GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Nintendo should do"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/02/04 at 00:05
Regular
Boo bloody hoo JApanese gamers aren't buying our console in droves. 3 Letters Iwati, if that is really your name.

RPG.

Got it? Right snap up Lost Kingdoms, get tonnes of Final Fantasy, grab the tales series by the horns and release any other RPG you fancy... how about developing a Pokemon one you fool! Look the Japanese market really isn't that hard to fathom... action adventure games succeed irregulary... RPG's rule. Simple. RPG's and Pokemon... not that much of a challenge?

What about the west? Another simple little job for ya, march right up to Eidos... and go "Oi Eidos NO, we don't want your crappy Tomb Raider series or your now defunked Championship Manager games. But gives us Hitman 3. The only reason Hitman 2 failed was because you are a bunch of bloody idiots and released the game 8 months after the other systems. Yeah that's it blame it on our lack of success and not your own dumb ass marketing ploys, sort yourself out man we'll help the costs just port it to the Cube... ON TIME".

A few handshakes later and march over to EA and go "Oi EA NO! You've done us a lot of favours and we appreciate it but give your 2nd party studio Criteon a slap for us. Burnout 3 is needed you understand b!tch... it's a top game... I want it... the fans want it and dammit we need a decent driving game... get it sorted!"

A few handshakes later then woddle over to Rockstar and go "Oi Rockstarr NO! You've enjoyed so much success with the GTA series isn't it about time you developed a version for the cube? How about geering it to our hardcore fan base... a few Nintendo related goodies like an arcade or even a pathetic Mario statue will do... a few gubbins onto a pre-existing engine won't take too much and we'll cover the damn costs. Get it on the Cube!"

Finished? Right now visit Atari, Acclaim, Codemasters and get some stuff sorted there. Go over to Free Radical and thank the guys for releasing Timesplitters 3 and Second Sight for the Gamecube, shake hands with Ubi-soft for their dedicated support and give a wink to Activision. Western ties are feeling good you see, watch the sales increase a bit... watch the supply of games look better.

In the East Nintendo you are doing some very clever stuff, you're doing deals with mega Eastern developers, NAMCO and Capcom are trying to impress you the most, Konami are doing deals with you, SEGA release a set of exclusive titles... dammit even Hudson, Koi etc... are loving you up. It may not be going too well over there, but a few high profile RPG's, the DS and perhaps a nice new prephiral will do the trick.

This will not work as well in the West, maybe it'll do a bit but not as much as getting the western developers on board. There is more than just EA over here, you've openly mentioned how important GTA could be... can you not do a few deals over here? I mean an exclusive game from EA will cause some serious sales damage, Free Radical are excellent and encouraging them to develop an exclusive FPS might help... Activision, THQ all like ya and so do fantastic company Ubi-soft. This is a company willing to fiddle with Online gaming for you and even release titles such as Rayman 3 early. Play with this friendship... strengthen old ties... Your deals with Square, Capcom, Namco, SEGA and Konami in the east are great... work with those but lets come over here now Nintendo talk to our developers.

Your home market may not be impressed with their offerings but if you want to succeed abroad you'll need to chat up the developers. It's about time you did a Sony and got some good contacts.

You sold Rare, a company that single handidly kept you afloat in Europe and America... Retro and Silicon knights are fantastic western developers... both are developing Eastern games.

When will you learn?
Wed 25/02/04 at 22:38
Regular
Lots of games on the Cube have audio compressions and its hard to tell if you put it through a decent surround sound system.
Wed 25/02/04 at 22:49
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Oh yes incredably tiny, just look at Skies of Arcadia, Zelda, Eteneral
> Darkness or maybe have a go on the miniscule Metroid Prime or Super
> Mario Sunshine...
>
> Quite...
>
> We are all prone to talk anal at times but try not to do it on a
> regular basis.

skies of arcadia had 80 hours of gameplay yes, but it had text based cut scenes meaning they didnt have to clog up the disc with real voice overs. the graphics were also sub-rate meaning they had more space for gameplay. It was also a compressed dreamcast port.

Zelda was unfinished, way too short and diddnt come close to ocarina of time or majoras mask in the gameplay department. It had nice visuals and some good ideas but totally lacked depth.

Havent played eternal darkness but i hear thats relatively long.

metroid prime was a long game but it was only long because instead of creating a larger world, the developers made you trek all the way back through the way you ahd just came.

As for super mario sunshine, once again outstanding visuals but boring repeteive gameplay and no depth whatsoever.

Lets face it the majority of GC exclusives are way too short. Double dash was pathetic in the single player department, Luigis mansion was just tiny, star fox was incredibly short and Pikmin lasted less than a day! The only real exclusives that have any depth are F zero, SSBM and Resi evil (and that required two discs). All the others are over in a week or two...

I do not know how nintendo are going to get around this problem as the dics just dont have enough space for decent sized games.
Wed 25/02/04 at 22:54
Regular
Outside of the Skies of Arcadia compression port (which may I add was in the audio department) the res**t of that was bull sh*t in my opinion. If you care to collect all the photos and treasure maps on Zelda it turns into an absolutley huge game. Eteneral Darkness with 3 seperate paths was a huge game. He said the all Gamecube games were small in size and I was pointing out how wrong he was, the examples I gave were more the sufficent to prove my point.

Also Double Dash didn't have a crap single player, its probably the bes**t in the series when it boils down to it.
Wed 25/02/04 at 23:03
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
The only forum I don't post in is the X-box one, because I don't have an X-box.

Of course Skies of Arcadia fits, there is no FMV in the entire game.. it's all rendered. It was 2 CDs worth on the Dreamcast. FFX on the cube is an impossibility other than over several discs, and since this is the kind of release Dringo was insinuating Nintendo need to get, I think the point stands.

The Gamecube's strength is it's unique games, once again everybody is saying the solution to Nintendo's problems is to 'be' a PS2 by copying it's catalogue. Why would anybody want a second PS2? What happened to Nintendo pride?
Wed 25/02/04 at 23:14
Regular
"thursdayton!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Notice the tend? The majority cancelled will end up a total bag of
> wa*k anyway. Driver excluded.

Fool, it's not the games it's the principle. And if some start, more will follow.
Wed 25/02/04 at 23:17
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Pringle28 wrote:
> As for super mario sunshine, once again outstanding visuals but
> boring repeteive gameplay and no depth whatsoever.

Boring repetitive gameplay? Are you playing the same game as the rest of us?
Wed 25/02/04 at 23:19
Regular
I didn't buy my Cube to count the sales figures you silly t*t, I bought it purely to play Nintendo games and the odd decent 3rd party game. Seeing as Capcom have shown what they think of the Cube and the fact that they are probably the best 3rd party company at the moment I don't need to worry.

I think you will find the fools are the c*cks who rush out to buy games like Uefa 2004 on release.

Fool.
Wed 25/02/04 at 23:25
Regular
Pringle28 wrote:
> I do not know how nintendo are going to get around this problem as
> the dics just dont have enough space for decent sized games.

You muppet!

DK64 and OOT were bigger than most of these games and they were on a 32Mb cartrige - the Mini DVD is 1,500Mb. The Mini-DVD's are worth 2 CD's and 1.5 Dreamcast discs.

The storage medium isn't an issue.
Nintendo not wanting to commit to big games is.

If a game needs more than one disk, it's because it's been overloaded with FMV footage and soundtracks.

Conker was FULL of DETAILED cutscenes and that was on a mere 32Mb.
Sure, more storage can only be a good thing, but the lack of DVD space on Nintendo's disc's is barely worth thinking about because it's so insignificant.
Wed 25/02/04 at 23:32
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:

> Also Double Dash didn't have a crap single player, its probably the
> best in the series when it boils down to it.

Did I say that double dash had crap single player? no! I said it was to short! What there was of the DD single player was good fun but there wasnt near enough options. I completed all the difficulties and all cup modes within two weeks and I think most of the people here did too. I dont call that value for money if you ask me.

I suggest you read posts your about to comment on more clearly in future.
Wed 25/02/04 at 23:35
Regular
You said it was pathetic in single player due to its length. Lets not get pedantic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.