GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Channel 4 Are Beginning To Annoy Me..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 12:47
Regular
On Friday night, I watched some of the Brasseye special on C4. It was absolutely disgusting, in my opinion. It was meant to be a comedy, and the only time I laughed was once, just as I turned on, when it had, "Here is a peadophile disguised as a house."

Then I began to see what it was all about. They showed footage of 2 people having sex, the woman meant to be a 10-year-old girl. They also brought a boy in, and then asked a 'peadophile,' if he fancied him!

After clocking up over a 1000 complaints, one from MP David Blunkett, they STILL showed the repeat!

And what's this I hear? They're getting rid of WWF because of it's 'extreme nature.' Supposedly, it's 'too hard to edit,' although it's shown at past midnight, and their have been a few complaints about the crazy stunts and the way they portray women.

John Bayer, Director of Media Watch UK, slammed the move. He said, "On one hand they transmit disgraceful programmmes such as Brass Eye and on the other hand they have a dislike of wrestling, which is just acting and healthy messing around. Their double standards are incomprehensable."

I completely agree. Brasseye wasn't funny, it was disgusting, and I expect it offended many people. How'd you think people who had actually been affected by the subject felt??

I was also shocked to see (not sure about her name,) but that women who starred in great comedies such as Beast and Smack The Pony, playing a large role in the program!

So Channel 4 think that Sports-Entertainment is wrong, and Brasseye is right. Wrestling is very popular in the UK, and the 4 PPV's that they show over the whole year, as well as the weekly edition of Sunday Night Heat, must get them a lot of viewers. Their have been hardly any complaints, and it's now been changed from an afternoon showing to a late night showing. Brasseye, which was shown at around 10pm I think, has now had over 2000 complaints, they show it twice and have still done nothing about it.

I am very annoyed at the actions of Channel 4. It's probably one of my favourite channels as it shows class programs such as Friends, Frasier, South Park and has good coverage of the Cricket. And of course, it did have WWF.

I would like to hear your views, and if you actually liked Brasseye, please tell me why as I am shocked that anyone could actually enjoy a programme with such dirty, offensive material.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Tue 31/07/01 at 11:46
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Mewtwo wrote:
> pb wrote:
> The press and public love to
> complain about this
> kind of stuff.
> Anyone remember
> Ghostwatch from a couple of
> years back, it caused an
>
> outrage and the BBC had to appologise
> for the whole thing,
> even
> though they issued a warning.

That was the thing... The didnt mention it was fake

How well it is supposed works as a practicle joke otherwise is kina limited?

(although a list of cast members at the end was a bit of a givaway)

They had to apologise because some mentally disturbed lad hung himself after watching it... apparently he left a note saying he was going to kill himself to become a ghost and save his mother from the other ghosts or something?
Tue 31/07/01 at 10:01
It's simple really. As Goatboy is probably trying to saying. If you don't like it don't watcgh it. If you do, well that's you evening sorted out.
Tue 31/07/01 at 09:16
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Ant wrote:
> Hooplah wrote:
By arguing using the example of the WWF you
>
> more or less shoot yourself in the foot. You're saying that;
> 'I
> don't see anything wrong with wrestling, why are they
> trying to ban
> it?' Then countering with 'I think this Morris'
> style is wrong,
> please ban it.'

Yes, but C4 are doing the
> same thing!

It appears to me as though C4 don't like wrestling.
> Instead of saying, "Next is WWF Wrestling," or whatever,
> they actually insult it! They even called the wrestlers
> "dim" at one point.

And now they're getting rid of it
> thanks to a few complaints, rather than getting rid of Brasseye
> which has had a very mixed response. Some like it, and some hate it
> enough to complain about it.

Why not keep wrestling if they're
> gonna keep Brasseye? I am just saying I would like a detailed
> response from C4, saying why they are continuing to broadcast
> Brasseye, and not WWF. They haven't really given us a decent reason
> yet for banning it.

I'm not actually arguing for Brasseye to be
> banned! I didn't like it, so I won't watch it. But I want to know
> why wrestling is banned, and not Brasseye.

Whilst watching Brasseye would not influence you to commit paedophilia, a child watching WWF Wrestling may very well pick up a chair and smash it over his brother's head.
Tue 31/07/01 at 09:07
"possibly impossible"
Mewtwo wrote:
> pb wrote:
> The press and public love to complain about this
> kind of stuff.
> Anyone remember Ghostwatch from a couple of
> years back, it caused an
> outrage and the BBC had to appologise
> for the whole thing, even

Was
> that that the halloween show thing where in the end the studio
> "fell apart" due to parnormal activity??????

Yep, that's the one. Scary stuf, even when you knew it was only a drama.
Mon 30/07/01 at 23:23
Regular
"not dead"
I didn't see it.

I usually watch it but happened to miss it this week.

Sara Cox said on the Radio that when she read all of the headlines in the newspapers she thought it was a wind-up, and Morriss had written them himself....

Also, on the Channel 4 news the news reader guy was interviewing the MP bird that deals with TV laws and stuff (it's late, my vocabulary has gone to pot), and he raised a decent question:

So why are MP's (half of which haven't seen the show) debating this in Parliment, but when a national newspaper had a name and shame a paedophile campaign, which lead to a paedoetrician's house being targeted, nothing was mentioned?

Because it's TV, and TV is more important to many than real life?

personally I think we've got better things to worry about than whats on TV.

If it's entertaining, watch it, if not, there is an 'off' button.
Mon 30/07/01 at 22:42
Regular
What I want to know is how they managed to get all those 'celebrities' to join in, surely they aren't all stupid.
Mon 30/07/01 at 22:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
Just a quick note. Here is a quote from RastaBillySkank (I'm sure he won't mind) about Brasseye:

"Brasseye's programme on paedophiles was disgusting, not funny and utterly utterly sick. Do they have no considertion? I know someone who was raped and she was in tears the next day after seeing that programme. It really was horrible."

That's why I didn't like it. That's what I meant by 'offensive.'
Mon 30/07/01 at 21:20
Regular
"Back For Good"
i was talking about the peadophile spoof program not the one chatted about below.

channel 4 is my favourite channel for films, 4later, sitcoms,news and other programs and HOPE they keep it that way.
Mon 30/07/01 at 21:17
Regular
"Back For Good"
i watched a bit of that i couldn't make out if it was a serious documentary or a "supposed" to be funny program.

IT WAS DISBURBING and if channel 4 ever show anything like that again they'll lose alot of their viewers.
Mon 30/07/01 at 21:08
pb wrote:
> The press and public love to complain about this kind of stuff.
> Anyone remember Ghostwatch from a couple of years back, it caused an
> outrage and the BBC had to appologise for the whole thing, even

Was that that the halloween show thing where in the end the studio "fell apart" due to parnormal activity??????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.