GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GT4 - HOW good?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gran Turismo 4 (GT4)'.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:16
"possibly impossible"
Very, is the word I'm looking for. A friend of mine in the local games shop has an import copy of Prologue and I had a chance to have a go.

Firstly, it's worth getting prologue for the 'making of' alone. It shows what goes on behind the scenes to create such an accurate game.

Secondly, the new tracks are lovely, though the narrow street tracks I played are a little annoying as you can't pass on them.

Ah, yes, that brings me to the niggle. When you touch another car or a wall you get a penalty which involves slowing down to 30mph for 10 seconds. This IS annoying and not being able to read Japanese, I couldn't work out if it can be turned off. Ok, so it makes the game harder and tries to improve your skill, but it really gets on your nerves after a while.
Mon 19/04/04 at 22:20
Regular
I got my copy today, penalty system is a bit pants and the engine sound gets annoying.

Was wondering about that "making of" video talked about, pb... is it on a seperate disk or something or am I not looking hard enough?
Mon 19/04/04 at 22:40
"possibly impossible"
Go to the end credit movie. I don't think you have to unlock it or anything, but then I haven't been the one playing it non stop!
Tue 20/04/04 at 01:21
Regular
Cheers, I was thinking it might have been that... theres something about credits that scare me though. Maybe hundreds of names flashing across the screen. Hoho.
Tue 20/04/04 at 01:33
Regular
Lou Role wrote:
> I'm not sure whether to get GT4 or not. I doubt it'll offer enough
> improvement over GT3, apart from the graphics of course.

It will be online.

If this game was just a rereleased GT3 but with full online support, I'd buy it anyway. The AI in GT games sucks, real humans to race against, now this will be good.

I can't put PGR2 down on my Xbox because I play it on Live, and the Gran Tourismo games are better than the PGR games, so I want it now :D
Tue 20/04/04 at 17:09
Regular
I prefer Project Gotham. I didn't enjoy GT3.

Metropolis Street Racer, PGR and PGR2 were all very good.
Tue 20/04/04 at 18:37
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Lou Role wrote:
> I'm not sure whether to get GT4 or not. I doubt it'll offer enough
> improvement over GT3, apart from the graphics of course.

Bonus wrote:
> It will be online.

I don't buy games for online play: online play doesn't interest me in the slightest so if that's the biggest improvement, then I doubt I'll buy it.
Tue 20/04/04 at 18:45
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I don't think it'll matter if you buy it or not, there should be plenty of other people to race against!
Tue 20/04/04 at 18:51
Regular
The physics, AI and graphics have been tweaked.

There will be all new tracks and 500 cars, rather than the 190 in GT3.

Oh, and did I mention that you will be able to race against real live people online, woohoo that's good :D
Tue 20/04/04 at 19:09
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I don't mean to sound like a moaning old bagger, but I just can't be bothered playing through another GT game. I now find them a little boring because I prefer games with a more arcadey approach, like Burnout for example.
Tue 20/04/04 at 19:17
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
unfortunatly i don't have my ps2 online so i don't care about online stuff. unless....

it came out on PC, that will never happen though because its made by the people that make PS2, SONY! hence i will just be thrashing my car around the course into the walls and then penalty ARGH!!

everybody argues and calls me nasty things when i say this but...

i think GT3 is better than PGR2 or 1 or any other racing game i have played. (you can insult all you like you will never convert me!!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.