GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Nintendo should do"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/02/04 at 00:05
Regular
Boo bloody hoo JApanese gamers aren't buying our console in droves. 3 Letters Iwati, if that is really your name.

RPG.

Got it? Right snap up Lost Kingdoms, get tonnes of Final Fantasy, grab the tales series by the horns and release any other RPG you fancy... how about developing a Pokemon one you fool! Look the Japanese market really isn't that hard to fathom... action adventure games succeed irregulary... RPG's rule. Simple. RPG's and Pokemon... not that much of a challenge?

What about the west? Another simple little job for ya, march right up to Eidos... and go "Oi Eidos NO, we don't want your crappy Tomb Raider series or your now defunked Championship Manager games. But gives us Hitman 3. The only reason Hitman 2 failed was because you are a bunch of bloody idiots and released the game 8 months after the other systems. Yeah that's it blame it on our lack of success and not your own dumb ass marketing ploys, sort yourself out man we'll help the costs just port it to the Cube... ON TIME".

A few handshakes later and march over to EA and go "Oi EA NO! You've done us a lot of favours and we appreciate it but give your 2nd party studio Criteon a slap for us. Burnout 3 is needed you understand b!tch... it's a top game... I want it... the fans want it and dammit we need a decent driving game... get it sorted!"

A few handshakes later then woddle over to Rockstar and go "Oi Rockstarr NO! You've enjoyed so much success with the GTA series isn't it about time you developed a version for the cube? How about geering it to our hardcore fan base... a few Nintendo related goodies like an arcade or even a pathetic Mario statue will do... a few gubbins onto a pre-existing engine won't take too much and we'll cover the damn costs. Get it on the Cube!"

Finished? Right now visit Atari, Acclaim, Codemasters and get some stuff sorted there. Go over to Free Radical and thank the guys for releasing Timesplitters 3 and Second Sight for the Gamecube, shake hands with Ubi-soft for their dedicated support and give a wink to Activision. Western ties are feeling good you see, watch the sales increase a bit... watch the supply of games look better.

In the East Nintendo you are doing some very clever stuff, you're doing deals with mega Eastern developers, NAMCO and Capcom are trying to impress you the most, Konami are doing deals with you, SEGA release a set of exclusive titles... dammit even Hudson, Koi etc... are loving you up. It may not be going too well over there, but a few high profile RPG's, the DS and perhaps a nice new prephiral will do the trick.

This will not work as well in the West, maybe it'll do a bit but not as much as getting the western developers on board. There is more than just EA over here, you've openly mentioned how important GTA could be... can you not do a few deals over here? I mean an exclusive game from EA will cause some serious sales damage, Free Radical are excellent and encouraging them to develop an exclusive FPS might help... Activision, THQ all like ya and so do fantastic company Ubi-soft. This is a company willing to fiddle with Online gaming for you and even release titles such as Rayman 3 early. Play with this friendship... strengthen old ties... Your deals with Square, Capcom, Namco, SEGA and Konami in the east are great... work with those but lets come over here now Nintendo talk to our developers.

Your home market may not be impressed with their offerings but if you want to succeed abroad you'll need to chat up the developers. It's about time you did a Sony and got some good contacts.

You sold Rare, a company that single handidly kept you afloat in Europe and America... Retro and Silicon knights are fantastic western developers... both are developing Eastern games.

When will you learn?
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:04
Regular
Nintendo really don't need Jak & Daxter.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:04
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> Nintendo really don't need Jak & Daxter.

Exactly... they don't need to be a PS2.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:06
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Ah yes but Wind Waker was so much fun and so funning good... don't
> knock it!

Yes, but out of fantastic visuals and two dungeons, which would you prefer? ;-)
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:09
Regular
I'd prefer the blisteringly fantastic control system and the adorable and comical graphical techniques to an extra couple of dungeons...

On the other hand I want the extra couple of dungeouns AS WELL the best battle system ever and the jaw dropping graphics... and as a Zelda game I was expecting it. Sadly Nintendo had no desire to delay the game due to complaints last time so they didn't... turned out to be perfection... just unfinished perfection.

The sequel has everything in place ALREADY so Nintendo should be able to build a more in depth adventure on top of it.

It's not to say The Wind Waker didn't have depth... it just could have had a lot more.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:11
Regular
You shallow, shallow person. They weren't extra dungeons, they were pivitol to your quest. If Nintendo took a little less time on the visuals and more time on the actual game it could have been much better.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:25
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Dringo wrote:
> Exactly... they don't need to be a PS2.

Bit confused Dringo, as this seems to be exactly the opposite of what you were saying in your original post. i.e. chase down the licenses that sell on other systems, the things that people buy a PS2 for.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:45
Regular
Chase down the western franchises yes...

These games sell the PS2 and X-box... but not the Gamecube because we don't have it.

Some exclusive mega third party hits is exactly what the Gamecube needs...

An example of a mega franchise used different for Nintendo is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles... an amazing franchise re-built and changed for the Gamecube.

Actually why am I argueing that considering Final Fantasy and Metal Gear etc... were all Nintendo games once.

And how am I shallow? The major difference between the Wind Waker and MM that made it so much better was the control system, beautiful, fluid, gorgeous, fun, clever, responsive.... everything the best battle system so far... fantastic. If Nintendo didn't spend so long in that department then the game wouldn't be nearly as fun and 2 extra dungeons wouldn't make up for the fact.

Also the graphical techniques added a far more comical and "alive" than any previous Zelda and added to the experience. This and the battle system made up for the lack of dungeons.
Thu 26/02/04 at 13:40
Regular
But you're favouring pretty graphical effects over essential dungeons. Anyway, I was only joking ;-)
Thu 26/02/04 at 13:57
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
The argument that MGS and FF started on Nintendo is an irrelevant one, for starters both were changed massively in the leap to 3D with FMV, and also it was long before most current gamers even cared.

Any of the 'system sellers' that do go to Nintendo WOULD be changed to suit the Gamecube, the same way FF:CC put the focus on multiplayer. This unfortunately removes all the appeal to me, and I suspect a lot of people, so it is no longer a system seller.

Nintendo limit themselves in so many ways.... the media, the company 'principles', the regionalisation... I really believe they should do what Sega did, stop trying to control the industry and just become part of it by producing quality games.

As long as they produce for their own console with their own restrictions you'll never get the wide selection you get on PS2 and X-box (assuming you do get a wide selection on X-box, and it's not just FPS games, haha!).
Thu 26/02/04 at 17:18
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> Nintendo really don't need Jak & Daxter.

Maybe they do. I mean, GameCube isn't really the best console for platformers, is it? At least not by any fair stretch.

Jak & Daxter is such an enjoyable game to experience, and while it was ultimately short lived, it was better than Mario Sunshine in various aspects of play. It opened my eyes to a new slant on the platforming genre that could be just as much fun.

It also made me realise how Nintendo appear to be getting almost sloppy in places. Some of the level design in Sunshine left much to be desired, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a chore to play at times. When it all boils down to it, Sunshine was an excellent but flawed title (around the 8-9/10 mark) and yes, on the whole better than Jak & Daxter.

But Nintendo have been somewhat lacking in their recent efforts, and therefore can't dismiss games such as Jak & Daxter so easily.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.