GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GT4 - HOW good?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gran Turismo 4 (GT4)'.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:16
"possibly impossible"
Very, is the word I'm looking for. A friend of mine in the local games shop has an import copy of Prologue and I had a chance to have a go.

Firstly, it's worth getting prologue for the 'making of' alone. It shows what goes on behind the scenes to create such an accurate game.

Secondly, the new tracks are lovely, though the narrow street tracks I played are a little annoying as you can't pass on them.

Ah, yes, that brings me to the niggle. When you touch another car or a wall you get a penalty which involves slowing down to 30mph for 10 seconds. This IS annoying and not being able to read Japanese, I couldn't work out if it can be turned off. Ok, so it makes the game harder and tries to improve your skill, but it really gets on your nerves after a while.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:16
"possibly impossible"
Very, is the word I'm looking for. A friend of mine in the local games shop has an import copy of Prologue and I had a chance to have a go.

Firstly, it's worth getting prologue for the 'making of' alone. It shows what goes on behind the scenes to create such an accurate game.

Secondly, the new tracks are lovely, though the narrow street tracks I played are a little annoying as you can't pass on them.

Ah, yes, that brings me to the niggle. When you touch another car or a wall you get a penalty which involves slowing down to 30mph for 10 seconds. This IS annoying and not being able to read Japanese, I couldn't work out if it can be turned off. Ok, so it makes the game harder and tries to improve your skill, but it really gets on your nerves after a while.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:37
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
gt3 is excellent,and i'm sure gt4 will be even better,
could you tell from the proluoge if there was any kinda seperate modes?
gt3 only had gt mode and arcade, would have bee nice to have a slalom or some challeging modes. although i don't really care if it doesn't have extra modes. improved graphics or no visble diffrence? and can you use the d-pad because i'm hopeless with the stick.
Sun 18/04/04 at 18:03
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Yeah, I like racing games, and although I prefer the high-octane thrill of a game like F-Zero GX, I'll probably end up picking up GT4 just for some of the quality cars on show.
Sun 18/04/04 at 18:55
"possibly impossible"
Graphics are a lot better, much more reflection and light-sourcing on the cars for a start. In fact, it's closer to the replays on GT3 than the in-game graphics.

As far as I can tell there are only 2 game modes again, same as in GT3.

Not sure about using the D-pad, I'll have to check that one out next time I'm around the town.

There is some concern over whether the video will make it to the European launch of Prologue, but at least we're getting it, unlike the US. Supposed to be coming out here at the end of May, but that's still rumour.
Sun 18/04/04 at 20:09
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I'm not sure whether to get GT4 or not. I doubt it'll offer enough improvement over GT3, apart from the graphics of course.
Sun 18/04/04 at 20:26
"period drama"
That sounds like the most retarded idea ever.

+ me already hating GT

= muh x10
Mon 19/04/04 at 19:35
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> That sounds like the most retarded idea ever.
>
> + me already hating GT
>
> = muh x10

what idea?
how can somebody like final fantasy and not gran turismo??
(don't state the obvouis)
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:19
"period drama"
pb wrote:
> Ah, yes, that brings me to the niggle. When you touch another car or
> a wall you get a penalty which involves slowing down to 30mph for 10
> seconds. This IS annoying and not being able to read Japanese, I
> couldn't work out if it can be turned off. Ok, so it makes the game
> harder and tries to improve your skill, but it really gets on your
> nerves after a while.

This idea.
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:22
Regular
"gsybe you!"
pb wrote:
> > Ah, yes, that brings me to the niggle. When you touch another car or
> a wall you get a penalty which involves slowing down to 30mph for 10
> seconds. This IS annoying and not being able to read Japanese, I
> couldn't work out if it can be turned off. Ok, so it makes the game
> harder and tries to improve your skill, but it really gets on your
> nerves after a while.

That's not a niggle, that's just utter retardness. Oh so obviously 'realistic' then...

Copy the Kudos system from PGR2 - excellent way of playing.
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:51
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
That penalty system is essential for the online play. If there's one complaint I've heard about PGR2 it's that it's populated by retards who think a good race involves smacking into as many of the other players as possible. That could never be allowed to happen in GT.. it's always sold itself as a serious racer rather than an arcade muckabout.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.