GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Mum, I’ve lost my computer.........""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/07/01 at 00:22
Regular
How small can they get...?

Mobile phones at first started out like breeze blocks…then bricks….and now they’re smaller than your hand (That is unless you have really tiny hands!)

Computers started out as big operating machines about the size of a car, that at their best managed to print out a few pages of text...and from then on they have got smaller and smaller…

First PCs, then smaller PCs, then laptops, and now you can even use a mobile phone to do many things a computer does. And Game Consoles are the same, just keep getting smaller and smaller.

In their time these large components were apparently “as small as they could get”, but No, we just keep proving ourselves wrong and making them smaller.

Yes, you know what I’m getting to…The GameCube... It is about 10cm x 15cm… I mean do we really need these game consoles this small? (I’m not having a dig at Nintendo)

I always use to view my computer as a house hold object, along with the washing machine and microwave!

I could never lose my computer; it was never going to move.

I would never have thought I would see the day where I heard “Mum, I’ve lost my computer”, “Don’t worry Son, I found it down the back of the sofa this morning”.
Can you imagine trying to squash your PC down the back of your sofa! It just wouldn’t happen.

Why is it we are always looking for the smallest next best thing?

Will we in 10 years time be saying, “My computer’s TOO small, I want a bigger one” ?!

What I am asking you is, can computers or game consoles get any smaller and if so will this be a good or bad thing?
Sun 22/07/01 at 09:45
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i
Sun 22/07/01 at 00:39
Regular
"How Handy."
GasMask wrote:
>Trust me computers will be wearable in a
> couple of years. I have seen prototypes.

You've seen prototypes? then surely shouldn't think that computers WONT be wearable? anyway, why would you want a computer to be wearable, I'd keep walking into things.
Sun 22/07/01 at 00:36
If they get any smaller they could get lost or breaking easily - imagine your horror when you find out you've put your pocket PC through the washing machine after you left it in the back pocket of your jeans. Nightmare! Also, I am worried that if I get a GC my dog will mistake it for a chew toy, and it will go the same way as a larger-than-average number of other expensive, small electrical goods.
Sat 21/07/01 at 22:59
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
They would stop at a point otherwise the computers would be too small. Too small to use. They will be as small as a Cd-Rom, a Processor, a Floppy Disk could all fit inside. Also ram and room for upgrades. If they got smaller than that the Cd-Rom’s would have to be remade, It will happen in time but it would take 10 years+ for the Disks to be circulated. Trust me computers will be wearable in a couple of years. I have seen prototypes.
Sat 21/07/01 at 22:47
Regular
GasMask wrote:
The smaller that the computers get the more money they will cost because, the components will have to be smaller but still being able to do the equivalent or better than a bigger component, meaning the parts for that component will have to be smaller and too make them smaller the company who makes the parts will have to spend more money, causing the sales prices to go up.

OK....so I've asked how small you think computers can get......How expensive can they get? And how much would you be willing to pay?
Sat 21/07/01 at 21:39
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
That’s a thought... “Mum I’ve lost my computer” “You didn’t put it in your pocket again did you?” “ummmm” (the washing machine stops) “oh look what I’ve found son” “Gulp” “yes you guess it, now cough up that £500 pound for a new one”

Imagine that.

The smaller that the computers get the more money they will cost because, the components will have to be smaller but still being able to do the equivalent or better than a bigger component, meaning the parts for that component will have to be smaller and too make them smaller the company who makes the parts will have to spend more money, causing the sales prices to go up.

Like the mobile phones, the new 8210’s pay as you go cost two arms and two legs! ;). But the old Motorola phones cost £40 or in the region of. The 8210’s are smaller but feature more technology, which must mean that the parts inside are smaller but more complicated.

The manufacturers are making things smaller and smaller all the time but will they get to a point when it is to small? Me, I think it’s a trick, making them so small we lose them and have to buy a new one.

Take the monitors on computer, I have seen a 17 inch ;) monitor but is smaller than a 16 inch. How I hear you cry, its simple the visible area is getting bigger and the technology is getting smaller so they stuff it all behind the actual monitor, not coming out the sides. They look absolutely gorgeous but the price doesn’t, £500+ for a new monitor. BAH!

Thanks for reading
Gas
Sat 21/07/01 at 21:18
Just to let you know a cd-rw laptop came out a couple of months ago.

Even though laptops are good, they cant be upgraded as much as pcs can. I use a laptop, BUT I CANT GET A GRPAHICS CARD UPGRADE THEREFORE DISABLING ME FROM PLAYING 3D DIRECT GAMES LIKE B&W, AAAARRRRGGGHHHHUUURRRRGGGHHHH.

Sorry.
Sat 21/07/01 at 21:08
Maybe, with 3G!
Sat 21/07/01 at 21:05
Regular
Do you think we will see games on mobile phones soon?

No, I dont mean snakes and racket, I mean proper games.

You cant underestimate it because the GameBoy black and white model isnt all that special (graphics i mean)

So will we be seeing Gran Turismo on our mobile phones in the future?!
Sat 21/07/01 at 17:48
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
cooldogs wrote:
> Isnt a square disk a floppy?

If yur going to have a square disk,
> then, it wont be able to spin round. If It cant spin round then to
> be read, it will have to have a moving laser beam thing that reads
> it inside. Now it only moves in a straight line, and the disk spins
> so it can read the entire DVD or CD., but if it's going to be
> square, the beam will have to move in a 2D action, easily getting
> confused, and more likely to break.

Now what I'm about to say
> may sound a bit stupid, but if you put a CD into a drive, then you
> have a 1/2 chance of putting in in the right side, so that it can be
> read. BUT if you have a square disk, and put it in a drive, then you
> have a 1/8 chance of it being right. This will mean that you can
> scratch the square CD and could break it if you put it in the worng
> way.

Sorry but I dont like the idea of a square CD

seeya

The new "square" disks aren't like floppys or CD's. In most cases the disk moves and is read by a laser. In this new technology the laser moves. The laser is split in two and once it goes through the proccess creates a hologram of the data. It will be able to store alot more data than DVD's and transfer rates will be much faster. It won't be around for about 3-4 years though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.