GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Channel 4 Are Beginning To Annoy Me..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 12:47
Regular
On Friday night, I watched some of the Brasseye special on C4. It was absolutely disgusting, in my opinion. It was meant to be a comedy, and the only time I laughed was once, just as I turned on, when it had, "Here is a peadophile disguised as a house."

Then I began to see what it was all about. They showed footage of 2 people having sex, the woman meant to be a 10-year-old girl. They also brought a boy in, and then asked a 'peadophile,' if he fancied him!

After clocking up over a 1000 complaints, one from MP David Blunkett, they STILL showed the repeat!

And what's this I hear? They're getting rid of WWF because of it's 'extreme nature.' Supposedly, it's 'too hard to edit,' although it's shown at past midnight, and their have been a few complaints about the crazy stunts and the way they portray women.

John Bayer, Director of Media Watch UK, slammed the move. He said, "On one hand they transmit disgraceful programmmes such as Brass Eye and on the other hand they have a dislike of wrestling, which is just acting and healthy messing around. Their double standards are incomprehensable."

I completely agree. Brasseye wasn't funny, it was disgusting, and I expect it offended many people. How'd you think people who had actually been affected by the subject felt??

I was also shocked to see (not sure about her name,) but that women who starred in great comedies such as Beast and Smack The Pony, playing a large role in the program!

So Channel 4 think that Sports-Entertainment is wrong, and Brasseye is right. Wrestling is very popular in the UK, and the 4 PPV's that they show over the whole year, as well as the weekly edition of Sunday Night Heat, must get them a lot of viewers. Their have been hardly any complaints, and it's now been changed from an afternoon showing to a late night showing. Brasseye, which was shown at around 10pm I think, has now had over 2000 complaints, they show it twice and have still done nothing about it.

I am very annoyed at the actions of Channel 4. It's probably one of my favourite channels as it shows class programs such as Friends, Frasier, South Park and has good coverage of the Cricket. And of course, it did have WWF.

I would like to hear your views, and if you actually liked Brasseye, please tell me why as I am shocked that anyone could actually enjoy a programme with such dirty, offensive material.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Wed 01/08/01 at 19:44
I'm a bit late coming to this one, as I've been away (getting hitched!).

Ignoring all the controversy (which has already been discussed at great length, and interestingly as well), I just didn't find it particularly funny. In fact, the only part I found amusing was the 'paedophile disguised as a school' part that Ant mentioned. Nothing to do with the disturbing subject matter, more to do with the lack of quality black humour.

Goatboy, do you know why Chris Morris decided to do this special? Does he have any more planned? Having seen some of the original Brass Eyes again recently, it just didn't have the same bite to it. It almost came across as being a 'good idea', that was never really fleshed out fully.

If he wanted to stoke up controversy, I think he succeeded. If he wanted to find humour somewhere in paedophilia, in my opinion he failed.
Wed 01/08/01 at 19:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ice Blaster wrote:
and I dont get why they are
> banning WWF and showing such programmes as brasseye?

Because WWF is meant to be viewed by children.
And C4 feel that there are enough dumb kids out there that would emulate what they see.

Brasseye was made by adults, for adults.
Adults are supposed to be able to handle things calmly, rationally and with a sense of intelligence.
Clearly this is not the case, but then those that have complained have the right to do so, as long as they complain to the ITC and Channel 4.

What you should not to is come into a forum and start mouthing off about a programme you didn't even watch in the 1st place, just because you hear other people talking about it.

And what I find most telling is this:
In this and the other 2 threads about Brasseye, I have posted the telephone numbers for Channel 4 and the ITC, yet nobody apart from Iceblaster says they'll phone them to complain.

And you want to know why?
Because most of you that have been crying and yelling about it didn't even watch it.
It's easy to post here and say "I think it's disgusting C4 showed this programme", but nobody has the guts to phone the people and speak to them directly.

I said it before, and I'll say it again:
Either phone those two numbers or shut the hell up about a programme you didn't watch, or if you did, you didn't understand.

I'm aware that I have been most vocal in defending this programme and have become seriously angry about most of the people that have posted here.
The reason for that is that I detest simple minded fools telling me what I can or can't watch, and slamming me for saying "I enjoyed that show".
It is NONE of your business what I do, see, read, hear, think, say or take into my body as long as I do not harm another living being whilst on this planet.

Got that? Good. So either post your EXACT reasons why this programme got you so riled and the phone those two numbers and report back here what they told you

or

Go back to the FOG forums and talk about something you have one single clue about, because you are way out of your depth on this one kids, I will argue with you until the stars burn out.

Offer intelligent and reasonable debate, or keep your mouth firmly closed.
Wed 01/08/01 at 19:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Please post what they told you, both about WWF and Brasseye.

I'm interested to see if you get the same bored "Brasseye has it's own forum on C4 website" until I explained I wanted to congratulate them.

They were most friendly and provided me with the names and email addresses of people at Channel 4, Chris Morris' production company and the ITC.

Any of you other screamers have the balls to phone and complain?
Wed 01/08/01 at 18:12
Regular
"Back in black"
Thanks for the phone number Goaty, it will come in handy. The problem is, for me, as I am a wwf fan, and I dont get why they are banning WWF and showing such programmes as brasseye? and yes I did see it and I didn't find it amusing. I don't watch big bro by the way. So I think I will ask C4 the very question I just asked now!
Wed 01/08/01 at 16:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Here you go:

Channel 4: 020 7306 8333
ITC: 020 7255 3000

Phone them and register your disgust and sickened souls to them.
See how much they care.

I DARE you to phone them and complain. But you won't do, because to do so would require you to explain to those that are in charge of this "sick and awful" programme exactly why you were upset.

So go on, every single one of you screaming children, phone the people responsible and voice your displeasure.
And then come back here and tell me what they said, and tell me who you spoke, to prove you did.

But I promise you that not one single person here that has been raging about this "evil sick show" has the balls to talk to the people that made the show.

Cowards.
Each and every one of you. It's easy to post anonymously in here and pretend you saw it and pretend you have an opinion.
It's something else to phone a real person and tell them.

So go on, either phone those 2 numbers or shut the hell up.
I have had enough of this now.
Grow up and behave like an adult.

Oh, and when I phoned these companies to register my support, guess what?
They've had 900 complaints, not 5,000.

Phone them, I dare you to.
Wed 01/08/01 at 15:45
Regular
you go girl!no guy oh what ever buts heshe is right
SHUT UP !!!
you might as well stop complaining cos no-one NO-ONE from channel four or the itc is going to see this if you have to complain tell the people who care
C4 probably dont eve care anyways this is some of the best publisity they've ever had

fools
Wed 01/08/01 at 15:38
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, I've tolerated this ill-informed crap long enough.

Either say exactly what is was about this programme that offended you, or shut up and go watch Big Brother some more.

Utter, Utter fools.

None of you even watched this programme, you just spout rhetoric from every redtop tabloid you read.

Go watch Big Brother and Gladiators, enjoy your life and stop telling people what they should and shouldn't watch.

You are not my keeper, you are not in charge of my life or anyone else's except your own.
And if you watched this programme and didn't turn it off if you felt disgusted, or didnt watch it and just comment because everyone else is?

Shame on you, moronic followers.

Get a clue about the subject before you offer your opinion.

Damn you people for this.
Wed 01/08/01 at 15:25
Regular
"Back in black"
Ant wrote:
> Just a quick note. Here is a quote from RastaBillySkank (I'm sure he
> won't mind) about Brasseye:

"Brasseye's programme on
> paedophiles was disgusting, not funny and utterly utterly sick. Do
> they have no considertion? I know someone who was raped and she was
> in tears the next day after seeing that programme. It really was
> horrible."

That's why I didn't like it. That's what I meant
> by 'offensive.'

Its kinda sick people wanting to see that, and I think C4 deserved the 5000+ complaints they recived. Ban WWF? sort your act out!
Tue 31/07/01 at 22:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
And in reply to Goatboy:

I agree about Brookside. It's an outrageously disgusting and stupid programme.

On one show, a husband came home to find his son in bed with his wife-who was the son's actual mother!
Tue 31/07/01 at 22:07
Regular
"I like cheese"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
Whilst watching Brasseye would not
> influence you to commit paedophilia, a child watching WWF Wrestling
> may very well pick up a chair and smash it over his brother's head.

Two things.

1. It's common sense not to hit someone with a chair. Any child (over 5 years old) who does that, doesn't have any common sense-and should be put in a padded cell (well, maybe not that drastic, but something like it.) It's also a part of the WWF which I dislike, so I can't really argue for it. I like the actual wrestling and the storylines.

2. The WWF has an unbelievable amount of warnings. They tell you not to do it at home about 10 times every show, and they also have an Age Rating for every show.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.