GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goty Out Today"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition'.
Fri 20/02/04 at 13:48
Regular
""To the pub...""
Yippeee i got Goty for Xbox from Game everyone else was buying Final Fantasy x-2 for PS2 which was also released today and theres me the odd one out but with the superior game lol

I have'nt tryed it yet i've had a look at the map and the pics on the back exciting stuff.

well i'm off round my mates house for the weekend for Beer /Girls and sleepless nights (due to playing goty although girls help as well Lmao)
Mon 23/02/04 at 22:10
Regular
"Remember me?"
Silver_Knight wrote:
> Albino-Man wrote:
> Still doesn't mean I hate the genre.
>
> No it means you like "Eastern Rpgs" there are 2 typres of
> RPGS Eastern (Japaneses like Final Fantasy / Skies of Arcadia / Zelda)

No it means I like good games.
Mon 23/02/04 at 22:23
Regular
Silver_Knight wrote:
> And i have noticed not many people like both one of my mates loves
> Japanese RPGS thats all he goes on about and when i showed him
> Morrowind he was'nt too impressed and i was'nt too impressed with
> Zelda Windwaker.

I love both kinds.
Mon 23/02/04 at 22:25
Regular
""To the pub...""
Albino-Man wrote:
> Silver_Knight wrote:
> Albino-Man wrote:
> Still doesn't mean I hate the genre.
>
> No it means you like "Eastern Rpgs" there are 2 typres of
> RPGS Eastern (Japaneses like Final Fantasy / Skies of Arcadia /
> Zelda)
>
> *
>
> No it means I like good games.

Explain to me how a Japanese RPG like Zelda can be better than morrowind ?

1) for one you have to do what the game wants you to do.

2) None of the games have graphics that even come close to Morrowind

3) Morrowind has Better Music by a proper composer not spotty jap computer geeks.

4) Morrowind is Not Japanese therefore no Strange Characters and boring storylines just unlimited amount of playability.

5) All those Jap rpgs can be completed then thats it except for maybe a alternative ending where as Morrowind Has 100's and 100's of hours of gameplay with Millions of missions and sidequests a Absolutely Massive 3d interactive world and the ability to create any character you want to do almost anything you want.

Shall i go on ?
Tue 24/02/04 at 11:41
Regular
Since when can you do whatever you like in KOTOR for example?

Sure, you've got the freedom to travel to the planets in any order you like and talk to the bots which all say the same thing, but the game is still rather linear. It just has three or four paths to take as opposed to one main one.

You could still explore wherever you liked in the Zelda series from Ocarina of Time onwards. You could still 'talk' to any character standing about. And there were loads of side quests in Zelda if you chose to look for them.
Tue 24/02/04 at 12:04
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Ok, spent the whole of yesterday playing the game and heres my experiences and views of it so far....

Start off in Seyda Neen like everyone else. Spend about 4 hours in this place, talking to people, grabbing any bits of money and crap from barrels and crates that I can without getting arrested.
Decide its really clever to try and steal a nice looking tray as I leave the prison only to get a slap wrist and a warning.
Soon have enough money to buy my first weapon and armour, etc. Goto the shop all eager like some kid with a pocket full of Birthday money and decide to grab an iron claymore. Also get myself some heavy and medium armour items. Go into lighthouse and talk to old person. Decide to take some of old persons stuff. Old person takes exception and starts punching me in the face. Old person's frail old woman hands make me fall on the floor like a very weak girl type thing. Get back up. Stick claymore in her. Leave.

Told to take the insect thing to Balmora because I'm a weak crappy person with a claymore. I stare blankly at advice giving person, then walk off into forest.
Look at the signs to find my way to Balmora - Notice its getting dark as I leave Seyda Neen which probably means much more danger in the forest, but decide to leave anyway. Me clever.
Hear a scream as I'm walking and decide to investigate - someone on the floor looking very motionless/hurt/dead.
Find out its some magic person who was trying to learn to fly with a homemade potion. I laugh, steal his possessions including his clothes and leave him in his pants. Hur, hur, hur.

See town, but its not Balmora. Its Pelagiad - go in anyway to sell crap I'd picked up and take a rest and just leave for Balmora the next day. Ok town, can't be bothered to stay too long. Steal stuff from barrels and crates, break into a house and take stuff, sell the stuff I don't want, then leave again.

On the way I spot an entrance to a tomb. Mmmmmmmmmm, tombs mean lots of shiney things. Decide to go in and 5 finger discount anything I can find thats good. Go into one room - nasty skeleton awaits. Wrap my claymore round its head and look around - find a couple of bits to take.
Go into another room, mmmmmmmmmm, valuable looking scroll, weapon and book sitting in there. Go to grab whats rightfully not mine and get a good kicking from a resident ghost. After cleverly swinging my claymore at it and working out that I'm not gonna get much of a result - I run like girl back out of tomb.
I heal myself and go back into tomb, sneaking upto the nasty ghost room. I run in, grab all the stuff and run out again with ghost chasing me, probably waving its fist as I fly out the door.

Arrive at Ft Moonmoth and decide to sell more crap. Manage to buy a summon spell thing which sounds good. Can't use it yet - doh !
Go back into forest and decide to use my skeleton summon spell for no reason. Skeleton appears and we stare blankly at eachother for a minute or so. Skeleton disappears and I carry on walking.
Arrive in Balmora during a rainy night and decide to look around for shops and stuff. Buy a new steel claymore and some new armour. Also buy a book about vampires and read it.
Join Thieves guild but can't be bothered to do anything I'm told I need to do. Find the guy I'm told to find at the beginning of game and told I'm going to be a spy, or something.
Go back to Ft Moonmoth and now some guard person wants me to get names of people in nasty crime guild. Should result in violent bloodbath and dead people.....Gonna get names.

Good game so far. I like it.
Tue 24/02/04 at 12:24
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Silver_Knight wrote:
> >
> Explain to me how a Japanese RPG like Zelda can be better than
> morrowind ?
>
> 1) for one you have to do what the game wants you to do.
>
> 2) None of the games have graphics that even come close to Morrowind
>
> 3) Morrowind has Better Music by a proper composer not spotty jap
> computer geeks.
>
> 4) Morrowind is Not Japanese therefore no Strange Characters and
> boring storylines just unlimited amount of playability.
>
> 5) All those Jap rpgs can be completed then thats it except for maybe
> a alternative ending where as Morrowind Has 100's and 100's of hours
> of gameplay with Millions of missions and sidequests a Absolutely
> Massive 3d interactive world and the ability to create any character
> you want to do almost anything you want.
>
> Shall i go on ?

No. First of all, both Western and Eastern RPGs/Adventures are good or bad depending on their merits, not their style. Saying otherwise is pathetic and ignorant. Secondly, the music and graphics in Zelda: WW are fantastic. Hitman 2 uses a full orchestra for its music (and is very good for it), but Zelda still has better music. Graphically it's just perfect.

Zelda is also a perfect balance. Huge main storyline, but with loads of little sub quests to do. Morrowind should be commended for trying to introduce offline non-linearity on such scale, but um, Zelda and co are universally hailed as being the best games ever. Has Morrowind? No. It is huge, it is epic, but that does not mean it is better than games that restrict you more.
Tue 24/02/04 at 13:38
Regular
"Teal'c"
http://shop.game.net/gallery.aspx? cat=10137&Index=322805&Image=2

I’m laughing all the way.

Oh, and FF7 kicks all your RPG ásses.
Tue 24/02/04 at 13:49
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Cyclone wrote:
but um, Zelda and
> co are universally hailed as being the best games ever. Has
> Morrowind?

Actually, if you read many of the reviews you'll find that Morrowind is hailed as one of the best RPG's ever. That's not so far off really, is it?
Tue 24/02/04 at 17:09
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Every shop near me has sold out of Goty. It's driving me mad. I bought Prince of Persia as compensation, which is good, but the fighting is getting on my nerves. I can't believe they used an undead storyline. Damned monotonous zombies. After playing Morrowind, all games seem too... limiting.
Tue 24/02/04 at 19:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
VenomByte wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
> but um, Zelda and
> co are universally hailed as being the best games ever. Has
> Morrowind?
>
> Actually, if you read many of the reviews you'll find that Morrowind
> is hailed as one of the best RPG's ever. That's not so far off
> really, is it?

Not saying it isn't. But reviews of M3 have never *quite* been as positive as Zelda*

*Understatement.

Eg, PC Gamer review of Morrowind - 83%

Zelda OOT = 98% in a million mags, WW closely behind.

So moo.

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.