GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GT4 - HOW good?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gran Turismo 4 (GT4)'.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:16
"possibly impossible"
Very, is the word I'm looking for. A friend of mine in the local games shop has an import copy of Prologue and I had a chance to have a go.

Firstly, it's worth getting prologue for the 'making of' alone. It shows what goes on behind the scenes to create such an accurate game.

Secondly, the new tracks are lovely, though the narrow street tracks I played are a little annoying as you can't pass on them.

Ah, yes, that brings me to the niggle. When you touch another car or a wall you get a penalty which involves slowing down to 30mph for 10 seconds. This IS annoying and not being able to read Japanese, I couldn't work out if it can be turned off. Ok, so it makes the game harder and tries to improve your skill, but it really gets on your nerves after a while.
Fri 30/04/04 at 18:17
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Darwock wrote:
> Just stop driving into walls, it's not that difficult to work out. If
> everybody got the damage system they are always bleating about they'd
> have to contend with the same problem.

No matter how good you are, you're still going to hit a wall at some point. Don't you think hitting the wall is punishment enough? And I don't think that a damage system is the same thing really, you can dent body parts and still go on without having a time penalty. I really can't see them keeping the time penalty in it though, because it will put people off the game.
Fri 30/04/04 at 17:56
Regular
But that's so much more fun.

It's tactical. Making a penalty is almost as if the developers are saying "FUN? FREEDOM? Oh no no no. We'll have none of that here. What d'you think this is, a game? It's realism people."
Fri 30/04/04 at 16:25
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Having a 10 second speed penalty everytime you touch other cars is
> just retarded.

Spot the person who's never played GT4:Prologue.. either that or your idea of 'touching' is smacking into a braking opponent at 100 mph, since it's only this sort of situation that is likely to result in a penalty.

Like I said further down, people like that are better off being discouraged from playing.
Fri 30/04/04 at 14:15
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> That penalty system is essential for the online play. If there's one
> complaint I've heard about PGR2 it's that it's populated by retards
> who think a good race involves smacking into as many of the other
> players as possible. That could never be allowed to happen in GT..
> it's always sold itself as a serious racer rather than an arcade
> muckabout.

That the stupidest idea for a racing game ever. The majority of people don't drive like idiots on PGR2 online anyway , and when they do they either get kicked or receive abuse from the whole room. Having a 10 second speed penalty everytime you touch other cars is just retarded. They could at least go the way TOCA2 is online so every time you hit someone your cars engine gets damaged and you probably come off the worst from the crash, if they want realism then they gotta have some kinds of collision detection, not a 10 second penalty.
Fri 30/04/04 at 12:24
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Instead of whining about the lack of damage if it was actually included we'd go from:

*waaaaa why is there no damage, waaaaa*

to

*waaaaa my car keeps getting damaged and driving really slowly after i smash into a wall at 200mph*

Like you said, quite simply stay on the track, the whole idea of race driving is to get to the finish line without getting damaged. If you want a damage fest go play Destruction Derby
Fri 30/04/04 at 09:41
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Just stop driving into walls, it's not that difficult to work out. If everybody got the damage system they are always bleating about they'd have to contend with the same problem.
Thu 29/04/04 at 18:40
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Lou Role wrote:
> I'm not sure whether to get GT4 or not. I doubt it'll offer enough
> improvement over GT3, apart from the graphics of course.

I'm actually looking forward to GT4 a little more now. I've been playing GT3 all day and I've been enjoying it. I remember a while back, someone said they prefered GT3 ovcer PGR because of PGR's cone challenges and such, while playing GT3 today I think I know what they were going on about, because GT is ALL about the racing and the tracks feel as though they are designed for racing on. Whereas in PGR you feel as though you're just racing along closed off public roads, because, well, basically that's what you are doing.

If the AI in GT4 is improved and they scrap that damned time penalty for hitting walls, then I'll probably buy it. I can see the advantage of the time penalyt for online play, but is there really any need for it during the single player mode?
Wed 21/04/04 at 19:36
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Bonus wrote:
> PGR2 sucks when people or the computer crash into you and get an
> advantage. It is really annoying, in a real race they'd be
> disqualified for that sort of behaviour.

Meh, racing incident.

;)
Wed 21/04/04 at 18:18
"possibly impossible"
Once you're used to it, it works well and adds a much better sense of skill. But I'd still like to have the option of turning it off on arcade mode...
Wed 21/04/04 at 17:25
Regular
GT4 will need a sense of freedom. The penalty system will be really annoying.

Deliberately driving in front/behind people, or knocking the back of their car to make them spin out are all manouveurs that carry their own sense of risk to each player. However, they add to the experience of the game, and it's entirely feasible to prevent people pushing you back due to offensive/defensive tactics if you're a good enough driver.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.