GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Nintendo should do"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/02/04 at 00:05
Regular
Boo bloody hoo JApanese gamers aren't buying our console in droves. 3 Letters Iwati, if that is really your name.

RPG.

Got it? Right snap up Lost Kingdoms, get tonnes of Final Fantasy, grab the tales series by the horns and release any other RPG you fancy... how about developing a Pokemon one you fool! Look the Japanese market really isn't that hard to fathom... action adventure games succeed irregulary... RPG's rule. Simple. RPG's and Pokemon... not that much of a challenge?

What about the west? Another simple little job for ya, march right up to Eidos... and go "Oi Eidos NO, we don't want your crappy Tomb Raider series or your now defunked Championship Manager games. But gives us Hitman 3. The only reason Hitman 2 failed was because you are a bunch of bloody idiots and released the game 8 months after the other systems. Yeah that's it blame it on our lack of success and not your own dumb ass marketing ploys, sort yourself out man we'll help the costs just port it to the Cube... ON TIME".

A few handshakes later and march over to EA and go "Oi EA NO! You've done us a lot of favours and we appreciate it but give your 2nd party studio Criteon a slap for us. Burnout 3 is needed you understand b!tch... it's a top game... I want it... the fans want it and dammit we need a decent driving game... get it sorted!"

A few handshakes later then woddle over to Rockstar and go "Oi Rockstarr NO! You've enjoyed so much success with the GTA series isn't it about time you developed a version for the cube? How about geering it to our hardcore fan base... a few Nintendo related goodies like an arcade or even a pathetic Mario statue will do... a few gubbins onto a pre-existing engine won't take too much and we'll cover the damn costs. Get it on the Cube!"

Finished? Right now visit Atari, Acclaim, Codemasters and get some stuff sorted there. Go over to Free Radical and thank the guys for releasing Timesplitters 3 and Second Sight for the Gamecube, shake hands with Ubi-soft for their dedicated support and give a wink to Activision. Western ties are feeling good you see, watch the sales increase a bit... watch the supply of games look better.

In the East Nintendo you are doing some very clever stuff, you're doing deals with mega Eastern developers, NAMCO and Capcom are trying to impress you the most, Konami are doing deals with you, SEGA release a set of exclusive titles... dammit even Hudson, Koi etc... are loving you up. It may not be going too well over there, but a few high profile RPG's, the DS and perhaps a nice new prephiral will do the trick.

This will not work as well in the West, maybe it'll do a bit but not as much as getting the western developers on board. There is more than just EA over here, you've openly mentioned how important GTA could be... can you not do a few deals over here? I mean an exclusive game from EA will cause some serious sales damage, Free Radical are excellent and encouraging them to develop an exclusive FPS might help... Activision, THQ all like ya and so do fantastic company Ubi-soft. This is a company willing to fiddle with Online gaming for you and even release titles such as Rayman 3 early. Play with this friendship... strengthen old ties... Your deals with Square, Capcom, Namco, SEGA and Konami in the east are great... work with those but lets come over here now Nintendo talk to our developers.

Your home market may not be impressed with their offerings but if you want to succeed abroad you'll need to chat up the developers. It's about time you did a Sony and got some good contacts.

You sold Rare, a company that single handidly kept you afloat in Europe and America... Retro and Silicon knights are fantastic western developers... both are developing Eastern games.

When will you learn?
Sat 28/02/04 at 15:56
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> DK64 and Conker were 512 Mb carts,

Definately not DK64, (Resi 2 was the first), but maybe Conker, MAYBE.

> OOT 256 Mb. I actually think that
> 1.5 Gb is a bit on the tight side as most games do have FMV and
> audio, not to mention the need for space for more and better textures
> etc, but the GC deals with compression well.

You've made an flaw.
The carts were MB, MegaBits.
I was talking Megabytes, what storage is usually measured in.
There are 8 bits to the byte.
Therefore, OOT's 256 MegaBITS is only 32 Megabytes.
The Gamecube disks are 1500 Megabytes.

VERY big difference.

> But the main issue is length of the games. You got it right, Nintendo
> don't want to do big games now.

It's not just the length of the games.
You get about 5 hours of wowing with new levels to explore, than the game ends and all that's left is to scour the current levels for (sometimes tedious) hidden secrets.

I can see why they've stopped bothering with over-sized games, after all, they retail for the same as minature ones, but it's a shame when you remember how much Nintendo used to put into their game lands.
Sat 28/02/04 at 12:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
But there is double jump......and the left/right flick is easy.

And the lives thing. I just couldn't stop playing even when I was howling.
Sat 28/02/04 at 12:20
"period drama"
Sunshine is great, save for some quite stupid designs.
For one - the lives system. I've not seen a game with 'lives' in about 3 years. It take all the fun out of things and doesn't encourage you to keep trying.

And the stupid left-right jump thingy.
Double jump, anyone?
That would have saved many naughty words escaping my innocent mouth.
Sat 28/02/04 at 00:54
Regular
NB you are correct... for a change...

Nintendo no longer create reasons to buy their system over here... only those who like Eastern games and us die hard fans buy their system anymore.
Sat 28/02/04 at 00:46
"I love yo... lamp."
Strafio wrote:
> Pringle28 wrote:
> I do not know how nintendo are going to get around this problem as
> the dics just dont have enough space for decent sized games.
>
> You muppet!
>
> DK64 and OOT were bigger than most of these games and they were on a
> 32Mb cartrige - the Mini DVD is 1,500Mb. The Mini-DVD's are worth 2
> CD's and 1.5 Dreamcast discs.
>
> The storage medium isn't an issue.
> Nintendo not wanting to commit to big games is.
>
> If a game needs more than one disk, it's because it's been overloaded
> with FMV footage and soundtracks.
>
> Conker was FULL of DETAILED cutscenes and that was on a mere 32Mb.
> Sure, more storage can only be a good thing, but the lack of DVD
> space on Nintendo's disc's is barely worth thinking about because
> it's so insignificant.

DK64 and Conker were 512 Mb carts, OOT 256 Mb. I actually think that 1.5 Gb is a bit on the tight side as most games do have FMV and audio, not to mention the need for space for more and better textures etc, but the GC deals with compression well.

But the main issue is length of the games. You got it right, Nintendo don't want to do big games now.

Dringo wrote:
stuff

Yeah, the GC could do with some more western games. Don't get me wrong, some of the eastern ones I like. But take Nintendo games out of the picture and there is virtually nothing that would make me, or most other people in Europe, want a Gamecube. And not everybody likes Nintendo games.

Not liking Nintendo games alone, should not be the reason you don't buy a Gamecube. It should still have enough other games that you would want one, even if you did hate Mario and Zelda. And in Japan there are enough of those games. Just over here there isn't. And over here is a huge market now.
Sat 28/02/04 at 00:19
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:

> It just is the pure essence of fun.
>
> No it wan't! That's just the point!
>
> I'll respect your opinion Dringo, really I will, but I really didn't
> think Sunshine was the such intense fun it was made out to be. There
> were certain places where I really was bored. Look at the start of
> the game - we had to do the same thing 3 times. What's the point?
> This isn't the Nintendo I know.

A game where I played missions I've completed before such a races on squids despite my lack of time for games is a special game indeed.

A game which I turn on just to slide over oil into the water and jump off a light house to go head first into the sand is a special game indeed.

A game which had me riding roller coasters to shoot balloons again and AGAIN is a very special game indeed.

A game that is without a doubt in my mind the second best Gamecube game out there is a very special game indeed.

A game that alters the entire Mario jumping technique without us barley noticing is an ingenious game.

A game that managed to come up with hundreds of new puzzles never experienced before in a platformer with some very simple controls and not many upgrades is a very special game indeed.

A game that was so damn addictive I even got every coin in every concievable corner is a very special game indeed.

Mario Sunshine was very fun... could have been better... but still as fun as Mario has always been.
Fri 27/02/04 at 17:13
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> And according to the new Games TM Burnout 3 is coming to all 3
> consoles.

Of course. I really don't see why it wouldn't. It's a series of game that sells very well across each platform.
Fri 27/02/04 at 17:12
Regular
*wasn't
Fri 27/02/04 at 17:12
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Sunshine is the best platformer of this generation...
>
> Blinx and JAk and Daxter or Rachet and Clank can't touch it no matter
> how hard they try.
>
> It just is the pure essence of fun.

No it wan't! That's just the point!

I'll respect your opinion Dringo, really I will, but I really didn't think Sunshine was the such intense fun it was made out to be. There were certain places where I really was bored. Look at the start of the game - we had to do the same thing 3 times. What's the point? This isn't the Nintendo I know.

Blinx was crap, so it obviously can't touch Sunshine, and Ratchet and Clank was more of a jack of all trades, master of none game. But I wasn't talking about them. Jak & Daxter really had something going for it, and playing it I thought "yeah, this works". It was a damn good effort, and demands enough respect not to be dismissed with buzz words and meaningless phrases.
Fri 27/02/04 at 14:02
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> No way, Prince of Persia is the best platformer. No doubt about it. :D

Tis Great.... really Great...

But all it is is a platformer... Mario was just soooo much fun... so very very clever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.