GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GT4 - HOW good?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gran Turismo 4 (GT4)'.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:16
"possibly impossible"
Very, is the word I'm looking for. A friend of mine in the local games shop has an import copy of Prologue and I had a chance to have a go.

Firstly, it's worth getting prologue for the 'making of' alone. It shows what goes on behind the scenes to create such an accurate game.

Secondly, the new tracks are lovely, though the narrow street tracks I played are a little annoying as you can't pass on them.

Ah, yes, that brings me to the niggle. When you touch another car or a wall you get a penalty which involves slowing down to 30mph for 10 seconds. This IS annoying and not being able to read Japanese, I couldn't work out if it can be turned off. Ok, so it makes the game harder and tries to improve your skill, but it really gets on your nerves after a while.
Tue 20/04/04 at 20:53
"possibly impossible"
Update on the 'making of' thing:

Yes, you have to complete the first set of licences and it will then appear on the main menu. Well worth watching though.
Tue 20/04/04 at 20:59
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
does the finished version come with "the making of" thing because i like that kinda stuff, or is it a prolouge speacial?
Tue 20/04/04 at 21:57
Regular
Lou Role wrote:
> I don't mean to sound like a moaning old bagger, but I just can't be
> bothered playing through another GT game. I now find them a little
> boring because I prefer games with a more arcadey approach, like
> Burnout for example.

Once again, you've hit the nail on the head. You've been on a role recently :)

It's the uber realism in GT3 that deters me from playing it. The beauty of PGR2 is that it blends arcade gameplay with realism to give a fun game that also takes skill. It's superb.
Tue 20/04/04 at 23:38
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'll definitly be buying it for the online aspect (although the single player is a damn good reason to buy it as well)

The main gripe i have with gran turismo is the AI of the other cars (not too bothered about damage) if you're racing against 5 other people then that problem should be sorted if you have some decent gamers to race against. Looking forward to it alot
Tue 20/04/04 at 23:55
"possibly impossible"
be§§ant™ wrote:
> does the finished version come with "the making of" thing
> because i like that kinda stuff, or is it a prolouge speacial?

Prologue is just a cut down version of the full game, so that people can enjoy it early and for a cheaper price. Not sure if the video will be in the full version, but I would imagine it is only on prologue as an extra.
Wed 21/04/04 at 00:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Mav wrote:
> Lou Role wrote:
> I don't mean to sound like a moaning old bagger, but I just can't be
> bothered playing through another GT game. I now find them a little
> boring because I prefer games with a more arcadey approach, like
> Burnout for example.
>
> Once again, you've hit the nail on the head. You've been on a role
> recently :)
>
> It's the uber realism in GT3 that deters me from playing it. The
> beauty of PGR2 is that it blends arcade gameplay with realism to give
> a fun game that also takes skill. It's superb.

I hate serious racers, and love PGR2.

Genius, genius game.
Wed 21/04/04 at 00:14
Regular
PGR2 sucks when people or the computer crash into you and get an advantage. It is really annoying, in a real race they'd be disqualified for that sort of behaviour and there is no penalty for it, by the sounds of things GT4 has a penalty system for intentionally hitting other cars.

I like that idea.
Wed 21/04/04 at 00:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
How does a game decide intention and accident?

True, the main flaw in PGR2 is getting hit and spinning madly, but on Live with decent players, and offline it's a very rare occurence and not really that annoying.
Wed 21/04/04 at 00:20
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Cyclone wrote:

> I hate serious racers, and love PGR2.
>
> Genius, genius game.

I'm the exact opposite, can't stand arcadey games. Give me realistic simulation every time
Wed 21/04/04 at 10:11
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
You have to hit something pretty hard for the penalty to take effect, to be honest I think it will put off a lot of people - but these are the kind of people who would spoil the online experience anyway.

I've read many posts on here from people bemoaning the lack of damage, saying how they want to race the wrong way round the track and see a big explosion of parts. These are the kind of people who won't want to brake for corners or to avoid other cars, will get penalised for it, and will say the game is rubbish.

But if we had to race with idiots like that, it would make the game rubbish for the rest of us too.

To reiterate then, penalty system ROCKS.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.