GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Channel 4 Are Beginning To Annoy Me..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 12:47
Regular
On Friday night, I watched some of the Brasseye special on C4. It was absolutely disgusting, in my opinion. It was meant to be a comedy, and the only time I laughed was once, just as I turned on, when it had, "Here is a peadophile disguised as a house."

Then I began to see what it was all about. They showed footage of 2 people having sex, the woman meant to be a 10-year-old girl. They also brought a boy in, and then asked a 'peadophile,' if he fancied him!

After clocking up over a 1000 complaints, one from MP David Blunkett, they STILL showed the repeat!

And what's this I hear? They're getting rid of WWF because of it's 'extreme nature.' Supposedly, it's 'too hard to edit,' although it's shown at past midnight, and their have been a few complaints about the crazy stunts and the way they portray women.

John Bayer, Director of Media Watch UK, slammed the move. He said, "On one hand they transmit disgraceful programmmes such as Brass Eye and on the other hand they have a dislike of wrestling, which is just acting and healthy messing around. Their double standards are incomprehensable."

I completely agree. Brasseye wasn't funny, it was disgusting, and I expect it offended many people. How'd you think people who had actually been affected by the subject felt??

I was also shocked to see (not sure about her name,) but that women who starred in great comedies such as Beast and Smack The Pony, playing a large role in the program!

So Channel 4 think that Sports-Entertainment is wrong, and Brasseye is right. Wrestling is very popular in the UK, and the 4 PPV's that they show over the whole year, as well as the weekly edition of Sunday Night Heat, must get them a lot of viewers. Their have been hardly any complaints, and it's now been changed from an afternoon showing to a late night showing. Brasseye, which was shown at around 10pm I think, has now had over 2000 complaints, they show it twice and have still done nothing about it.

I am very annoyed at the actions of Channel 4. It's probably one of my favourite channels as it shows class programs such as Friends, Frasier, South Park and has good coverage of the Cricket. And of course, it did have WWF.

I would like to hear your views, and if you actually liked Brasseye, please tell me why as I am shocked that anyone could actually enjoy a programme with such dirty, offensive material.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Thu 02/08/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And what I actually put in my "highly offensive post" was:

By all means, have your opinions. Disagree with something, complain. But make sure your complaints and views are directly and solely to do with the subject at hand, and make sure you are informed of the situation.
Thu 02/08/01 at 16:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
sandman wrote:

His
> 'Mind your own business' post was utterly offensive in its tone.

I trust you stopped reading and ignored it then.
Thu 02/08/01 at 15:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
sandman wrote:
He told people not to post unless they phoned
> channel 4. Why shouldn't we? Or we should shut the hell up. He
> then called us utterly ill educated, reactionary and goddam stupid.
> We should go back to watching Eastenders.

I started off by trying to explain this show and was met with shouting continously.
I put "Either phone these numbers or shut the hell up" because,if you read my posts, I have said by all means complain, but do it to the people that made the show.
Simply because most people didn't watch it and were mouthing off in here, and when presented with the ability to voice their unhappiness, backed down.

THAT is why I got angry, because complain all you want to, but to the right people. And DON'T complain when you have no basis on which to talk, by not watching the show you are admitting that your opinion is based solely on the versions supplied by others.
Yes, I have labelled people ill educated, reactionary and goddamn stupid because, based on the behaviour here, that is exactly what some of these people are.

Don't moan and whine in here about something you didnt watch, and then bottle out when someone says "Go on then, tell the people to their face".
It's one thing appearing outraged where nobody can argue back, but it's another to refuse to stand up for your convictions in the face of those that can say "Well, hang on a minute" and defend themselves.

Admit it, you have tried to tell people not to talk on the
> suject Goatboy. You have also complained that you are fed up of
> people complaining about the show.

No, I didnt tell people not to talk on the subject, I told people to talk with authority on the programme based on watching it, otherwise it's redundant to scream about how disgusting it was when you didn't even see it.
It's not intellectualy snobbery at all, it is someone that has listened to people scream and shout, and they say "I didn't see it, but"...
And even if it was intellectual snobbery, so what?
Why be ashamed to say "I know more than you on this subject?", being informed and articulate is nothing to be ashamed of.
However, I have not done this at all.

Did you follow your own
> advice? If you don't like it don't read it. Go to another thread.
> No, you repeatedly posted, insulting others for having beliefs, as
> if yours were the final word on the matter and you are the only
> person whose opinion on the matter (in this case Brass Eye) is
> intelligent and considered. That, in my opinion, is arrogant and
> blinkered.

And that is your opinion, fine, enjoy it.
I have not said that mine is the final word on this subject, I'm saying that out of all you people trying to comment on it, how many watched it?
3. Three people actually watched the show, yet everyone felt they could chuck their opinions in.
Which is cool, except they are not their own opinions, they are regurgitated from news reports and other people saying "Oh how terrible"

And for everyone that rode the moral highway and said "I think it's sick", how many actually believed that enough to ring the two numbers provided?
Exactly nobody had to guts to telephone the people that are responsible for upsetting them so much, which pretty much tells me all I need to know about the validity of their complaints.

So, just to make it clear to you and anyone else that didn't read my posts:

Complain all you like. Make sure you know what you are complaining about though, otherwise you come off sounding pretty daft.
And if you feel strongly enough to complain and attack me personally, then ring those numbers and make your voice be heard.
Not one single person, except for yourself, was able to list any particular scene from this show. As far as I can tell, you are the only person to have watched it.

Everyone else?
Just forget about it, you lost your chance to be taken seriously when you backed away from phoning C4 and the ITC.
Don't slam me for talking about something that I actually bothered to watch.

And for goodness sake, don't watch the final repeat on tonight.

And sandman, thanks for the personal attacks dude, I think I'm going to cry or something now...*sniff sniff*

Someone has to stand up at some point and say "Shut up, you have no clue what you're saying here."
I did it, and I'll do it again, call me what you will.
Thu 02/08/01 at 15:03
I'm not going to bother posting on this subject anymore and it looks like it's not worth anyone else bothering either.

Goatboy's intellect is obviously far superior to our own. We were wrong to have our own opinions.

I had quite enjoyed the debate on these topics recently, for once a familair topic to this site (Chris Morris) was a national debate and it provoked some lively conversation. My opinion of the show differed to Goatboy's and I believed that I aired my reservations in a quite reasonable manner.

Goatboy, however, seems increasingly to have seen this as his personal crusade and would probably defend any action Morris ever makes as he seems to have an almost dogmatic zeal on the subject which prevents him listening to any other opinions.

His 'Mind your own business' post was utterly offensive in its tone. He claimed to have no point told people they were wrong for commenting or wrong for complaining. But in the last couple of days he has done that constantly. He told people not to post unless they phoned channel 4. Why shouldn't we? Or we should shut the hell up. He then called us utterly ill educated, reactionary and goddam stupid. We should go back to watching Eastenders.

This is quite simply pathetic elitism from an intellectual snob who is so wrapped up in his own self of self-importance he has forgotten why these forums exist. Admit it, you have tried to tell people not to talk on the suject Goatboy. You have also complained that you are fed up of people complaining about the show.

Did you follow your own advice? If you don't like it don't read it. Go to another thread. No, you repeatedly posted, insulting others for having beliefs, as if yours were the final word on the matter and you are the only person whose opinion on the matter (in this case Brass Eye) is intelligent and considered. That, in my opinion, is arrogant and blinkered.

Go back to bed UKchatforums, Goatboy is in control...
Thu 02/08/01 at 14:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I believe the way to say that and offend people would be:

Who says we have to protect the idiots?

I will leave this planet the moment we are wrapped in cotton wool and looked after like drooling retards, protected from all nasty stimuli in case we get agitated and foul ourselves.

We don't live in a Disney World, thank christ, and as long as there are people willing to operate outside of the lines, then we still have a chance of evolving and becoming closer to our potential.
Thu 02/08/01 at 14:14
Regular
Wookiee, the reason we're suing (sp? sueing doesn't look right) a lot is becuase of those bloodt claims direct adverts!

Christ, they are SO annoying. I'm tempted to phone up and claim, I imagine the conversation would go like this:

YH: Hello, I want to claim.
CD: Of course, against who?
YH: You?
CD: Really? Why?
YH: I tripped over my table and broke my leg.
CD: How is that our fault?
YH: YOUR ADVERT IS SO ANNOYING I RUSHED OVER TO THE TELLY TO TURN IT OFF, TRIPPING OVER THE TABLE IN THE PROCESS!
Thu 02/08/01 at 14:05
"High polygon count"
sandman wrote:
>However, I do believe that as it could upset people and
> have a detrimental effect on our society I would rather not have it
> aired in the first place.

I didn't see the episode, but I wish I had, just to know exactly how it came across.

Anyway, call me cold, hard, uncaring or whatever - but I don't believe that we should refrain from doing things just because it *might* upset a certain group of people.

People seem to be getting more and more easy to upset (maybe something to do with how easy it's getting to sue for compensation?) over the smallest things, and if we stopped doing everything that might upset someone, somewhere, then we'd all sit indoors without saying or doing anything. Just say it/do it, and accept the consequences.

Sorry if that didn't come out too well, but I had to rush it. If I've offended anyone... well, never mind, eh?
Thu 02/08/01 at 13:29
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ant wrote:
> I did see most of Brasseye, until I finally realized that I
> PERSONALLY, didn't like it, and turned the TV off.

And this is the best and adult way to deal with it.
You did a sensible thing Any, you decided it wasn't for you and turned it off.

I'd just like
> to make this point here-I'm not complaining for Brasseye to be
> banned. Yeah, I didn't like it, but I just won't watch it.

Ok, Ant gets what I've been trying to say with wordy posts and rants.
Watch it or don't, that simple. Nobody held a gun to your head and made you.
Ant realised it wasn't for him, so turned it over.

Also, when I posted this topic, I did not know
> about Chris Morris-and his style of work. I now understand it a
> little better

That is the whole problem with this situation.
The people that know about Morris and like him are aware of his style and what he does.
People that just tuned it because the papers said to, missed the whole point because his comedy is very, very close to the edge.
If you don't know Morris and what he does, then it could be misinterpreted.
However, through trying to explain what Morris does, Ant is now aware and can approach anything further by Morris in full awareness of what he will see.

Whether he chooses to watch anything futher is his own decision, but at least now he knows what to expect.

Thanks Ant for calmly and intelligently making your points mate, it's appreciated
Thu 02/08/01 at 13:16
Regular
"I like cheese"
I did see most of Brasseye, until I finally realized that I PERSONALLY, didn't like it, and turned the TV off.

I'd just like to make this point here-I'm not complaining for Brasseye to be banned. Yeah, I didn't like it, but I just won't watch it. What I was annoyed about was C4 taking wrestling off for hardly any reasons whatsoever, and keeping programs such as Brasseye which had over 2000 complaints.

Also, when I posted this topic, I did not know about Chris Morris-and his style of work. I now understand it a little better (thanks to Goatboy,) but I am still a little miffed as to why they took WWF off.
Wed 01/08/01 at 21:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The point and reason for the Brass Eye special was not to laugh at paedophiles and their acts.
If you watch it without the hype, you will see that at no point are any acts of child-abuse condoned or encouraged.
In fact, any paedophiles shown are the victims of verbal and physical abuse, they are never seen to be "heroes" or "good people".

The whole point of this show was to highlight the hysterical nature in which the media deals with this subject.
One section was a news report on an angry mob outside a prison, trying to launch themselves inside to murder a soon-to-be-released sex offender by way of giant catapult. This mob end up burning the offender inside a 20ft phallus.
The report then went on to say that all children should be rounded up in stadiums for their own protection, and that one paedophile attempted "overhead perversion" but was "shot down by police where he crashed into some power lines, screaming like a pig in war"

But, as is the usual, everyone missed the point of Brass Eye and Morris in their rush to brand this show "sick" and to scream at Channel 4.
Who seriously believes that Channel 4 would broadcast a programme that advocated child molesting?
They didn't, but nobody (and especially people here) took the time to understand that.

Everyone charged in and started yelling and shouting, without either watching or understanding the programme.

Whether Morris was funny or not is not what is being discussed, it is the morality of the show.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.