also be marketing it differently...
>
> I think you'll be surprised...
>
> Quote from original post :-
> "
> They are weary of losing money in Online gaming, they're nervous of
> the amount of money they can lose with mass advertisement and
> "
>
> So how are they going to market this differently? By actually
> advertising? Narr, that would be a wise decision by Nintendo!
>
> :)

Acording to Yamauchi there is a very large advertisement campaign planned for it.
Wed 18/02/04 at 16:49
Regular
Cooky wrote:
>
> Think back to the 16bit era. You had the Mega Drive and the SNES.
> Ninendo and Sega were the biggest console developers out. They had
> the whole fan base!
>
> Go to the next advance in console gaming 32/64bit era. Sony come
> along with the Playstation, and it becomes the most popular console
> by MILLIONS of sales.
>
> So...
>
> Your still telling me, that just because Nintendo has some 'dated'
> hardware on the market, and is about to release a 'unique' console
> (which probably won't appeal to everyone), that Sony's PSP is going
> to do really badly? Now that doesn't sound like commen sence to me!

A: I am not blind to the threat of the PSP i just see it as a lesser threat than you lot seem to.

B: The PSX was cheaper than the N64

C: The PSX had lower specs also do note.

D: The PSX had a far larger third party fan base

E: None of the above apply to the PSP.
Wed 18/02/04 at 16:24
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I think it's about time all the companies in videogames stopped using the E3 show to launch stuff. It makes little sense now that the industry has come so far.

To learn of the show you basically have to buy a magazine, and to learn everything at the show you have to buy several magazines. To see al the videos in decent quality you have to buy magazines with DVDs, online content, or wait for a slow drip feed of free content on the net. Furthermore the promotional stuff at the show ends up largely on eBay where people reap cash for the stuff - why not get that promo stuff in magazines and mailings to gamers who actually want the stuff for themselves and not to sell?

It'd even be better for the companies - no more having journalists - that you p"ssed off by not giving them a free tshirt - giving your new game a bad preview or little column inches for starters.

Sure, Nintendo should show the DS off if they have a working one, but why not mail all registered SP and GC owners a pack of information or a disc with info on it and video? Or in exchange for a paltry amount of Stars?
Wed 18/02/04 at 15:11
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Dringo wrote:
> Nintendo will also be marketing it differently...
>
> I think you'll be surprised...

Quote from original post :-
"
They are weary of losing money in Online gaming, they're nervous of the amount of money they can lose with mass advertisement and
"

So how are they going to market this differently? By actually advertising? Narr, that would be a wise decision by Nintendo!

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.